Really? Doug Marrs

SteveEurkel

Saw in the paper that parents, students and teachers were behind Doug Marrs. Everyone I know is against the man and now all of a sudden people are for him? I know of plenty of times that this man has cheated players and students out of grades and playing time while at Graham High School. He is a disgrace to football and Graham High School. I will never stand for Doug, and had I known the meeting was taking place I would have went and expressed my opinions. Did anyone on this board step up and speak there mind or was Doug allowed to fix this meeting with the people he wanted there?? This man is a joke as a teacher and a football coach, and I'm not talking about the wins or losses..I'm talking about how a coach in high school should teach the children how to carry themselves in a manner that is respectable and not cocky and arrogant.

Saw in the paper that parents, students and teachers were behind Doug Marrs. Everyone I know is against the man and now all of a sudden people are for him? I know of plenty of times that this man has cheated players and students out of grades and playing time while at Graham High School. He is a disgrace to football and Graham High School. I will never stand for Doug, and had I known the meeting was taking place I would have went and expressed my opinions. Did anyone on this board step up and speak there mind or was Doug allowed to fix this meeting with the people he wanted there?? This man is a joke as a teacher and a football coach, and I'm not talking about the wins or losses..I'm talking about how a coach in high school should teach the children how to carry themselves in a manner that is respectable and not cocky and arrogant.

From what I've heard people are for Doug, they are just more against one of the assistant coaches

From what I've heard people are for Doug, they are just more against one of the assistant coaches

I think the majority of the players were against weecee (don jones) who is actually who runs the football team. I've heard though that weecee isn't coming back next year...hopefully this is true!

its funny...we a team wins nobody complains......when a team is not that good, and doesn't have much talent, everyone starts to whine about the coach. I don't know the man, but when you play the schedule that Graham plays with the talent that Graham has, what do you excpect. I am glad I played back in the 90's, and I am glad my coaches yelled at us, helped us deal with pressure. If you can't deal with pressure, what good are you!!! One of these days, a boss is going to yell at an employee....So I guess this generation will just quit their job b/c someone yelled at them......

Sounds like the "parents, students, and teachers" you mentioned don't pay any attention whatsoever to the world around them. Anyone who's taken even the briefest glance at this board in the past year can make a list of reasons why. If he actually does have that much support, what I want to say, I can't.

People are all talk. The second someone replaces Marrs, everyone will be rank-and-file in support of the replacement. Once that man is gone, the next guy will have everyone rank-and-file behind him. In perpetuam.

From what those actually involved have said, Doug isn't really the problem. It's his staff apparently. And if Doug were really removed as coach, the next guy would have the same crap being thrown at him if he were to get the same results. It's true that you need more than a few people to be a successful team, but if you don't have coaches that the kids respect then you definitely won't be winning games.

I'd like to see Roach, Wyatt, Walkoff and Robert Henry on the sidelines in some way, shape or form....I'd also like to see the kids conditioning and practicing harder, doesn't seem like a tough practice at all when I watch them. Practice should be harder than the games, in my opinion, the game should be a break from practice.

I'd like to see Roach, Wyatt, Walkoff and Robert Henry on the sidelines in some way, shape or form....I'd also like to see the kids conditioning and practicing harder, doesn't seem like a tough practice at all when I watch them. Practice should be harder than the games, in my opinion, the game should be a break from practice.

Much better coaching staff. We've at least seen that all of them know SOMETHING about the game.

I can't say anything about how he is as a football coach or a coach in general I have no idea. But, I can say 100% for certain he is one of the WORST teachers I ever had my whole life. He has absolutely no business as an educator period.

Much better coaching staff. We've at least seen that all of them know SOMETHING about the game.

the only thing is you can know everything about the game but that in itself does not nor will not make you a good coach of young people . you need a lot more. you need people skills to be able to motivate the kids, show respect for them and you will earn their respect. you can look at every level of football and see people that know something about the game and cannot coach. it takes time to become a good coach. along with the above.

• 3 weeks later...

agreed 1000%, practices should get you READY for the games, including full contact, full speed drills. the only day you should get to relax is the Thursday practice for the walk through. i play soccer in college and our practices are wayyyyyyyy harder than the games because we have conditioning, drills, sprints, drills, sprints, intra-squad scrimmage, then possibly more conditioning depending on the intensity of practice.

I just wish they'd make up their minds on this situation. If this was going on anywhere besides Tazewell County (and maybe Princeton), They would've made a decision one way or another. I have a sinking feeling that he'll be roaming the sidelines next season...

For the life of me, I can't see why he would even want to stay....after all of the uproar.

i've been hearing that doug marrs is bringing a VERY large lawsuit on the school board... which would make sense why his gold cadi has been on main st. pretty regularly

It all depends on his contract. Everything now is really conjecture, I think.

Let's just say, I have a little insight into how the county schools work. IF Doug's going to be fired, it will have been checked, double-checked, and triple-checked to prevent inaccuracy. That's "if" he is fired. The more likely option is that they wouldn't renew his contract. And if they don't, you're pretty much SOL.

It all depends on his contract. Everything now is really conjecture, I think.

Let's just say, I have a little insight into how the county schools work. IF Doug's going to be fired, it will have been checked, double-checked, and triple-checked to prevent inaccuracy. That's "if" he is fired. The more likely option is that they wouldn't renew his contract. And if they don't, you're pretty much SOL.

Unless they gave a reason for dismissing him. Then they have to prove that reason is actual facts. If it can not be proven, Old Doug will be just fine in court. Case in point. John Kuzko of JI Burton vs Norton City Schools. Winner Kuzko.

Unless they gave a reason for dismissing him. Then they have to prove that reason is actual facts. If it can not be proven, Old Doug will be just fine in court. Case in point. John Kuzko of JI Burton vs Norton City Schools. Winner Kuzko.

Didn't Kuzko have family serious legal clout in Norton and Wise?

As for Marrs, it will depend on if he is only removed as Coach, v. removing a teacher. Even though Virginia is an "at will" state which means any employee can be removed without cause, being a tenured teacher under a contract means that there is the burden on the employer to grant due process to the employee. My guess, the the coaching contract is year to year, and therefore "at will."

I lean with Observer that the SB is following legal counsel's advise and covering their bases. If they do so, that serves as an affirmative defense for the SB in court.

Wave, it all depends on the terms and conditions of his contract. You cannot predict a winner based solely upon hearsay and others' experiences without looking at that specific contract first. As I say, it's almost entirely conjecture at this point. The presumption is, though, that TCSB has reasonable grounds for terminating a contract. The burden is on Douggie to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that TCSB did not. As Hacker says, too, there must be opportunity to satisfy due process for Doug. That may throw an additional kink into the equation. But even so, we don't know what procedural safeguards have and have not been followed.

Plus, if TCSB wanted to, they just wouldn't renew his contract. Even on the off-chance that Doug was successful, he might walk away with a few thousand dollars. He'll spend almost that much litigating it.