The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

Ha! Yeah, close enough to get the point across. It's still not this:

"i thnk u sux how bout that boi wat r u sum type of techer" - Damascus Education

Hahahahaha. If I would have typed blasphemy from my iPhone, like I just now did, it auto corrected it. Lol.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Figured we might be able to use this thread as some off-season talk too...

Braves are shopping both Prado and/or Jurrjens around in the offeason to see if they can't upgrade at some positions. Thoughts?

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111103&content_id=25891648&vkey=news_atl&c_id=atl

i think they should keep both...unless they get some solid offers...i think both add much needed depth.

Get rid of Uggla...too inconsistent...sure his final numbers might have evened out but that slump he was in for...well...seemed like forever...sure would have been nice to have some run support and win a couple of those games...then we would have made the playoffs and St Louis would have been home...St Louis should buy him a Budweiser.

i think they should keep both...unless they get some solid offers...i think both add much needed depth.

Get rid of Uggla...too inconsistent...sure his final numbers might have evened out but that slump he was in for...well...seemed like forever...sure would have been nice to have some run support and win a couple of those games...then we would have made the playoffs and St Louis would have been home...St Louis should buy him a Budweiser.

I'd say fire away on Jurrjens, but keep Prado. Especially if we can somehow grab Myers. He's rated the #10 prospect in the minors.

Honestly, we should've probably traded JJ last year. He is great but is too unreliable and I've heard several sources say that he won't pitch through pain and unless he's 100%. If that's true, he will never be productive because it is impossible to play a 162 game season at 100%. Granted he is one of our best, I think that his first half of last season wasn't really the norm, but rather an exception. I think that we are stable enough in our pitching staff that we could afford to lose Jurrjens if we held a pretty good offer at getting a stable bat and/or a great outfielder. I'm about 75% go on Jurrjens and the only thing holding me back is Hanson's ability/inability to stay healthy. If Tommy can stay in the rotation then I'm all for cutting JJ loose if we can get some production out the trade.

I'd definitely put my foot down and say no to trading Prado. Last season was a bust for him, but we all know that he is much more productive than that. He is by far our most versatile player and is capable of producing at several positions. I'd be extremely shocked to see him stay in his slump any longer than this year.

I'm in the minority, but I like Uggla. He will be alright in the future. Once he got settled into Atlanta he became arguably our best player for much of the season.

I'm sure they will keep him, he's to expensive to get rid of at this point. He needs to hit like that over the course of the whole season, not just a month surrounding either side of the all star break...his numbers ended up ok but he sure let us down when we needed him for a lot of the year...came through in others.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard trade rumors? I've been hearing that they're still shopping JJ and Prado, but I haven't heard of any definitive possibilities.

I heard that they are still shopping them and that most likely at least one of them will be traded before spring training

I heard that they are still shopping them and that most likely at least one of them will be traded before spring training

Yeah, that's exactly what I've heard, except I haven't heard of any names who the Braves would trade for. For a second I heard Carlos Quentin but that was quickly denied. I think the Braves are looking for a RH batting left fielder... but how many of those exist, and how many of those are any good? Also, the Braves don't have a shortstop; Gonzo just got picked up by the Brewers.

With that said, Manny Ramirez is apparently trying to get back into baseball. Just sayin'.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've heard, except I haven't heard of any names who the Braves would trade for. For a second I heard Carlos Quentin but that was quickly denied. I think the Braves are looking for a RH batting left fielder... but how many of those exist, and how many of those are any good? Also, the Braves don't have a shortstop; Gonzo just got picked up by the Brewers.

With that said, Manny Ramirez is apparently trying to get back into baseball. Just sayin'.

I think they will end up giving the shortstop job to tyler pastornicky one of there top prospects

I think they will end up giving the shortstop job to tyler pastornicky one of there top prospects

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I will be interested to see how they look in spring training. Following Dave O'Brien (AJC's beat writer), he seems to think that those shortstops won't be ready for another year or two, but the Braves may have no other choice but to play one of them.

I seen where the marlins was shopping Hanley Ramirez cause he didnt want to move to 3rd base but the braves said they didnt have any interest. If the braves would get him and he would straighten his act up he would be a great pickup at SS

Not a chance for Ramirez because a) Marlins don't plan to trade him, b) Braves aren't looking for a multi-year starting shortstop, and c) He and Fredi don't get along.

The Braves are comfortable enough with Pastornicky as their shortstop. They wan't a back-up who could take over if it turns out that he isn't ready. From everything I've heard free agent Nick Punto is a strong possibility. They also want a corner outfielder with some power to possibly platoon with Prado or Diaz. They like Seth Smith of the Rockies and rumor is he would be part of a package for Jurrjens. The Braves also want the Rockies top CF prospect but Colorado isn't willing to include him.

Frank Wren has said they will only trade Jurrjens and/or Prado if it improves the team. The asking price from what I gather is steep. The Rockies, Reds, and several other teams are interested in Jurrjens, and half the teams in baseball want Prado.

Another free agent possiblity is Cody Ross who was non-tendered by the Giants. He played for Fredi in Florida.