The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the Braves blew the wild card, but to win 89 games in the same division as the best team in baseball, and to do it with way too many injuries is a heck of an accomplishment. Fredi Gonzalez did a great job.

The tired arms in the bullpen were caused by injuries to the starting rotation. IF Jurrjens and Hanson had another 10-15 starts each the bullpen would've had a lot more rest and the Braves likely would not have blown the wild card.

Saying Chipper needs to "hang it up" just makes me scratch my head. Yes, he only played 126 games (McCann, Heyward, and Prado all played the same number of games) but he was still 2nd on the team in BA, 3rd in OBP, 1st in slugging, and 2nd in OPS and OPS+. They would not have won 89 games without Chipper Jones and likely wouldn't have had a wild card lead to blow. I've followed him long enough to know that he will quit when he feels he can no longer produce. Obviously he still can.

I've said it all year (to deaf ears) the Braves DO NOT need another "big stick!' They were 3rd in the league in HR but 3rd from last in the statistic that matters most, on base percentage. Solo homers don't win many games. They were also below league average in nearly every other offensive category. If anything they need to trade some of those home runs for some singles, doubles, and walks.

Not sure I understand the defensive complaints. The Braves had the 2nd best fielding percentage in the league.

Braves pitching was above league average in nearly every pitching statistic. What they need there is to find a way to cut Lowe loose and then keep everyone else healthy. Leo Mazzone was pretty good at keeping his guys off the DL. Maybe McDowell should bring back his (touch and feel) system.

The Braves have a ton of good prospects and I think they will be back on top in a few years... but don't expect them to stay there like the did in the 90's. They just don't have the money for that anymore.

At least the nightmare is over and we don't have to continue to see:

1) Lowe taking the mound in an Atlanta uniform

2) our young bull-pen of three, get overworked because no one else is capable

3) stupid base-running mistakes

4) horrible fielding

5) watching great pitches go by, while swing at stuff a 12-yr. old knows not to

Atlanta has a lot of talented youth, it's time to close the book on the older guys. We need to revamp the bull-pen and get the three-headed monster some help. They clearly ran out of gas weeks ago. The starting rotation needs to be overhauled starting with getting rid of Lowe and asking Hudson to take a pay-cut. And most glaringly, find a hitting-coach and guys that actually can hit at the major league level.

Why would you ask your staff ace to take a paycut when he is a bargain to begin with? He won 16 games and had a 3.22 ERA while his $9 million salary ranked 37th among MLB starters.

Yes the Braves blew the wild card, but to win 89 games in the same division as the best team in baseball, and to do it with way too many injuries is a heck of an accomplishment. Fredi Gonzalez did a great job.

The tired arms in the bullpen were caused by injuries to the starting rotation. IF Jurrjens and Hanson had another 10-15 starts each the bullpen would've had a lot more rest and the Braves likely would not have blown the wild card.

Saying Chipper needs to "hang it up" just makes me scratch my head. Yes, he only played 126 games (McCann, Heyward, and Prado all played the same number of games) but he was still 2nd on the team in BA, 3rd in OBP, 1st in slugging, and 2nd in OPS and OPS+. They would not have won 89 games without Chipper Jones and likely wouldn't have had a wild card lead to blow. I've followed him long enough to know that he will quit when he feels he can no longer produce. Obviously he still can.

I've said it all year (to deaf ears) the Braves DO NOT need another "big stick!' They were 3rd in the league in HR but 3rd from last in the statistic that matters most, on base percentage. Solo homers don't win many games. They were also below league average in nearly every other offensive category. If anything they need to trade some of those home runs for some singles, doubles, and walks.

Not sure I understand the defensive complaints. The Braves had the 2nd best fielding percentage in the league.

Braves pitching was above league average in nearly every pitching statistic. What they need there is to find a way to cut Lowe loose and then keep everyone else healthy. Leo Mazzone was pretty good at keeping his guys off the DL. Maybe McDowell should bring back his (touch and feel) system.

The Braves have a ton of good prospects and I think they will be back on top in a few years... but don't expect them to stay there like the did in the 90's. They just don't have the money for that anymore.

As pissed as I am today, this is spot on.

Good post, BigD.

I'm saying Chipper is getting to the point where he is going to have a year where it just falls off...like Jr did. Once every day players reach the mid 30's it starts to fall apart...he may have another year or two...maybe more...I'd just like to see him retire as a Brave and leave before you see him fall apart like Murphy or Jr did...i loved watching both of those guys play and Jr was "the kid"...so it was just hard to watch them come undone...and with Chippers knee issues first thing I thought when the ball got by him was "he would have got that a few years ago" He wasn't playing on the line he was 3 feet off the bag at 3rd and should have been able to get that ball where it was hit...if he does then what happens?

The stats for the Braves are skewed...the end of the year and the first of the year were not good at all and the time before and after the break are way above average. Thy lost 18 of 27 in September...injuries are a huge part of it but that is what you pay a manager to handle...he has to keep the team moving forward...that didn't happen and I watched almost every game this year...it looked like business as usual in the dugout...they just looked like no worries it will be just fine...and it wasn't...i didn't see anyone fired up...and that's one thing about Cox he would get emotional when he needed to...i just didn't see it...what i did see was a lot of head shaking and deer in the headlights.

I honestly believe if we did make it in it would just be 3 blowouts and done...so this saved us from watching that happen and maybe the cards are hot now and can beat the Phillys...ok prob not. lol.

This.

THIS.

AND THIS!

I thought exactly all of these things while reading through the posts in this thread. Couldn't of said it any better.

I'm saying Chipper is getting to the point where he is going to have a year where it just falls off...like Jr did. Once every day players reach the mid 30's it starts to fall apart...he may have another year or two...maybe more...I'd just like to see him retire as a Brave and leave before you see him fall apart like Murphy or Jr did...i loved watching both of those guys play and Jr was "the kid"...so it was just hard to watch them come undone...and with Chippers knee issues first thing I thought when the ball got by him was "he would have got that a few years ago" He wasn't playing on the line he was 3 feet off the bag at 3rd and should have been able to get that ball where it was hit...if he does then what happens?

The stats for the Braves are skewed...the end of the year and the first of the year were not good at all and the time before and after the break are way above average. Thy lost 18 of 27 in September...injuries are a huge part of it but that is what you pay a manager to handle...he has to keep the team moving forward...that didn't happen and I watched almost every game this year...it looked like business as usual in the dugout...they just looked like no worries it will be just fine...and it wasn't...i didn't see anyone fired up...and that's one thing about Cox he would get emotional when he needed to...i just didn't see it...what i did see was a lot of head shaking and deer in the headlights.

I honestly believe if we did make it in it would just be 3 blowouts and done...so this saved us from watching that happen and maybe the cards are hot now and can beat the Phillys...ok prob not. lol.

Baseball stats are never skewed. Not over the course of a full season. It's a game of hot and cold streaks. Every team can say they would have made it further if they played the entire season the way the did in July, or May, or whenever. They all had good months and bad months. That's just baseball. The stats in baseball reflect performance better than the stats in any other sport IMO.

Don't worry about Chipper. The first season that he's not able to produce will be his last. This season he showed that he still can. That's why he's coming back next year.

Next year will be his last IMO. He had a pretty decent year, but he is sliding. Its just a natural progression. I hope something can be done with Lowe. He is on the books for 15 mil again next season. The starting pitching falling apart was the death nail, but really it started with McCanns oblique injury.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/09/30/braves-make-the-right-call-fire-larry-parrish/

excerpt:

Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez had said Thursday that his entire coaching staff would be back, including hitting coach Larry Parrish. Either he changed his mind or somebody changed it for him.

The Braves announced Friday that Parrish will not be back after one horrible season. Who ever made the decision — Gonzalez or general manager Frank Wren — it was the correct one.

Wren’s name, but not Gonzalez’, is on the news release, which was emailed at 3:40 p.m.

Baseball stats are never skewed. Not over the course of a full season. It's a game of hot and cold streaks. Every team can say they would have made it further if they played the entire season the way the did in July, or May, or whenever. They all had good months and bad months. That's just baseball. The stats in baseball reflect performance better than the stats in any other sport IMO.

Don't worry about Chipper. The first season that he's not able to produce will be his last. This season he showed that he still can. That's why he's coming back next year.

stats can always be skewed...baseball or not...fact of life.

Well, no, they really can't. Baseball stats always bear out how the season went. On an individual level, team level, and league level. 100+ years of history back that up. The Braves had a good team but to say the stats are skewed because they played better in the middle than at the beginning and end of the season isn't realistic. Every team in the league can say something similar. Whoever winds up winning the series can look back and see at least a couple of months where they didn't play well, and at least one where they completely sucked. That's just baseball.

No chance. We are winning the World Series :D

I dont want to jinx it, but i will absolutely laugh my ass off if the Cards beat Philly on Friday...Philly had a choice and could have easily let the Braves in the playoffs and probably went 3-0 or 3-1 and took the series but they wanted to knock Atlanta out more than anything, and it might just come back to bite them in the ass...and I hope it does.

I could have told you we would lose tonight. Oswalt has been off his game all season. Its okay. Cause Halliday will make sure we move on.

i hope not...maybe he will have a killer hang nail or something LOL

I dont want to jinx it, but i will absolutely laugh my ass off if the Cards beat Philly on Friday...Philly had a choice and could have easily let the Braves in the playoffs and probably went 3-0 or 3-1 and took the series but they wanted to knock Atlanta out more than anything, and it might just come back to bite them in the ass...and I hope it does.

I don't think the Phillies would have played the Braves in the first round, would they? They would have played the Diamond Backs and then the Brewers (assuming the Braves lost to the Brewers in the 1st round).

You quit that!!! That's blasphamy!!!!! I probably butchered that spelling realllllll bad. Lmao.

LOL, you're just a letter off. ;)

Ha! Yeah, close enough to get the point across. It's still not this:

"i thnk u sux how bout that boi wat r u sum type of techer" - Damascus Education

This is true. Cannot play division in Round 1.

yeah...true...but they wouldn't have played a hot Cards team...maybe they didn't want to mess with the Brew Crew early on then? I still think it would have been better for them overall to have the Braves in vs. the Cards...they have sure give them a fit the first series.

Did you see the play Pujols made on that throw to 3rd last night? wicked.