The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully they can keep cutting into the lead. Most importantly, I hope McCann only has a minor oblique issue that does allow him to return effectively by the middle August and not keep it out for a longer period of time.

So folks, what does Atlanta do with the trade deadline nearing? Philly and San Fran landed high-impact players in the past week. If the Braves want to compete this year they will have to make a move for a productive, everyday player. However, they aren't willing to part with Teheran, Delgado, Vizcaino, or Minor. The first three I absolutely do not want to see traded, especially Teheran. Minor, however, I believe he's worth sacrificing to strengthen the team this year. Regardless, I'm not sure they will be able to acquire anyone who would be able to add enough for them to take down Philly and now even San Fran in a playoff series.

They will do next to nothing is my guess. Just hope to get healthy and then outpitch the Giants or Phils in the playoffs which will be a tall order. When healthy, the Braves still have a better lineup than the Giants, but not as strong as the Phils at the plate. The Giants are closer to the Braves level in the pen, but both are much better than the Phillies pen.

Our bullpen is three-deep right now, and has been all season. Getting Moylan will be of benefit, but O'Flaherty, Venters, and Kimbrel have been ridden hard all season. Can they hold-up? And our starters haven't exactly been setting the world on fire since the all-star break. I'll be happy with another playoff appearance for experience purposes and more building for the bright future.

as much as we need some run production, there is no way i'd give up any of the top prospects for a hitter right now...those guys are the future and they look great...i'd give up an every day guy to a team looking to save some money or do without at this point.

as much as we need some run production, there is no way i'd give up any of the top prospects for a hitter right now...those guys are the future and they look great...i'd give up an every day guy to a team looking to save some money or do without at this point.

Completely agree.

You're definitely right. Especially for those who were on the market this time around. Carlos Beltran and Hunter Pence aren't what we're looking for.

So folks, what does Atlanta do with the trade deadline nearing? Philly and San Fran landed high-impact players in the past week. If the Braves want to compete this year they will have to make a move for a productive, everyday player. However, they aren't willing to part with Teheran, Delgado, Vizcaino, or Minor. The first three I absolutely do not want to see traded, especially Teheran. Minor, however, I believe he's worth sacrificing to strengthen the team this year. Regardless, I'm not sure they will be able to acquire anyone who would be able to add enough for them to take down Philly and now even San Fran in a playoff series.

They aren't going to give up Teheran or Vizcaino, but Minor is most definitely on the market. If they make a move for Michael Bourne he will be included. He was part of the 4 player offer they made to the Astros for Hunter Pence. Delgado was likely part of the package as well, but the Astros wanted more. B.J. Upton is also a possibilty and Minor would probably have to be included in a deal for him. I'm not too worried about losing Minor. You trade from strength, and pitching is the Braves strength. I wouldn't give up too much more than that for Upton, but if you can get Michael Bourne you do what you have to do to get him.

Edited by BigD4VT

You're definitely right. Especially for those who were on the market this time around. Carlos Beltran and Hunter Pence aren't what we're looking for.

They tried hard to get either of those guys, so it looks to me like that's exactly what they were looking for. Now they're looking at Jason Bourne, which is a player I'm extremely high on and I hope they get him. Minor, while he is a top-prospect, isn't even one of the Braves top-3 pitching prospects. When you have that kind of strength you have to use it.

Impressed they got Bourne without giving up Minor. I could have sworn Minor and delgado were both mentioned in the Pence talks. Bourme gives them something they haven't had in a long time. A true leadoff hitter.

Now they're looking at Jason Bourne, which is a player I'm extremely high on and I hope they get him. Minor, while he is a top-prospect, isn't even one of the Braves top-3 pitching prospects. When you have that kind of strength you have to use it.

Man, I wish we could have picked up Jason Bourne...that would have been SWEET!!

The-Bourne-Supremacy-jason-bourne-223040_1280_1024.jpg

Hard to believe the Braves went out and got the best leadoff man in baseball and nobody is talking about it. I know most people want a power hitter but the Braves have enough of those already. They needed someone with speed who can get on base. Fredi likes to run but hasn't had anyone to do that with until now. This make the Braves a much better team.

Hard to believe the Braves went out and got the best leadoff man in baseball and nobody is talking about it. I know most people want a power hitter but the Braves have enough of those already. They needed someone with speed who can get on base. Fredi likes to run but hasn't had anyone to do that with until now. This make the Braves a much better team.

I'm pretty excited about the deal. I feel like its the best trade deadline move we have made in several years. I agree with what you said about power...we hit plenty of home runs, we just needed that explosive play-maker in the lead off role and I think Bourne provides that for us.

With that being said, we still wont catch the Phillies. But I like our chances to win the wildcard and to make a run in the playoffs.

Even better, we gave up next to nothing to get it. Great move by Wren.

The braves honestly should start playing for next season cause this team doesnt have it they need to start calling up some of their prospects and see what they can do and Lowe is a joke thats all I can say about him I cant stand to watch him pitch

Lost to the damn Nats AGAIN...wth is going on here? 8 back after the phills finish off the Rockies here in a few....grrrrr. 4-6 over the last 10.

What even happened? I only get score updates on my phone, so I saw we went up 3-2 then all of a sudden it was 9-3, Washington.

Also, the Phillies are ridiculous. I don't know when the last time was that I saw a team that dominant.

What even happened? I only get score updates on my phone, so I saw we went up 3-2 then all of a sudden it was 9-3, Washington.

Also, the Phillies are ridiculous. I don't know when the last time was that I saw a team that dominant.

Ankiel hit a grand slam off of Lowe.

Braves are slumping, but still control their own destiny. No need in everyone throwing in the towel now. Lowe is generally a pretty clutch postseason pitcher who hits a dry spell each summer. Looks like he has hit it now leaving alot of pitches up. Braves need to get healthy to expect much at the plate as well. Uggla and Freeman are doing it all right now.