The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem... We took one from the Nats, thankyouverymuch.

Your point still stands. We seem to play well against the Phillies, but we don't take care of business in our other games. So frustrating.

Yeah, I said we "amost got swept" by the Nats. It took extra innings to win that one if I recall correctly.

Edited by bluefieldRocks

So, no talk of the Braves pwning the Phillies? And no talk of the Braves' win tonight over Houston?

I went to the game Friday night against the Phillies...of course the only one we lose. But it was a great game, back and forth the entire time.

We really should have won it. Not sure how many runners we left in scoring position, but I know we had the bases loaded twice with one out and didn't drive any runs home. Oh well, glad we took 2 out of 3, and we're only 2.5 out of first.

HUGE game by Brian McCann today! 2 home runs (the GW walk-off to boot) off the bench. I like where the Braves are headed. They've shown a lot of resolve this past week.

BTW, does anyone know of any place online where you can watch Braves games for free? My links have slowly been shut down by the government.

Braves made a frustrating move yesterday. Corey Gearrin, who has pitched very well and got the win yesterday, was optioned to Gwinnett to make room for Julio Teheran who is making another spot start tonight. I thought they would release Scott Linebrink, who has been awful, but he has a guaranteed contract and they aren't willing to eat it.

Teheran will be sent back down after the game tonight but Gearrin can't be recalled for at least 10 days. I don't know who they will call up but Linebrink will have to resume the role that Gearrin had claimed. This will hurt the bullpen. Linebrink has shown no signs of ever being the pitcher he once was.

The problem that necessitates calling up Teheran in the first place is the Braves have the wrong guy in the long reliever role. Christhian Martinez. The long reliever is the guy who is supposed to make spot starts. Martinez has never made a start in the major leagues and the Braves obviously aren't going to have him start now. He's pitched well this year but without a legitimate spot starter on the staff they are going to be playing these roster games all year.

The answer to the problem is Rodrigo Lopez who is currently at AAA Gwinnett. He's perfectly capable of being the long reliever and can also start. He made 33 starts for the Diamondbacks last year. However if they recall him they will activate his $1,000,000 major league contract.

I think they should eat Linebrink's contract and bring up Lopez. I've never understood keeping a guy just because of his contract. They still owe him something like $1.5 million this year. Seems to me that money would be better spent getting rid of him than keeping him around to hurt the team. The White Sox obviously thought so as they agreed to pay $3.5 million of his $5.5 million contract to get the Braves to take him off their hands in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet Dan Uggla is glad he signed that 6 year contract before the season started. It's June and he's hitting .178. It's time to sit him down. Heyward will be back soon. Put Hinske in LF and move Prado back to 2B. Let Uggla find himself as a pinch hitter.

this braves team is not as good as last years team as you have noticed the problem the braves have is playing down to there competiton I dont know how you lose at least 2 out of 3 games to the padres at home that is BS Uggla uggly has not hit all year the only thing the braves have going for them is pitching unless they start swinging the stick its going to be a long summer

I keep thinking Fuggla is going to snap out of it, but he just looks lost out there...i was watching some video of him from last year and it looks like he is trying to extend his swing or something? doesn't look natural...i think its just in his head at this point, they have too much money in him to send him down, but i'd be tempted to do it...maybe some time on the farm to collect his thoughts and work on mechanics is exactly what he needs...if they keep playing him and he doesn't snap out of it, I don't know what they are going to do. This is why you should never pay anyone a huge amount without some sort of out clause for performance....injury is one thing, but not hitting the ball is another.

it has been a rough season to watch so far all together the braves should be alot better than this it pisses me off

As bad as everything is going for the Braves (i.e. injuries combined with lack of production from the go-to guys like Uggla, Heyward, etc.) they are still only 3 games behind the best record in baseball. Yes, it's frustrating, but there is a lot of baseball to be played and the Braves still have as good a shot as anyone in the league right now to earn a spot in October.

They are staying afloat and have a good chance to maintain that.

2 back of the phills and 3 up on the fish...won 4 straight now...looks like the injuries have shaken things up in an interesting way...it does make one wonder a bit.

2 back of the phills and 3 up on the fish...won 4 straight now...looks like the injuries have shaken things up in an interesting way...it does make one wonder a bit.

Pitching! They have the best ERA in the league. Jurrjens has been one of the best in baseball so far, and they have the best backend of the bullpen around. If they can take a lead into the 7th it's usually going to be safe with O'Flaherty, Venters, and Kimbrell. Only weak spot there is Kimbrell hasn't been quite as consistant as the other two. If they can get Moylan and hopefully Medlen back soon they will have the best bullpen in baseball. And when Beachy comes back they can get back into a five man rotation and out of the four man plus spot starters thing they are doing now. Although I think I would like that setup if they had the right guy to be a spot-starter/reliever.

As far as the offense, the injuries have had little effect until now with Prado being out. Heyward wasn't hitting well anyway because he was playing hurt, and Schaffer is doing at least as well as McLouth. Obviously they need Prado back, and need to get Heyward back AND back on track, but other than that the key to the offense is Dan Uggla. You can't keep a .170 hitter in the lineup and expect to win. Not when that hitter was supposed to provide power to the middle of the order. He had a good game yesterday hitting in the #2 spot but he needs to keep that up. If not, and if the Braves are still in it when the injured players come back, I can see them moving Prado back to second base and giving left field to Hinske. It just wouldn't make sense to bench Hinske and keep sending Uggla out there every day.

yeah...i agree....i think any time you give someone a big contract like they gave to Uggla, you should have a "bomb clause" in it so you can get out if that person totally stinks it up like he has...i keep thinking he will snap out of it, but he has gotten worse as time goes by...his swing is way out of whack and i'm not sure who is to blame for that? Either he has let it get in his head and is just swinging at pitches he shouldn't be or someone has tried to change something with him and he's not responding well...or something...if you watch his swing this year vs. last...a lot of times he just extends the bat head out and kinda swats at things...almost like he is just trying to even make some sort of contact at times instead of just hitting the ball...kinda odd.

if you watch his swing this year vs. last...a lot of times he just extends the bat head out and kinda swats at things...almost like he is just trying to even make some sort of contact at times instead of just hitting the ball...kinda odd.

I think that's his problem and pitchers are exploiting it. I also think at this point he's trying too hard. Like you said, it's in his head. Larry Parrish is the new hitting coach, and Terry Pendleton, the old hitting coach, is still there as first base coach. I'm sure both have tried to help him. I think he needs to go fishing or something with Chipper. I think he's the one guy on the team that might help him figure it out.

I think that's his problem and pitchers are exploiting it. I also think at this point he's trying too hard. Like you said, it's in his head. Larry Parrish is the new hitting coach, and Terry Pendleton, the old hitting coach, is still there as first base coach. I'm sure both have tried to help him. I think he needs to go fishing or something with Chipper. I think he's the one guy on the team that might help him figure it out.

Won 6 in a row now, going for 7 tonight. The only problem is that the Phillies seem to keep winning too, and they have 4 games with the Marlins, who are on a downward spiral, this week. Lets just hope we can keep it close to at least make it interesting.

Uggla has hit well in the last two games. Lets hope it's a sign of him coming out of his terrible slump he has been in the first 1/3 of the season. McCasn, Chipper, AGo, Hinske, Freeman, and Schafer are all playing well. Schafer also gives us some speed on the bases, which we have been missing all season, and really since Rucal left. I have almost forgotten how it feels to have a guy that can consistently steal bases.

well...brag on them and they promptly lose 2 in a row...damn. 4.5 back now...and the stinkin fish blew a 2 run lead in the 9th and lost in the 10th to philly...had 'em and just blew it.

another braves prospect making his debut tonight Delgado

And this one hasn't thrown a pitch above AA. They're putting marketing hype above what's best for the prospects and for the team. Teheran and Minor are a combined 0-3 with ERA's well over 5.00. They have not performed well. Not because they aren't good, but because they aren't ready. It's probably going to be ugly tonight.

And this one hasn't thrown a pitch above AA. They're putting marketing hype above what's best for the prospects and for the team. Teheran and Minor are a combined 0-3 with ERA's well over 5.00. They have not performed well. Not because they aren't good, but because they aren't ready. It's probably going to be ugly tonight.

Teheran hasn't really done that bad I don't think...I saw both games he pitched and it was pretty good. He just needs to learn some more, but I don't think it did anything but help him by getting the two starts...and I bet if nothing else he learned to never throw Ryan Howard a fast ball over the middle of the plate lol.

You're right. He's done after 4 IP. ERA is sitting at 6.75 now and he's praying for a ND.

Not looking good as the Braves are down 5-1 halfway through the game.