The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

Uggla is going to hit he has always been a slow starter I agree with freeman he has good promise but I dont think he is ready for the show the bottom line right now is they are not scoring runs. The braves were 9-14 in April last season so a slow start may not hurt them

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

not much talk about the braves this year and I can see why with an 8-12 record their offense is horrible

yeah...going to be a long year...they should have invested in a bat...knew Uggla was not the answer...he will start hitting, but they needed a solid 40+ HR guy...sad thing is for what they are paying Fuggla they could have gotten one.

yeah...going to be a long year...they should have invested in a bat...knew Uggla was not the answer...he will start hitting, but they needed a solid 40+ HR guy...sad thing is for what they are paying Fuggla they could have gotten one.

Two players in all of baseball hit 40+ HR last year. The steroids ERA is over and those guys don't grow on trees anymore. Uggla has proven over a number of years that's he's a very good hitter. He will come around.

Power isn't the Braves problem anyway. They're tied for 3rd in the league in HR. The problem is OBP which is dead last in the league at .297. And BA which is 3rd from last at .230. They have 6 guys who can hit 20+ home runs (20 is the new 30 in the post-roids era) but the lack a true leadoff hitter. The best move they could make (and only move they need to make IMO) would be to find a CF with decent speed and a high OBP to bat leadoff. Then they could move Prado back to #2 where he belongs.

And honestly, being 8-12 at this point in the season just means there are 142 games left to play. It's April. It doesn't mean much.

I don't think he's the answer either. Heyward is the answer. He's the future #3 hitter and franchise player. But he's not hitting right now. Freeman is also part of the answer and he's doing quite well since they got him out of the #8 spot.

The Braves are a solid team. They just need to get guys on base. Now that home run totals are coming down teams need to find other ways to score. As I said before, the steroids era is over. I think the era we are heading into right now will look a lot like the 70's and 80's which was the most balanced era in baseball history. Pitching is good and power is coming back down to earth. That means things like baserunning, bunting, and defense are going to be important again. The Braves need a legitmate leadoff hitter. Someone like Michael Bourne would be perfect although I doubt he's available.

And just like that, the Braves find themselves in the midst of a couple people who did some really stupid sh*t. First, McDowell makes homophobic comments and threatens fans with a baseball bat (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6444083). Then, Derek Lowe gets charged with a DUI soon after he was seen racing (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6448504). Brilliant.

you never seen this sorta thing very often when Cox was the manager in my opinion they should release derek lowe and fire mcdowell

They would have to eat Lowe's very large contract if they release him. Regardless, I don't think they will release him. He will likely be suspended though. I think McDowell probably will be fired. Anyone know who the pitching coach at Gwinnett is?

Yeah, it would be great to have Leo back. I don't think it would happen just like that though. If McDowell is fired I think Reed, or someone else currently in the organization, will come up, at least on an interim basis.

Yeah, it would be great to have Leo back. I don't think it would happen just like that though. If McDowell is fired I think Reed, or someone else currently in the organization, will come up, at least on an interim basis.

they need to bring in Greg Maddux...put him over the pitchers...couldn't be any worse and Atlanta loves him...would like to see what he could do with some of the young pitchers on the way up.

Dale Murphy should be managing the Braves as well...dude is as clean cut as they come and knows baseball...players love him...he is a fan favorite in Atlanta...would be a good fit if you could talk him in to doing it.

A manager has to be able to hold a team together...and right now it looks like the wheels are about to come off....Lowe just got arrested for DUI...McDowell is saying stuff he should know better than to say...from the outside it just looks like a total lack of discipline right now.

Administrative Leave = pretty much fired

they need to bring in Greg Maddux...put him over the pitchers...couldn't be any worse and Atlanta loves him...would like to see what he could do with some of the young pitchers on the way up.

Dale Murphy should be managing the Braves as well...dude is as clean cut as they come and knows baseball...players love him...he is a fan favorite in Atlanta...would be a good fit if you could talk him in to doing it.

A manager has to be able to hold a team together...and right now it looks like the wheels are about to come off....Lowe just got arrested for DUI...McDowell is saying stuff he should know better than to say...from the outside it just looks like a total lack of discipline right now.

I would love to see what Maddux could do. He's one of the smartest pitchers in history and he played for one of the all-time great pitching coaches. Currently he's a special assistant to the GM of the Cubs. He works with all the pitchers in that organization.

Murphy never went into coaching. He's written a few books, and he runs a non-profit foundation to keep kids off performance enhancing drugs. He also works with many other charities and is heavily invloved with church. As a sidenote, his son is Shawn is a current member of the Denver Broncos.

A terrible amount of inconsistency across the board. I also question some of the in-game management decisions through the first month, both pitching and hitting. Another month like April and the Braves could very well be double-digit games out of first place in the East.

yeah...Phillies are looking very strong this year though...

In all honesty, the Braves are competing with the Marlins this year. Not the Phillies. The Phillies payroll is double that of the Braves. Their pitching staff makes more than the Braves entire team. Unless they collapse, nothing will stop them from winning the NL East. The Braves are playing for the wild card.

In all honesty, the Braves are competing with the Marlins this year. Not the Phillies. The Phillies payroll is double that of the Braves. Their pitching staff makes more than the Braves entire team. Unless they collapse, nothing will stop them from winning the NL East. The Braves are playing for the wild card.

good point...