The 2011 Atlanta Braves thread...

Lance

So...we had a lot of fun with this last year...might as well make another one for this year.

What do you guys think about the Braves off season moves as we head in to Spring Training?

I still think they are short on big stick :(

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think getting Uggla was a pretty big move for us. We havent had a power guy that can hit 30 HR's a year in a while. So this well help us out. Freddy Freeman is a kid I can't wait to see play. I've honestly heard nothing but good things about him.

I think getting Uggla was a pretty big move for us. We havent had a power guy that can hit 30 HR's a year in a while. So this well help us out. Freddy Freeman is a kid I can't wait to see play. I've honestly heard nothing but good things about him.

This. I expect some good things out of Atlanta this season with the addition of Uggla and the development of Heyward and Freeman. Pitching should be a strong point again. BUT, IMO, still looking at the Wild Card. F*$^@ Phillies.

I really hope we can put things together this year. Stay injury free and stay within a few games of Philly. They are loaded on offense and defense. It could make for some fun baseball if our pitching can be good and effective.....whose the closer since Wags retired?

I really hope we can put things together this year. Stay injury free and stay within a few games of Philly. They are loaded on offense and defense. It could make for some fun baseball if our pitching can be good and effective.....whose the closer since Wags retired?

After the way they pitched against SF in the wildcard series, I'm going to say either Venters or Kimbrel. I like Venters as closer and Kimbrel as a set up man.

Philly the past couple years has been known to come out of the blocks slow and really get things going after the ASB. Atlanta needs to coming out hitting on all cylinders and try to build some sort of lead in the East or WC. I agree with Lance there still isn't enough 'pop' in the lineup and the Braves need to be much, much better on defense to have any chance this season. In the end, Phils have way too many big arms in the rotation so I'd be thrilled with another opportunity at the WC and just having a chance to do damage in the postseason.

defense cost us the division last year...i don't think there was another team in MLB with more errors after the break than the Braves? not sure that is true, but i know it sure seemed like they had 2 or 3 every game and I know I watched many that it cost them the win.

Also...I know you guys are die hard Bobby Cox fans...but, I think him being gone will give us a much better chance as long as the new guy doesn't piss off the clubhouse or something...Cox just had a bad way of riding a pitcher way to long after he ran out of gas...which cost a lot of games over the years...just my opinion, I liked him otherwise.

We have to play better defense and we have to stay healthy. Those are the two biggest things that will determine how good a year we have. I think we will hit a little better this year but Uggla's defense worries me a little. Also Prado in a new spot so there could be some growing pains there. Chipper needs to hold up. These young guys as well as Freddy G. in his first year will benifit if Chipper can stay part of this team all year.

I think the pitching is as good as anyone with exception of the Phils. If somehow McLouth could get back to his 08 form and Heyward has a big year we could really score alot of runs. It is going to be fun to watch. I am getting ready to order my MLB package now from Directv. I think these guys are going to play their tails off for Freddy. They will want to prove to him what type players they are......

We have to play better defense and we have to stay healthy. Those are the two biggest things that will determine how good a year we have. I think we will hit a little better this year but Uggla's defense worries me a little. Also Prado in a new spot so there could be some growing pains there. Chipper needs to hold up. These young guys as well as Freddy G. in his first year will benifit if Chipper can stay part of this team all year.

I think the pitching is as good as anyone with exception of the Phils. If somehow McLouth could get back to his 08 form and Heyward has a big year we could really score alot of runs. It is going to be fun to watch. I am getting ready to order my MLB package now from Directv. I think these guys are going to play their tails off for Freddy. They will want to prove to him what type players they are......

I think the way most of this year will play out will be Prado at 3rd, Hinske/Mather in LF. I don't see Chip sustaining a whole season (as much as that pains me to say).

I think the way most of this year will play out will be Prado at 3rd, Hinske/Mather in LF. I don't see Chip sustaining a whole season (as much as that pains me to say).

Don't talk like that...... I think Chipper is determined to go out on his terms. I think he can do it. He will get a few more days off. But I think he can make it thru. I think the excitement of a new manager and all this youth can help him. I think he has a big year..... But I am a homer...... :)

I'm really excited about this season and coming seasons for the Braves. The young talent, especially in the pitching ranks is among the best in baseball. There's no doubt that the Phillies are the best team in the N.L. East and N.L. altogether, but Atlanta has the parts to make a serious run at them. It's going to be a fun, exciting season in the Dirty South.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be the biggest Braves fan in the entire world. I knew everything about them. My room was even painted red and blue. It ruined my day when the Braves weren't on TV because they were playing on Turner South and not TBS. I stayed up until 1 AM on school nights just to watch them lose to the Diamondbacks (or other west coast teams) even when the game was decided in the 3rd inning. I played MVP Baseball on my computer all summer long. I played it so much, I even got bored of playing in Turner Field and always wanted to change my home stadium to experience some the AL ballparks for a change.

I sure do miss those days.

But now, as I've grown up (well 18 really isn't grown up I guess), I rarely watch them anymore. I'm disappointed in myself really. Baseball just doesn't do much for me anymore. I credit this to when I gave up the game of baseball in the 7th grade. I had a few reason to give it up. 1) I got hit in the head the year before, thus becoming scared once I stepped in the batters box; 2) I gave it up to play soccer and now my passion for it and watching the leagues overseas and the World Cup is amazing (but still not touching the love I had for the Braves years ago)

The last game I can remember fully watching was Opening Day last year when Hayward knocked his first at bat over the fence. When the playoffs rolled around, I really didn't get upset when Atlanta lost to the Giants. I was sad for Bobby Cox to not manage again because that #6 was special to the Atlanta organization. I remember I actually cried one year that Braves got knocked out.

I guess I still keep up with them a bit. I heard about the Uggla signing and got excited for a few moments. I used to be able to tell you all about upcoming prospects, but I had never heard of Hayward until I opened my SI and read the baseball preview.

Furcal was always my favorite Brave. I guess it because he was so exciting to watch. An amazing shortstop and an amazing lead off guy. Sadly his career declined once he left Atlanta.

So yeah, that's my story on the history of the Braves in my life.

I used to be the biggest Braves fan in the entire world. I knew everything about them. My room was even painted red and blue. It ruined my day when the Braves weren't on TV because they were playing on Turner South and not TBS. I stayed up until 1 AM on school nights just to watch them lose to the Diamondbacks (or other west coast teams) even when the game was decided in the 3rd inning. I played MVP Baseball on my computer all summer long. I played it so much, I even got bored of playing in Turner Field and always wanted to change my home stadium to experience some the AL ballparks for a change.

I sure do miss those days.

But now, as I've grown up (well 18 really isn't grown up I guess), I rarely watch them anymore. I'm disappointed in myself really. Baseball just doesn't do much for me anymore. I credit this to when I gave up the game of baseball in the 7th grade. I had a few reason to give it up. 1) I got hit in the head the year before, thus becoming scared once I stepped in the batters box; 2) I gave it up to play soccer and now my passion for it and watching the leagues overseas and the World Cup is amazing (but still not touching the love I had for the Braves years ago)

The last game I can remember fully watching was Opening Day last year when Hayward knocked his first at bat over the fence. When the playoffs rolled around, I really didn't get upset when Atlanta lost to the Giants. I was sad for Bobby Cox to not manage again because that #6 was special to the Atlanta organization. I remember I actually cried one year that Braves got knocked out.

I guess I still keep up with them a bit. I heard about the Uggla signing and got excited for a few moments. I used to be able to tell you all about upcoming prospects, but I had never heard of Hayward until I opened my SI and read the baseball preview.

Furcal was always my favorite Brave. I guess it because he was so exciting to watch. An amazing shortstop and an amazing lead off guy. Sadly his career declined once he left Atlanta.

So yeah, that's my story on the history of the Braves in my life.

So there's this thing called The Internet where you can (illegally) watch most games and, if you don't want to do that, you can at least find out the scores of your favorite teams. If there ever was a team full of great guys who one would want to root for and follow, this 2011 Braves team is the team. These guys have great character, and play the game with the understanding that they are privileged to do so. I expect them to compete hard for 162(+?) games this season. They'll do that, if not more, until the Fall. I guarantee you that.

I miss the old days of TBS broadcasting every Braves game...I hardly ever missed a game back in the ’80’s and early ’90’s.

same here...

I think one point is that is missed here...when you are a kid growing up, especially around these parts of the world...there is not a lot to do or going on after 730pm...so it's a simple time in your life and for many of us, the Braves filled that time...with them being on TBS almost every night from April - October, there was always something on...I don't go to the internet and watch ball games for hours much now, I have a couple of kids that I play Mr. Mom to that take up most of my free time and are not old enough themselves to enjoy the game yet...and once you get out of school, life hits high gear and you just don't have much time anymore...well, that was the case for me anyway. The Braves on TBS was what made them "America's Team"...it's just not the same now...i don't know if they put them back on TBS if it would be the same or not, but I think it would be better.

I just think the Braves are tied to a time that we all loved in our lives...and it's a good time to look back on.

So there's this thing called The Internet where you can (illegally) watch most games and, if you don't want to do that, you can at least find out the scores of your favorite teams. If there ever was a team full of great guys who one would want to root for and follow, this 2011 Braves team is the team. These guys have great character, and play the game with the understanding that they are privileged to do so. I expect them to compete hard for 162(+?) games this season. They'll do that, if not more, until the Fall. I guarantee you that.

I know. I look at the results every night to see if they win, but I just can't watch baseball. I just can't do it anymore.

Anyone else remember when Erin Andrews was on TBS? Then she blossomed into the ESPN reporter that she is today.

I miss the old days of TBS broadcasting every Braves game...I hardly ever missed a game back in the ’80’s and early ’90’s.

Those were the "good ol' days"...

I have to admit in the 80s and 90s, I usually had a Braves game on most of the time. Now I watch nearly none. The pace of the game is so slow now that I would rather watch paint dry. I long for the days when a game would last 2 1/2 hours, not 4. I really would like to see more Bob Gibson, Greg Maddox games that last about 90 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

season is about to start and I am switching from Dish Network to Directv...any of you guys have Directv? where can I watch Braves games? do I need to get the MLB package season ticket thingy to watch them or what? Dish Network was bad for baseball...had to watch online last year...which wasnt all that bad but i'm looking forward to watching on tv this year lol.

season is about to start and I am switching from Dish Network to Directv...any of you guys have Directv? where can I watch Braves games? do I need to get the MLB package season ticket thingy to watch them or what? Dish Network was bad for baseball...had to watch online last year...which wasnt all that bad but i'm looking forward to watching on tv this year lol.

I think we (DirecTV) get a free preview of the MLB package the first week of the season, so I'm gonna check it out. I probably wont buy it though, too expensive. Ill probably get the MLB At Bat app for my phone and listen to the radio broadcasts. Between that and XM I should be covered.

As far as watching the games on TV. I get MASN on DirecTV, so I always get the Braves when they play the Nationals. Other than that, Fox and MLB Network are your best bets. It seems like the only games ESPN broadcasts are the Yankees and Red Sox.