Rebel Flag

bucfan64

Well now that Hurley is venturing to the state capital and former Captol of the Confederacy, what type of uproar will be made over the rebel flag?

I personally have no problem whatsoever with the flag, but the folks in NOVA are a bit more "sensitive" to these type of things.

I would almost guarantee some type of op-ed or letter to the editor in one of the papers about the rebel flag.

Should be interesting.......

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they should wear the O' Bonnie Blue this week on their t-shirts....this generation of kids up NOVA would not even know it was a flag of the south...

you would be surprised by what the kids here know i live in staunton va and people young and old know what it stood for during the civil war. most dont give a hoot but you will have those that will say get rid of it. for me i say let it fly if it is your schools symbol then so be it. others need to get over the rebel flag for most people today it is not the flag of slavery but of their ancestors and we should be proud of our ancestors maybe not what the south stood for but for those that fought for what they believed in back then not today.

I'm split on this issue. Of course, it is their logo or mascot or whatever, but at the same time, the connotations to the Rebel flag are offensive to some. I don't see a big problem with it on school associated apparel, but if there are just random flags waving around, I would have a problem with that.

I personally don't like seeing the flag. I just don't want to see it. Don't get me wrong, I love living in the South, but the negative connotations that the flag carries make me cringe when I see it. If you say it is heritage (which I agree it is), would you take offense to someone flying the Nazi flag because of their heritage?

Edited by VivaFutbol

I personally don't like seeing the flag. I just don't want to see it. Don't get me wrong, I love living in the South, but the negative connotations that the flag carries make me cringe when I see it. If you say it is heritage (which I agree it is), would you take offense to someone flying the Nazi flag because of their heritage?

I see both sides of the argument. I hate seeing it used with the KKK and hate groups. I`ve always been a huge Civil War follower and I like the flag for the heritage. There are many things that make me cringe when I see or hear it on the news but there is nothing I can do about it. I respect your opinion Viva. This is a touchy subject for some people.

What will make it more interesting is that this year marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, so more people may notice it a little more (whether they notice it with a good response or bad).

Richmond doesent seem to shy away from its Civil War past. I wouldnt think it would be a big deal. A good example is for years I hung a flag in my bedroom but wouldnt put a flag bumper sticker on my truck

I do see the point about the flag having some negative associations (hate groups, idiots) but to me it stands for a group of people(my ancestors) standing up against people that knew little about their lives (northern politicians in D.C.)trying to tell them how to live(they were wrong in their arguement but I respect the idea).

Its also often forgotten that the Northern states made alot of money from slavery while they were speaking against it, but thats neither here nor there

Yes it is a symbol of history and heritage but to me it is also a symbol of one of the darkest moments of this country. When brother fought against brother. The only flag that needs to be flown is the American flag that represents the "United" States.

Guest The Variable

Buc, if it is any comfort, my old high school is 15 miles from Richmond. Lee-Davis CONFEDERATES.

Guest The Variable
But they aren't blue and red with a rebel flag as their logo.

True, but since that aint the real Confederate flag, why use it?

Edited by The Variable

What ever the argument I can Gaurentee you one thing That Flag will wave while those boy's are there....It's heritage not hate it's about being from the South not Slavery nor oppression to anyone in Hurley.. I dont see why this is even a concern. Good Luck Rebs bring it home..

Edited by gridironguru

I'll tell you this much, they can call it what they want, but I called it a symbol of southern heritige and southern pride and for us people in Hurley it is a symbol of our school. I will not be in Richmond because of work, but don't doubt for a second that I wouldn't be there waving a rebel flag. No one will ever tell me not to do it!!!! GO REBELS!!!

i'll tell you this much, they can call it what they want, but i called it a symbol of southern heritige and southern pride and for us people in hurley it is a symbol of our school. I will not be in richmond because of work, but don't doubt for a second that i wouldn't be there waving a rebel flag. No one will ever tell me not to do it!!!! Go rebels!!!

amen!