Rebel Flag

bucfan64

Guest The Variable
The South did lose. Just saying.

Hahaha...

I have my own feelings, I look at the Navy Jack (the southern cross was a square battle flag) as a bit of mistaken identity. It is a piece of history and heritage, but I dont like it when people put the Mexican flag or El Salvador flag or really even the Welsh flag (where my family originates from) on their cars or whatever. I consider it bad form. If you are going to fly a flag, it ought to be the American flag first. My Gadsen flag flies below it at my house.

As far as Richmond is concerned, aside from a few dirty looks, there should be no problem. That city is surrounded by what many Richmonders consider "the hicks and rednecks" on all sides and they dont bother us all that much when we visit and spend our money there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Civil War initially weakened the country but in the long term made it stronger. After the CW the states were w/o a doubt subordinate to the federal government. Not to mention the USA and CSA would have both been economicially weak and depended on the other for trade and not very efficient. Its Americas economic might that made it a strong country.

I do understand some people not being comftorable w/ the Confederate flag, I would be nervous if I saw a bunch of black guys waving a white flag w/ a black panther on it

I personally don't like seeing the flag. I just don't want to see it. Don't get me wrong, I love living in the South, but the negative connotations that the flag carries make me cringe when I see it. If you say it is heritage (which I agree it is), would you take offense to someone flying the Nazi flag because of their heritage?

why should that be a problem it is flown by some groups. it is their right this is america. you can burn the flag if you want. to say someone cannot fly the rebel flag because it offends another groups is wrong. to take the flag out is to deny our heritiage. you have groups that want to promote their heiritage but deny others. this is a free country and each should be able to be proud of their heritage. now slavery was and is wrong but that was history not today. i had a grandfather that was a private in the southern army and was at appomattox when lee surrendered to grant am i ashamed of him no he did what he felt was right in his time in my time it is not right but also not right to deny others the right to fly or show the rebel flag. go rebels.

The flag is a symbol of heritage and history and I don't really see a problem with it as a mascot... But when you start saying stupid crap about Obama and how people from NOVA (which is no where near Richmond) better recognize, you look and sound completely ignorant and third world. Just saying.

Guest The Variable

I do understand some people not being comftorable w/ the Confederate flag, I would be nervous if I saw a bunch of black guys waving a white flag w/ a black panther on it

This would be correct if it was the flag of the KKK, which it is not.

Guest The Variable
how people from NOVA (which is no where near Richmond) better recognize, you look and sound completely ignorant and third world. Just saying.

I caught that (twice) and I figured the team was playing a team from NoVa on a neutral ground. If anyone thinks that Richmond is in North Virginia, they need a serious geography lesson. Not to mention, if you get caught saying that in the surrounding counties, you might end up in the ER.

This is a tired old theme. If a school from an all white community want to fly the rebel flag in downtown Richmond at the Siegel Center they should know they are drawing unwanted attention to themselves. I just hope they don't get lost on the way and end up in Gilpin Court or up on Church Hill. It would not be a pretty sight.

The flag is used as a symbol of ignorance and repression from the end of the Civil War until today. If you want to honor your Confederate heritage, use the Stainless White Banner, The Bonnie Blue Flag, or the CSA Flag. None of these carry the negative message of the rebel flag.

Guest The Variable
This is a tired old theme. If a school from an all white community want to fly the rebel flag in downtown Richmond at the Siegel Center they should know they are drawing unwanted attention to themselves. I just hope they don't get lost on the way and end up in Gilpin Court or up on Church Hill. It would not be a pretty sight.

The flag is used as a symbol of ignorance and repression from the end of the Civil War until today. If you want to honor your Confederate heritage, use the Stainless White Banner, The Bonnie Blue Flag, or the CSA Flag. None of these carry the negative message of the rebel flag.

And I will probably scream the next time someone calls it the "Stars and Bars"

WRONG!

All I'm saying is if you're flying the Rebel flag on your way to VCU haha I wouldn't sit in the same bus seat as the window that has the Flag, it's liable to get shot amungst the 20 or so pawn shops and liquor stores that frequent the streets.....

Richvegas(Mond) was Murder capital of the US for a little while......

We aren't cliffside anymore. I sure hope that kat who was waving it coming down the aisle @ VA High doesn't do that again.

If I recall you can't have signs or banners or flags at the state tournament, b/c it blocks people behind you view with stadium seating....

The flag is a symbol of heritage and history and I don't really see a problem with it as a mascot... But when you start saying stupid crap about Obama and how people from NOVA (which is no where near Richmond) better recognize, you look and sound completely ignorant and third world. Just saying.

Jesus christ dude I was just joking around my god it's just a friggin flag a macot as one said already. lightin the hell up your seriously too tight in the ass..

...you look and sound completely ignorant and third world. Just saying.

Jesus christ dude I was just joking around my god it's just a friggin flag a macot as one said already. lightin the hell up your seriously too tight in the ass..

Way to correct that stereotype that Deuces gave you...

How many people on here know that the "X" on the Rebel Flag is actually the Cross of St. Andrew?? and the Rebel Flag is not a symbol of Racism... The rebel flag was the original flag of the 13 Confederate States.... it has been misconstrued to represent racism and all that because it was flown by members the "KKK" which wasn't even started by southerners I SAY LET THEM FLY THE FLAG

Exactly.

Whenever you travel to Richmond like this, you represent more than just Hurley. People are going to lump us all into one schema. Just like when people refer to people from NOVA as one type of person, these stereotypes aren't always fair. I don't want people from the different schools in that building to think all southwest Virginians are a bunch of ignorant jackasses because they're waving a Rebel Flag and doing it in a way that exceeds being proud of your school but being proud of something that should have died eons ago.

School-community pride is one thing. Being ignorant is way different.

I feel bad for Patrick Henry's girls, also Rebels, who will be making that trip and playing in that gym. I hope no one confuses the Rebel flag shenanigans with the folks from Glade Spring who attribute no confederate symbolism to their school and wisely so in my opinion.

This would be correct if it was the flag of the KKK, which it is not.

Very true, but it is often seen that way. I think it is important when doing anything that is possibly controversial(such as waving a Confederate flag) to be mindful of your behavior. I have 0 problem w/ the Hurley fans waving a flag, but if someone else has a problem with it or says something try to educate them on your position and not just say "by God its my right"

Guest The Variable
Exactly.

Whenever you travel to Richmond like this, you represent more than just Hurley. People are going to lump us all into one schema. Just like when people refer to people from NOVA as one type of person, these stereotypes aren't always fair. I don't want people from the different schools in that building to think all southwest Virginians are a bunch of ignorant jackasses because they're waving a Rebel Flag and doing it in a way that exceeds being proud of your school but being proud of something that should have died eons ago.

School-community pride is one thing. Being ignorant is way different.

I feel bad for Patrick Henry's girls, also Rebels, who will be making that trip and playing in that gym. I hope no one confuses the Rebel flag shenanigans with the folks from Glade Spring who attribute no confederate symbolism to their school and wisely so in my opinion.

My wife played Basketball for Poquoson...she said that normally the teams they played were mostly afraid of them. Yall know which schools they play. Of course their coach also taught them to play a little...rough.

Guest The Variable
How many people on here know that the "X" on the Rebel Flag is actually the Cross of St. Andrew?? and the Rebel Flag is not a symbol of Racism... The rebel flag was the original flag of the 13 Confederate States.... it has been misconstrued to represent racism and all that because it was flown by members the "KKK" which wasn't even started by southerners I SAY LET THEM FLY THE FLAG

Well, the Swatztika is also a good luck symbol (not unlike a four leaf clover) so I could care less what the X stands for. Its not the original flag of the confederacy and whoever told you that is a flaming ignoramus. The true ORIGINAL flag of the confederacy is the "stars and bars", which is a blue field with a ring of 7 stars on a red flag with a white stripe in the center. Eventually that evolved to a ring of 13 stars.

The "rebel flag" isnt even the original Navy Jack. You should brush up on your American history, because when you get into the Richmond area, we know our civil war past.

It's sad you cant even joke around any more without some of you guys getting on a soap box and examining the political correctness of every single syllable...

It was in jest ...As far as your and Deuces comment and name calling that doesent make you smart just arrogant. Im sorry you have no sense of humor you should get one life is a lot more fun if you have one.

I'll hate to tell you guys we have had a few African-Americans travel thru the halls of Hurley High School. I don't remember any of them having a problem with the flag. I know back in about 93 or 94 that Dennis use to dress up in Confederate clothes and carry the Rebel flag out before each home football game. I figure if he didn't have a problem with it , the guys posting on this board and in NOVA shouldn't let it bother them.

Well, the Swatztika is also a good luck symbol (not unlike a four leaf clover) so I could care less what the X stands for. Its not the original flag of the confederacy and whoever told you that is a flaming ignoramus. The true ORIGINAL flag of the confederacy is the "stars and bars", which is a blue field with a ring of 7 stars on a red flag with a white stripe in the center. Eventually that evolved to a ring of 13 stars.

The "rebel flag" isnt even the original Navy Jack. You should brush up on your American history, because when you get into the Richmond area, we know our civil war past.

The "battle" flag that Hurley uses looks pretty much the same as what is on the "stainless banner" which was the second flag of the confederacy. The only deference is the "stainless banner" is a large white flag with a smaller "battle" flag in the corner. Hell, if you want them to carry that flag around be at the center and sell the fans a couple.

Guest The Variable
The "battle" flag that Hurley uses looks pretty much the same as what is on the "stainless banner" which was the second flag of the confederacy. The only deference is the "stainless banner" is a large white flag with a smaller "battle" flag in the corner. Hell, if you want them to carry that flag around be at the center and sell the fans a couple.

Well that makes more sense...I looked on the Hurley website and the logo they had was the navy jack. I figured that was the one they used. My mistake.

Well that makes more sense...I looked on the Hurley website and the logo they had was the navy jack. I figured that was the one they used. My mistake.

I'm not going to lie to you, Hurley pretty much only uses the "battle flag." What I was saying, is you don't like the flag they wave be at the center and sell them the one you want them to wave. Wait a minute, that would make you like the Govt., trying to to tell people what they should and shouldn't do.

I believe Robert D. Raiford says it best, we are The United States of the Offended.

That is the great thing about this country, we have the right to offend you, and you have the right to tell us why you are offended. lol

Edited by thevols

It's sad you cant even joke around any more without some of you guys getting on a soap box and examining the political correctness of every single syllable...

It was in jest ...As far as your and Deuces comment and name calling that doesent make you smart just arrogant. Im sorry you have no sense of humor you should get one life is a lot more fun if you have one.

I never called you a name. My only point is that when you reply to a post trying to defend the allegation that you are ignorant and third world, you should at least make it coherent.

And for the record, I don't think I would use the insult that he is "too tight in the ass". That could be mistaken as a compliment.