Falcon Buzz

southbound

Well, I know you guys have missed me posting on the board. I have read so much crap about Graham lately that I thought we would go in another direction with football-a team that is way more competitive and on the rise the Abingdon Falcons. The buzz around town is the Falcons are working hard in the weight room and out playing catch after pumping iron. The Falcons will begin playing this year in the new SWD district and with a new attitude. Does this mean everything starts over like rushing & passing records? Are there any new teams joining the district this year? What kind of predictions does everyone have for the upcoming season? Stripes made his picks the other night for the upcoming season. Here are the picks and remember they are subject to change depending on how many transfers Richlands gets in late in the summer:

New SWD District:

1. Abingdon (They return the core of a solid playoff run)

2. Carroll Co (Stripes likes them better than the other blue team)

3. Richlands (Lost their whole team from last year)

4. Wise Co West (Think this is JJ Kelly + Pound) What dad said?

5. Wise Co East ( Stripes said the talent over there is thin) PV + App

6. Tazewell ( Terrible team again!)

7. Marion (Worse than Tazewell-Ha Ha)

I hope these teams are right. Hope everyone enjoys the last few weeks of school and enjoy the summer. These coaches down here want us to spend the whole summer lifting and playing two-hand touch. What about having some time off like a beach trip & lake days? Falconman, get ready the lake is calling us! :cool:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I know you guys have missed me posting on the board. I have read so much crap about Graham lately that I thought we would go in another direction with football-a team that is way more competitive and on the rise the Abingdon Falcons. The buzz around town is the Falcons are working hard in the weight room and out playing catch after pumping iron. The Falcons will begin playing this year in the new SWD district and with a new attitude. Does this mean everything starts over like rushing & passing records? Are there any new teams joining the district this year? What kind of predictions does everyone have for the upcoming season? Stripes made his picks the other night for the upcoming season. Here are the picks and remember they are subject to change depending on how many transfers Richlands gets in late in the summer:

New SWD District:

1. Abingdon (They return the core of a solid playoff run)

2. Carroll Co (Stripes likes them better than the other blue team)

3. Richlands (Lost their whole team from last year)

6. Tazewell ( Terrible team again!)

7. Marion (Worse than Tazewell-Ha Ha)

I hope these teams are right. Hope everyone enjoys the last few weeks of school and enjoy the summer. These coaches down here want us to spend the whole summer lifting and playing two-hand touch. What about having some time off like a beach trip & lake days? Falconman, get ready the lake is calling us! :cool:

a good weight program is how you develope a good team like the ones at ghs before marrs took over and the one at rhs and at bluefield high these teams have always had good weight programs the kids always lifted weights all summer long. until then the baby falcons will always be second rate to richlands. conditioning with weights makes difference at the end of games. so go to the beach go to the lake and always be second rate. commit to lifting and one day you guys may move up to above tazewell year end and year out.

Why would the Wise County teams be in the SWD? All 3 will be single A next year.

As for the names, if they are named like that, I'd say the school in Coeburn would be the "East".

Going by the enrollment numbers given on the VHSL Powerpoint for the new system:

Powell Valley (540) + Appalachia (223) = 763

J.J. Kelly (468) + Pound (241) = 709

Coeburn (416) + Saint Paul (161) = 577

So, no I don't think they'll be AA next year.

Going by the enrollment numbers given on the VHSL Powerpoint for the new system:

Powell Valley (540) + Appalachia (223) = 763

J.J. Kelly (468) + Pound (241) = 709

Coeburn (416) + Saint Paul (161) = 577

So, no I don't think they'll be AA next year.

The numbers will end up being even smaller; alot of St. Pauls kids will go to Castlewood(alot of them live in Russell Co), alot of Pounds kids will go to Clintwood(alot of athletes already do), and some of Appys kids will go to Lee High(some are from Lee Co) and others will go to JI Burton(I dont understand why but they will). All three schools will all be single A.

PV/Appy will probably be around 750

JJK/P right at 700

and C/StP 525(maybe less)

The numbers are just my guess

I like the picking Richlands to finish 3rd, it will be good bulletin board material, while they did lose a lot Abingdon has to come here this year... so that means you guys can't get your usual home cooking, and I still think its a pipe dream that it isn't gonna end up being Richlands again in the SWD this year.Edited this post, got my years crossed up and indeed CC is an away game this year.

Edited by Ditto

I like the picking Richlands to finish 3rd, it will be good bulletin board material, while they did lose a lot Abingdon has to come here this year... so that means you guys can't get your usual home cooking, and I still think its a pipe dream that it isn't gonna end up being Richlands again in the SWD this year.Edited this post, got my years crossed up and indeed CC is an away game this year.

Home cooking? What's for dinner? Oh wait, I know its not steak, must be just potted meat from a can. :)

The kicker to the Wise County schools has got to be Burton. If for whatever reason they decide to close them as well then you have some AA numbers. Which raises the question about Lee County who I believe is still AA numbers. You might have a very large district or two small ones.

The kicker to the Wise County schools has got to be Burton. If for whatever reason they decide to close them as well then you have some AA numbers. Which raises the question about Lee County who I believe is still AA numbers. You might have a very large district or two small ones.

JI Burton isn't a Wise County school, though.

Norton City had considered joining its school system w/ Wise Co. The reason was WC originally planned on building all new buildings, which would of coure be much better than JIBs current building and would afford their students more/better opportunities. Since WC has decided on simply contracting into already existing buildings Norton City has pulled out of joining.

As far as AA, it depends; If JIBs students were sent to JJK/Pound(the closest school) then yes that one would be AA, if JIBs students were sent to Coeburn/St Paul (not as close but still only 10-15 minutes away) then it might still be A. Coeburn/StP/JIB might only have 780 students, that is assuming as I do that alot of StPs kids are from Russell Co. Norton probably wouldnt like this setup but it would be the only way to keep all three schools in A. With being so far from another AA school(Abingdon, an hour away) and being so close to being A anyway that school could probably apply for and recieve a hardship and be allowed to play A ball. But I really dont see any of this happening

Of course the words "decided" or "planned" are awfully strong for whats goin on in Wise County.

Lee High has just over 700 students, safely an A school, and its Lee High not Lee County (the county has 2 high schools)

Edited by redtiger

Wise? Who ever named it that wasn't very "wise." I applied for UVA - Wise just to mess with em, of course I was accepted. They practically begged me to come there in the letter. No my friend, not Falconman! That place is a bore! A group of us visited the campus, I fell asleep during it. Why would anyone want to study there? One word: BORING!

Wise? Who ever named it that wasn't very "wise." I applied for UVA - Wise just to mess with em, of course I was accepted. They practically begged me to come there in the letter. No my friend, not Falconman! That place is a bore! A group of us visited the campus, I fell asleep during it. Why would anyone want to study there? One word: BORING!

You loon (pardon the pun), Wise County was named after Governor Henry A. Wise.

Perhaps UVA-Wise is a little too highbrow for you.

You loon (pardon the pun), Wise County was named after Governor Henry A. Wise.

Perhaps UVA-Wise is a little too highbrow for you.

we have to consider the source with this guy remember he is from abingdon not the hottest spot in the state.

You guys are always trying to pick on Falconman. Give the guy a break, he is just telling you the truth. Why would he settle for UVA-Wise? He has more to offer than that! I think he is Duke material maybe Wake Forest or UVA.

Hacker, my dad has accepted Stripes to the family and he treats him awesome. Stripes is pumped for football season and is ready to make some picks.