New Graham Coach?

Graham-VT Fan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not to go way off topic, but where is Colabro now? Wonder if he would be interested in the job?

Took the job as D. Coordinator @ Dobbyns-Bennett. His name has popped up in the Graham rumor mill, but so have a lot of folks.

My source has informed me that it is a closed deal. We'll have to wait and see but it makes sense. No teachig positions available and other factors dictated the choice.

Personally, I'd like to see somebody that sees these kids in school every day get the job. But, if he has the respect of the kids, then I guess it's o.k....

From experience at other schools.....it's usually better to have a coach that's at the school all day, but that's just my own opinion, could be different in this situation, I don't know who all applied for the job.

Guess we'll just have to trust Mr. Oneal and Mr. Carlock's judgment.....that whoever they pick is the best person for the job and not just somebody that's put in their time....

Edited by futbolking

Have you people lost your minds? Nothing against the guy but what exactly qualifies him to be coach at Graham? 4 losing seasons as an assistant, and two coaching for the semi-pro barons? If he wants to be the coach, go pay your dues somewhere else win some games and come back, like Mike Henry. But giving the job to someone that frankly is unqualified is baffling.

I'm just saying, I want the best person....I'm not assuming Palmer has been given the job, like some of the others were saying...I was trying to give a hint of sarcasm to my post, guess it didn't work....I would think O Neals and Carlock's judgement would be better than to just promote somebody like Palmer, considering they had a pool of 19 applicants....if that clarifies my viewpoint any....

I'm with ya...I think Carlock and ONeal should take responsibility for the decision they make...I've never known a head football coach to not teach at the school.....or be the A.D....or something like that, where they're around the kids all day...

If this is true and Palmer is the coach....it just solidifies my personal opinions about Tazewell County and the way they do things....and continue to do things....

I gave up on TCSB a long time ago.....but for the sake of the kids, I am hoping for the best.

Edited by futbolking

How is DB able to pay that kind of money?

If he teaches and has over 30 years in....he's at the top of the teacher scale...probably about $50,000...and they probably pay their head coach a good stipend....somebody with his experience...I'd say $20,000 for head football coach is not unreasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. But it is common knowledge that ONeal supposedly promised him the job. But this is the reality, ONeals reputation and maybe job is on the line with this recommendation. He better get it right. And he isn't making this hire anyway, that decision rests solely on Dr Lawson and the school board. They have final say. And they will pick whoever is best for the community and our kids. There is no decision already made as Bobby Wyatt is actually interviewing today for the job.

if you put your trust in the tcsb to do what is best for graham high school and the football program i have some swamp land in fl. that is prime land to sell you. the school board does not care about the bluefield or pocahontas end of the county they care about tazewell west.

And exactly who do you think got rid of the last guy? He didn't just resign out of the goodness of his heart or out of embarassment for being terrible. He was forced out by the TCSB. The same people who are making this hire. The same people who interviewed kids for several days over there last winter to find out what was really going on. No they don't have any concern for the kids of Bluefield,VA. Its just business as usual.

the school board would not have done a thing if not for the outrage of the residents of blfd va over the program at ghs. he is well liked by many in the community but as the coach he did not help ghs but yet the tcsb did nothing until people spoke up and wanted him removed. the school board has never cared about blfd as i said before. i lived in blfd for most of my life and have only been away for the past 6 years but i keep up with things via here, my parents and my kids all who still live in blfd.it took this school board several years of complaints to actually take action because eventually there would be elections for sb. they did not do this out of concern for ghs football or school they did it out of self preservation for their own jobs.

If he teaches and has over 30 years in....he's at the top of the teacher scale...probably about $50,000...and they probably pay their head coach a good stipend....somebody with his experience...I'd say $20,000 for head football coach is not unreasonable.

I had no idea a HC got paid that much, I knew a teaching salary w/ his experience is 40,000+.

20k is ALOT

I had no idea a HC got paid that much, I knew a teaching salary w/ his experience is 40,000+.

20k is ALOT

figure bigger schools and school systems have the abiltiy to give more for a HC of his quality. small schools and systems like here in swva dont have that kind of money.

I guess there is alot of money floating around Kingsport, and im assuming the fact that it is a city school opens up more money.

That seems like a rediculious amount of money, just to coach. But I guess at a program like that the HC is really working year-round

I guess there is alot of money floating around Kingsport, and im assuming the fact that it is a city school opens up more money.

That seems like a rediculious amount of money, just to coach. But I guess at a program like that the HC is really working year-round

if you are a dedicated coach like carlock was at ghs it is a 24-7 job you live and breath football to the detriment of your family.

20k is ALOT

Yeah, most coaches also teach....so they get their salary plus whatever the coaching stipend is....it varies from place to place...the city schools usually pay more and it's usually a percentage of the base salary.... Head football coaches around here probably make an extra $6,000 or $8,000 I would guess. Not sure about the assistants....but the Head coaches of other sports would be lucky to make an extra $1000 to $1500 or so....

Yeah, most coaches also teach....so they get their salary plus whatever the coaching stipend is....it varies from place to place...the city schools usually pay more and it's usually a percentage of the base salary.... Head football coaches around here probably make an extra $6,000 or $8,000 I would guess. Not sure about the assistants....but the Head coaches of other sports would be lucky to make an extra $1000 to $1500 or so....

The stipend for lesser sports was $2000, in 2003. This I can definitely confirm.

The stipend for lesser sports was $2000, in 2003. This I can definitely confirm.

Which county??

It's different for each county...I was a head coach of a sport and only got about $1100 as late as 2006. I figured about $2.00 an hour for all the time I put in (obviously didn't do it for $$)...gave it up to spend more time at home, enjoy the time with my kids, while they're still kids. If you check the websites for school systems, some of them post their pay scales for coaches.

Edited by futbolking

Which county??

It's different for each county...I was a head coach of a sport and only got about $1100 as late as 2006. I figured about $2.00 an hour for all the time I put in (obviously didn't do it for $$)...gave it up to spend more time at home, enjoy the time with my kids, while they're still kids. If you check the websites for school systems, some of them post their pay scales for coaches.

Tazewell. Perhaps it's because said coach had a decade plus experience, but I do know for a fact that one got $2000.

In SWVA the best paying county(in terms of teachers salaries) is Washington, the stripends for football are

Head Coach 4,070

Asst Coach 2,355

By working year round I meant running the weight program(not just being involved) as well as coaching during the season

Edited by redtiger