New Graham Coach?

Graham-VT Fan

A few quick points on Colobro that may factor. Since he retired from Gate City, he is probably drawing his Virginia pension, so working for Dobbyns-Bennett allows him to "double dip." If he takes a job at Graham, I don't think he can also draw his pension. I also understand he has a house on S. Holston as well.

Yes his parents live here, and his sister in the Principal at Dudley, but IMO the financial factors will outweigh family pull.

thanks Hacker. I just have to wonder ... if he applied for the job, then he would have understood the financial implications (and perhaps is willing to accept). If he is one of the finalists then I would think it would be hard to justify hiring anyone over him.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lookoutmountain

That's fair enough if true for Graham during this time over this tenure. Once can argue Coach Carlock had great influence over who was hired. No question, I'm sure Graham's boys under Carlock were devoted to football, yet the AD is the AD. The AD is just that, the athletic director. Great programs during Carlocks tenure like Gate City, Radford, Giles, Abingdon (believe it or not at one time in the 70's, early 80's was tough) , Tazewell in the 80's all had teams in football that I'm certain had devoted players, but all of these had some other sports teams that at least did better than Graham in basketball and baseball when the two records are combined over this tenure. No question though, if the AD doesn't have the power or influence or say so as to coaches hired and or fired, then the wins and losses over a tenure of sports teams may not adequately reflect how solid or not solid an AD is at the High School level. There's no question about this though and for whatever reason (which could be many) Graham High had arguably the worst basketball and baseball combined records from about 1973 to 2003 than the large majority of teams in Region 4, AA. There was some Hoops teams with talent on some given years, but over a 30 year period, it wasn't very impressive.

He did not apply. He is not a finalist.end of story.

ok CPF, I'll take your word for it since it seems like you have some connections. So, from your previous posts, the six are: wyatt, remines, woodward, william fleming guy, sparks, and one unknown. From those, would wyatt be considered a front runner? I would have to think he would be the pick over remines, woodward, and sparks. don't know about the william fleming guy (or the unknown).

btw, if it seems like I'm restating things that have already been posted, it's because I'm trying to refocus the thread on "new graham coach" stuff instead of bashing the late Coach Carlock's history as AD.

Ok Dlaw let's do this again. Wiliam Campbell defensive coordinator, not Fleming. The unknown Jack Baker from Alleghany. Colobro applied or inquired, withat least 1 phone interview. Can't speak to him as a finalist but I also feel he was not one of the six.

If memory serves me correct Coach made sure every sport was well equipped,scheduled and given all they needed to be successful with the exception of two things. He didnt coach them or drop to single A.

Coach Woodward also has GHS connections. He attended GHS, palyed football and wrestled there. He has been coaching at Graham since 1988. He has coached football, is the Head Wrestling Coach, and coached baseball also.

Ok Dlaw let's do this again. Wiliam Campbell defensive coordinator, not Fleming. The unknown Jack Baker from Alleghany. Colobro applied or inquired, withat least 1 phone interview. Can't speak to him as a finalist but I also feel he was not one of the six.

If memory serves me correct Coach made sure every sport was well equipped,scheduled and given all they needed to be successful with the exception of two things. He didnt coach them or drop to single A.

william campbell has definitely had some success, so perhaps that would be better than fleming (but I don't know either guy). Jack Baker being a VMI grad sounds interesting. Although VMI has a horrible football history, the discipline instilled there has generated some good leaders. I'm curious if Baker has any connection to Graham??

Coach Woodward also has GHS connections. He attended GHS, palyed football and wrestled there. He has been coaching at Graham since 1988. He has coached football, is the Head Wrestling Coach, and coached baseball also.

I'll make it simple: I hope that Woodward does not get the position.

I think we'll see Graham win some regional titles soon after the drop in sports other than football. I'm thinking tennis and soccer in particular, maybe golf....they'll be very competitive. Baseball and basketball will still not be competitive at a regional level.

Have you all been up to the East River Complex on a weekend lately??? Soccer is really taking off...some of us (like myself) have been fans of soccer for a long time and it's good to see....seems like a lot of others are coming around, especially when their kids play and enjoy it...

I have a child playing soccer and they have 15 under 6 teams this year...yes, I said 15...

Meanwhile, my daughter is playing softball for a Blfd. Va team which contains 9/10 year olds and 11/12 year olds ....basically one team for 2 age groups....Tazewell has 3 different teams for 11/12 year olds alone....Lebanon has a couple teams in each age group....

T-Ball and Baseball have a little more success.

But Community support in BLFD. is severely lagging behind the other communities surrounding us (with the exception of soccer).

Do you all remember the days BEFORE the Chargers when we had 6 or so little league football teams in both pee wee's and midgets???

There were 3 or 4 teams from Blfd, Va....a team from Springville, a team from Pocy in the league....it was awesome.

Edited by futbolking

You are entitled to your opinion I guess. But prior to 1973 when he took over what had Graham ever won in anything besides football? A state basketball title in 1956, and not another appearance until 1974, and after that 1987. That was the last one until 2002. What did baseball ever win? I can't ever remember Graham having a good baseball team as long as I have lived. And by that I mean a team capable of winning at least the region. Not to argue, but I stand by the fact that other than football Graham has never won at anything except for 1956. I guess it is wonderful for the basketball team to go what 9-17 and make the state tournament. Guess we need to give Doug Marrs credit for being such a wonderful AD if that is the case (rolls eyes).

Exactly what I'm saying: it's the AD's job to put someone in place that will get those teams at least competitive. You shouldn't have coaches who have 2 winning seasons out of 16, and this is in ANY sport. "We've never had good sports teams" and the equivalent "football is all that matters" is an awful reason upon which to base an opinion.

No one's giving Marrs credit for being a great AD; he did a terrible job. All we're saying is that Carlock's legacy as AD was overblown, given the lack of success of many other sports.

I think we'll see Graham win some regional titles soon after the drop in sports other than football. I'm thinking tennis and soccer in particular, maybe golf....they'll be very competitive.

Not golf. Not any good young talent in the pipeline in Bluefield, VA add to that the fact there's no longer a public golf course in town to hone younger players...things look very sad...

Besides that, they can not compete with Galax and Giles...

Truthfully, nothing else matters......

Only as long as you don't allow it to matter...

I played baseball, back in the day, for four years in HS while Coach Carlock was AD. We had the same old uniforms every year. I don't ever recall getting any new bats/catcher's equipment...we were lucky to get a case of new baseballs each season to use in games. And not once do I ever recall getting a steak dinner before or after a game, for that matter...we ate either McDonald's or bologna sandwiches on road trips. And never once did we travel in anything other than a "school issued" vehicle. And yes, we worked our butts off to raise money every year for the baseball team, it wasn't like we were "free loading"....but I guess that money went for new baseball hats each season, which, by the way, never matched the Astro-stripped uniforms we wore for four years...

Don't tell me all sports were treated fair and equal under his rule as AD...

But Community support in BLFD. is severely lagging behind the other communities surrounding us (with the exception of soccer).

Do you all remember the days BEFORE the Chargers when we had 6 or so little league football teams in both pee wee's and midgets???

There were 3 or 4 teams from Blfd, Va....a team from Springville, a team from Pocy in the league....it was awesome.

A little before my time, but I do know the Springville Colts team switched from Bluefield to Tazewell when the Chargers pretty much gobbled everything up. I was a part of the last ever Springville Colts pee-wee football team. I missed the age cutoff for midget football by 6 days (October 5th, September 30th cutoff), so I played pee-wee 1 year longer than I should've. And given my size in relation to everyone else, man, was that completely unfair. But I digress.

In response to your first sentence I quoted, I wonder how much of this is due to demographics. One interesting stat: the average age of a Bluefield, VA resident is an astounding 51 (17 years above the national average). Tazewell is mid-40s, Richlands is early-40s. Perhaps the reason is that the community's just too darned old, and with age comes apathy with regards to sports, etc. That's my take. Probably not right, but perhaps there's a grain of truth in it.

Carlock Senior AD's over a basketball group that had 1 team make it to state in his time other than the Bradshaw years. This record was not just average or below average, it was absolutely horrific. His baseball teams had 1 state appearance during his time which was again, horrible and over his tenure as AD, Graham arguably had some of the worst basketball and baseball teams (if measured by playoff appearances) over a 30 plus year stretch in AA Region 4. One must ask themselves....was he a great AD if considering sports other than football? If the record is any measure of it, the answer is ....No.

graham has not had a basketball team really since the years of john quinter and earl and john thompson years. the baseball team has never really been good way back even when i was in high school from 69 -73 did not have soccer back then wrestling was not good either kids did not go out for the other sports like football so as ad he could not make kids go out for other sports. heck before carlock the football team and other sports other than basketball were no good though we did have a great powder puff team back then. so i dont blame carlock for the fact that other sports did not do well. kids wanted to play football because over all it was a winning program and the other sports never produced winning teams year in and year out. no ad can make kids go out for other sports but the other teams had the equipment that they needed to play their sports. that is a ad's job i feel. it is up to the coaches of the other sports to get the quality kids out for their sport.

A little before my time, but I do know the Springville Colts team switched from Bluefield to Tazewell when the Chargers pretty much gobbled everything up. I was a part of the last ever Springville Colts pee-wee football team. I missed the age cutoff for midget football by 6 days (October 5th, September 30th cutoff), so I played pee-wee 1 year longer than I should've. And given my size in relation to everyone else, man, was that completely unfair. But I digress.

In response to your first sentence I quoted, I wonder how much of this is due to demographics. One interesting stat: the average age of a Bluefield, VA resident is an astounding 51 (17 years above the national average). Tazewell is mid-40s, Richlands is early-40s. Perhaps the reason is that the community's just too darned old, and with age comes apathy with regards to sports, etc. That's my take. Probably not right, but perhaps there's a grain of truth in it.

No, I'd say that has a lot to do with it...most of the coaches and volunteers as I recall were parents of the kids. Grandparents aren't as likely to volunteer their time and support, they did their time back in the day....

Those grandparents like to get out and see their grandkids running around trying to kick a soccer ball for some reason, though....there's plenty of them each weekend at ERSC. (mostly at the 5/6 year old games, though...probably because the grandparents just eat them up when they're little)

Edited by futbolking

graham has not had a basketball team really since the years of john quinter and earl and john thompson years. the baseball team has never really been good way back even when i was in high school from 69 -73 did not have soccer back then wrestling was not good either kids did not go out for the other sports like football so as ad he could not make kids go out for other sports. heck before carlock the football team and other sports other than basketball were no good though we did have a great powder puff team back then. so i dont blame carlock for the fact that other sports did not do well. kids wanted to play football because over all it was a winning program and the other sports never produced winning teams year in and year out. no ad can make kids go out for other sports but the other teams had the equipment that they needed to play their sports. that is a ad's job i feel. it is up to the coaches of the other sports to get the quality kids out for their sport.

Does State Runner-ups ring a bell from 1974 in basketball under the direction of Allen Wiley. Ronnie Edwards who signed with Don Devoe at Tech. By the way this was under Coach Carlock as AD!

Does State Runner-ups ring a bell from 1974 in basketball under the direction of Allen Wiley. Ronnie Edwards who signed with Don Devoe at Tech. By the way this was under Coach Carlock as AD![/QUO

no but dont disagree with you but still my point was before carlock ghs did not do much in football or other sports other than basket ball and the 2 players i mentioned were both around 6-7 or taller and after they graduated ghs basketball went on a downward spiral other than the team you mentioned. you can have the best coach but if kids do not come out for the sport you will not compete in va or any state competion. i have always supported ghs and always will win or lose. just wish more kids would go out for sports. and over the years the little league in blfd va has gone down. when i played you had several teams you had west graham town pinehill park and double gates teams and everyone played each other. you had to compete to get to play not just show up. even in cheereleading kids had to try out . now days all you do is show up and everyone gets to play or cheer even is you cannot remember the plays or cheers. competion in little league has become politcally correct. this feel has led to the downfall of many sports in small towns. i have 2 kids that went to ghs one in football and my daughter when little was a cheerleader but she had to try out to make the team. only had maybe 7or 8 back then. the last little league game i went to had something 20 or more cheerleaders and i felt sorry for some of the little ones they were just standing there not knowing what to do. but i digress sports at ghs with the exception of afore mentioned basketball teams and football with coach have not had winners in district or state. though again girls tennis team and the basketball teams in the past several years have done pretty good from what i have heard. boys sports not so good. sorry for going on but just speaking my mind.

Does State Runner-ups ring a bell from 1974 in basketball under the direction of Allen Wiley. Ronnie Edwards who signed with Don Devoe at Tech. By the way this was under Coach Carlock as AD![/QUO

no but dont disagree with you but still my point was before carlock ghs did not do much in football or other sports other than basket ball and the 2 players i mentioned were both around 6-7 or taller and after they graduated ghs basketball went on a downward spiral other than the team you mentioned. you can have the best coach but if kids do not come out for the sport you will not compete in va or any state competion. i have always supported ghs and always will win or lose. just wish more kids would go out for sports. and over the years the little league in blfd va has gone down. when i played you had several teams you had west graham town pinehill park and double gates teams and everyone played each other. you had to compete to get to play not just show up. even in cheereleading kids had to try out . now days all you do is show up and everyone gets to play or cheer even is you cannot remember the plays or cheers. competion in little league has become politcally correct. this feel has led to the downfall of many sports in small towns. i have 2 kids that went to ghs one in football and my daughter when little was a cheerleader but she had to try out to make the team. only had maybe 7or 8 back then. the last little league game i went to had something 20 or more cheerleaders and i felt sorry for some of the little ones they were just standing there not knowing what to do. but i digress sports at ghs with the exception of afore mentioned basketball teams and football with coach have not had winners in district or state. though again girls tennis team and the basketball teams in the past several years have done pretty good from what i have heard. boys sports not so good. sorry for going on but just speaking my mind.

Hey, you are preaching to the choir. Those same problems are all over. There was nothing else to do during that time period but play ball. What about when they called the little league baseball teams, Dr. Pepper, Rental Uniform, Pet, RC Cola, Dairy Queen. You played all summer. Even Bob Hedrick and John Quinteer were the umpires!

heard that one of the five getting the second interview is Randy Sparks who was apparently Tazewell's middle school coach. I don't know anything about him.

Coach Sparks would do a great job. I've heard that he has a great staff lined up if chosen. I don't know if he will get it due to the lack of GHS ties or being a younger coach, but I do know that he is qualified, has a great staff just waiting, and will run a fair and successful program. Where ever he lands, I'm sure they will not regret it.

Good luck to GHS in selecting a new coach!

Hey, you are preaching to the choir. Those same problems are all over. There was nothing else to do during that time period but play ball. What about when they called the little league baseball teams, Dr. Pepper, Rental Uniform, Pet, RC Cola, Dairy Queen. You played all summer. Even Bob Hedrick and John Quinteer were the umpires!

i know way back in the late 50's early 60's for me living in blfd back then also ghs got their hats handed to them by many teams when bob hedrick was coach 3 yards up the middle and a cloud of dust and not a lot of fan support back then for any teams. i just think that the little league needs to change to the way it was back then. granted ghs did not have great football or other sports mostly because a lot of kids played little league but did not go out for high school football for many reasons mine was my parents felt i was to small at 125 lbs thru high school to play football though i would have liked to. probably would have been killed against beaver and teams in the old swd back then. but i know during my highschool days many kids did not go out because of the coach and felt would not get the chance to play. overall though i dont and will not blame coach carlock for the other teams during his time at ghs being ad and hc for not having winning teams i still feel it belongs on the coach of those teams to get the kids out for their teams. maybe some teams did not have great equipment as football but a the same time didnot have the mens and womens booster club that the football team had raising money for the football team. and now you do not see the mens and womens boosters like you did during the time carlock was there. maybe people in other sports need to get their parents involved more in the teams raising money for things like meals and other things.

I think there will be a hiring dilemma on this one, do they want someone who might only coach 2-4 years but has great experience, or are they going to shoot for someone who is younger and could lead the program for 10+ years.

I think there will be a hiring dilemma on this one, do they want someone who might only coach 2-4 years but has great experience, or are they going to shoot for someone who is younger and could lead the program for 10+ years.

Agreed. But that was also one of O'Neal's criteria for the new coach...along with "Graham ties", he wanted someone who would be around for a while...

I stand by my original statement...Wyatt get's the job...