New Graham Coach?

Graham-VT Fan

heard that one of the five getting the second interview is Randy Sparks who was apparently Tazewell's middle school coach. I don't know anything about him.

Back in the '80s he was so fine....do you not agree?

randy-watson.png

My bad.... That was Randy Watson.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interviews were done today. There were 6 finalists.included were wyatt,woodward,sparks,and someone from William Fleming.don't know who the other two were.

Without knowing the other two candidates, I wonder what happened with O'Neal talking about wanting someone with "connections to Graham"...could be the other two, maybe??? Or maybe, as I've stated before, the decision has already been made (~cough~Wyatt~cough) and this whole interview process is just a mere formality...:rolleyes:

I had heard the def. cord. from William Campbell (Meadows).

I have heard from a couple different people that Colobro was an applicant, if he were, it would be tough to imagine he wouldn't be a finalist.

Edited by be4g-men

I heard Carlock Jr was going to take it? That not going to happen? He is AD now right?

He is AD. And it would be a decision of epic stupidity if Graham offered it to him. Part of the reason we're in this debacle is because the same man was AD and HC. I cannot fathom a body of adults being so ignorant as to willingly repeat the situation that just failed so memorably.

Another name that has been tossed around is Jack Baker from Alleghany Co.

Coach Baker was also a coach at vmi for 6 or 7 years. Recruited this area all those years.

He would be an excellent hire. Not too old and not too young.

He is AD. And it would be a decision of epic stupidity if Graham offered it to him. Part of the reason we're in this debacle is because the same man was AD and HC. I cannot fathom a body of adults being so ignorant as to willingly repeat the situation that just failed so memorably.

you are right but also remember carlock senior was hc and ad while he was alive and coaching at ghs. i think he did a pretty good job of both so i think it all would depend on the person and his ego as to if he could do both jobs. i do think jr. could do both but dont in my personal belief think he would because of following in his fathers footsteps and being judged on his success at ghs.

you are right but also remember carlock senior was hc and ad while he was alive and coaching at ghs. i think he did a pretty good job of both so i think it all would depend on the person and his ego as to if he could do both jobs. i do think jr. could do both but dont in my personal belief think he would because of following in his fathers footsteps and being judged on his success at ghs.

Coach had the advantage of being a Guidance Counselor, and not having to teach 4-5 classes a day as well as coach and be AD.

Coach had the advantage of being a Guidance Counselor, and not having to teach 4-5 classes a day as well as coach and be AD.

true but as the guidance counsler he had the entire student poplulation to deal with where as a teacher yes tought classes but only dealt with students in those classes so i would rather be the counsler than teacher being ad and hc.

Apparantly, Shannon Remines was a finalist today also. There might be your Graham connection. John O'Neal may wish for a Graham connection, but he has nothing to do with who gets hired at this point, it is all the school board, the human resource officer and Dr Lawson. O'Neal's last hire wasn't too good as you guys remember. I have full confidence the right man will get the job. I personally hope it is Bobby Wyatt, but no matter who it is its better than the last guy we had.

Doesn't the HC have to be a teacher or an employee of the school system? Is Remines either of these?

Without knowing the other two candidates, I wonder what happened with O'Neal talking about wanting someone with "connections to Graham"...could be the other two, maybe??? Or maybe, as I've stated before, the decision has already been made (~cough~Wyatt~cough) and this whole interview process is just a mere formality...:rolleyes:

Would only confirm what I believed to be true all along, but hey, if Wyatt gets the job....he's a much better option than what we had before and I'm sure he'll bring a couple of quality assistants along too....

Wyatt is well liked by the kids at GMS and I'm sure a lot of kids will want to play for him....after all, how many of those Pocy kids chose Marrs over Wyatt when the schools consolidated????

I'd love to see Wyatt get the job, bring Roach with him....and it'd be great if Shannon Remines got to work with the defensive side of the ball at the high school....that'd be 3 solid additions.

Edited by futbolking

Guest lookoutmountain

Carlock Senior AD's over a basketball group that had 1 team make it to state in his time other than the Bradshaw years. This record was not just average or below average, it was absolutely horrific. His baseball teams had 1 state appearance during his time which was again, horrible and over his tenure as AD, Graham arguably had some of the worst basketball and baseball teams (if measured by playoff appearances) over a 30 plus year stretch in AA Region 4. One must ask themselves....was he a great AD if considering sports other than football? If the record is any measure of it, the answer is ....No.

Carlock Senior AD's over a basketball group that had 1 team make it to state in his time other than the Bradshaw years. This record was not just average or below average, it was absolutely horrific. His baseball teams had 1 state appearance during his time which was again, horrible and over his tenure as AD, Graham arguably had some of the worst basketball and baseball teams (if measured by playoff appearances) over a 30 plus year stretch in AA Region 4. One must ask themselves....was he a great AD if considering sports other than football? If the record is any measure of it, the answer is ....No.

Very interesting and valid points...

That's a damning, but valid, indictment.

Neither advocating for or against Carlock. However, the AD is responsible for scheduling and making sure buses are ready for transportation. The AD is not responsible for coaching(unless he/she ) is the coach of said sport or the hiring of coaches. Principals and central office staff hire coaches with little to no input from the AD. SOme of you guys give the AD's way to much credit (or lack of) for jobs that are not even their responsibility.

A few quick points on Colobro that may factor. Since he retired from Gate City, he is probably drawing his Virginia pension, so working for Dobbyns-Bennett allows him to "double dip." If he takes a job at Graham, I don't think he can also draw his pension. I also understand he has a house on S. Holston as well.

Yes his parents live here, and his sister in the Principal at Dudley, but IMO the financial factors will outweigh family pull.