D1/D2 Sectional Breakdown from VHSL

great_state

Released Today by VHSL. Looking for a link on their site, but don't see it yet. I'm only typing up the western sections here, just fyi.

*NOTE: The Wise Schools have not been assigned to a division. Document says those assignments will be determined in September.

D2 Western Section / Enrollment

Stuarts Draft 741

Lee 712

Wilson Memorial 708

Gate City 708

Appomattox 669

Chatham 653

Virginia High 651

Floyd County 636

Grayson County 632

Dan River 630

Gretna 614

John Battle 607

Glenvar 600

Nelson County 564

Buffalo Gap 563

Lebanon 553

Graham 531

Giles 519

Riverheads 512

Fort Chiswell 496

Grundy 481

James River 479

Division 1 Western Section

Radford 455

Chilhowie 445

George Wythe 435

Patrick Henry 416

Honaker 390

Auburn 387

Galax 387

Rural Retreat 360

Holston 320

Clintwood 304

Bland/Rocky Gap 299

Eastern Montgomery 298

Haysi 285

Northwood 267

Castlewood 265

J.I. Burton 262

Thomas Walker 241

Narrows 233

Twin Valley 225

Twin Springs 225

Rye Cove 225

Hurley 183

Ervinton 158

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the Eastern sections for anyone interested.

Division 2 Eastern Section

William Monroe 770

Manassas Park 768

Central (Woodstock) 762

Goochland 721

Clarke County 710

Strasburg 687

George Mason 679

Randolph Henry 667

Bluestone 662

King William 635

Buckingham Co. 622

Nottoway 607

East Rockingham 607

Page County 598

Arcadia 591

Nandua 590

Madison County 572

Stonewall Jackson 532

Amelia County 528

Luray 522

Windsor 493

Washington & Lee 488

Essex 485

Division 1 Eastern Section

Northampton 474

Central (LUnenburg) 462

Cumberland 461

Northumberland 419

Mathews 414

ALtavista 413

Lancaster 396

Sussex Central 383

Middlesex 381

Rappahannock 356

Franklin 347

William Campbell 342

Parry McCluer 329

Rappahannock County 300

Surry County 292

West Point 260

Covington 251

Charles City 246

Bath County 232

King & Queen 217

Colonial Beach 180

All 3 Wise schools should be Div. 2.

475 works out well ...

D1 East 22 West 23

D2 East 23 West 25 (assuming Coe/StP is D2)

Still don't see the reasoning to split the Shenandoah District schools in Div. 2...

Would make more sense to have them all together in the West with the Dogwood in the East.

The only difference form the "draft" for SW VA schools is Grundy's numbers came in higher, pushing us up to Div. 2.

(see post 16 for more)

Edited by VHSLhelper

if all 3 wise schools are D2 then wouldn't that knock Grundy down to D1?

I would think so. JJ Kelly and Powell Valley were already larger than Grundy before they combine with the other schools.

I would think so. JJ Kelly and Powell Valley were already larger than Grundy before they combine with the other schools.

good...would much rather see Grundy in D1.

if all 3 wise schools are D2 then wouldn't that knock Grundy down to D1?

Not necessarily now I dont believe. I think they are going to use a hard number (475 in this case), and not necessarily an even number of teams in each division.

Not necessarily now I dont believe. I think they are going to use a hard number (475 in this case), and not necessarily an even number of teams in each division.

Correct. An "even" # of teams was the basis for picking the number, but isn't required.

Some of the teams now in D1 should absolutely dominate in football now.

GW, Radford, Honaker. Shoot, almost unfair given some of the competition at the bottom.

Honaker will do well early in the playoffs but unless they improve back to where they were in the early 2000s then they are no serious contender. GW and Radford on the other hand, well they are the real deal and either could be state champs in the near future! I also cant wait to see the former D1 schools(like Buffalo Gap) have to play schools their own size

Some of the teams now in D1 should absolutely dominate in football now.

GW, Radford, Honaker. Shoot, almost unfair given some of the competition at the bottom.

Honaker?

The 1st round will be Nasty blowouts but round 2 and 3 sould have some VERY interesting matchups (Think GW vs Burton and Clintwood vs Radford in games just to deside who makes it to the simi finals)

The same can be said of Div 2 with Gretna and Riverhead in the same Bracket with Gate City and the consoladated Wise schools

(BTW tough break for Grundy being 6 students over the cutoff)

Honaker?

The 1st round will be Nasty blowouts but round 2 and 3 sould have some VERY interesting matchups (Think GW vs Burton and Clintwood vs Radford in games just to deside who makes it to the simi finals)

The same can be said of Div 2 with Gretna and Riverhead in the same Bracket with Gate City and the consoladated Wise schools

(BTW tough break for Grundy being 6 students over the cutoff)

Honaker's had some great history, and they'll soon dominate again. Especially in D1.

It goes into effect this upcoming season.

From what I understand the first Wise County consolidated school has been named; the Coeburn/St Paul school will be

Eastside Spartans, Green, Black and Silver

The popular name/colors/mascot for JJ Kelly/Pound is Central and either Warriors or Panthers w/ a Red/Black color scheme.

No word on Powell Valley/Appalachia

Edited by redtiger

The only difference form the "draft" for SW VA schools is Grundy's numbers came in higher, pushing us up to Div. 2.

I "slighted" the NRV there... I think of 77 bring the line for SW VA, so I left them out, but I guess I shouldn't.

With Region D losing 4 projected Div. 1 schools (3 in Wise and Grundy being Div. 2),

the Three Rivers Div. 1 teams were moved from the projected East to the West,

so the only Region C district that's in the East is the Pioneer, starting at Craig Co.

It goes into effect this upcoming season.

From what I understand the first Wise County consolidated school has been named; the Coeburn/St Paul school will be

Eastside Spartans, Green, Black and Silver

The popular name/colors/mascot for JJ Kelly/Pound is Central and either Warriors or Panthers w/ a Red/Black color scheme.

No word on Powell Valley/Appalachia

The chosen name is the Apple Valley Phil Robbers. For Appy and Powell Valley

Me either, but warriors wont fly because JJ Kelly is the Indians. So they may end up being the Panthers.

Is Panthers justt he default mascot for consolidated schools? Atleast be a little different and go w/ Cougars

I see GW, Radford benefiting big time from this. Gate City, Clintwood, JI Burton and Essex are the big "losers" IMO. Clintwood and JI Burton went from having to beat each other (and a Region C team that is still in the division) to make the state finals, now to having to go through two of the powerhouses in SWVA (not to mention Chilhowie). Gate City and Essex have to deal with the "big boys." Doesn't really affect Gate City as much, but now they have to go through Gretna in their own half and Essex is the smallest school in the East.

You're right on.

Clintwood/JI Burton will have a tougher time earlier in the playoffs, but they will be on a level playing field if they are able to make it to the finals. No more stacked deck. And no offense to GW or Radford but they are no better than the teams from Reg B that C/JIB were playing in the state finals.

A person from Appy posted on the Cumberland forum that the PV/Appy consolidated school would be called Union High and a mascot "The Storm". School colors would be similar to TCU. I dont know if that is accurate or not though.

The Lonesome Pine District will be broken up most likely. If so, I've heard the Appalachia/Powell Valley name will be the Lonesome Pine Trailblazers, Lonesome Pine Bears, or the Lonesome Pine Pioneers.

If the LPD can be saved by adding another member or 2, then Union High or something else would be used. I like the Black Mountain idea, btw.

Edited by battleftbl