school names and mascots...

Lance

ok...so with the talk of the new teams and mascots...and the generic names being tossed around so far...most of which SUCK by the way...what are some that would be good?

Why schools have to use mascots that are already in use is beyond me...Panthers is in use in our area, so we don't need another Panthers team...sorry. Pioneers is in use as well...don't need another of those either.

Ideas?

Always thought the Coeburn/St.Paul combination could be "Bishops" or "Kings"...kinda Deacony, kinda-Knighty.

Other than Pulaski, there's not a whole lot of Cougars or Mountain Lions.

Mountaineers might be okay but it might get a biased reaction due to WVU.

Cavalry, Miners, Blazers, or Bulls would be unique to the area and also pertain to the area.

jackrabbits haha

Bucks....Gobblers...Coyotes...Black Bears...those would be good mascots for teams from this area.

I also like "Trailblazers"....somebody eluded to that a couple posts back....

Why don't schools use fish for mascots....like Trout...that would be a cool mascot name.

Just don't pick your mascot to be something that's not indiginous (sp?) to the area or has nothing to do with the area's history...I hate when that happens.

Edited by futbolking

For Coeburn/St Paul I was in favor of Crusaders or Paladins, formerly the schools were the Knights and Deacons, so just a simple combination of those two

I like Cougars, Hawks, Pirates(I know it doesent fit geographically but it is a cool mascot that is easy for a student body to get behind), I really like Wolfpack(DCs new mascot), Highlanders, Trailblazers(a spin on Pioneers), Bears, Turtles, Giants, Dragons(rip Garden), Griffens, Lions and Storm(blue, red, scarlet or whatever)

Miners gets tossed around alot but I dont like it. Lumberjacks would be apporiate for DC but no one likes it. I also dont like anything that is gender specific i.e. Bucks Bulls.

My personal local favorite are the G-Men (1 of a kind).

Nobody locally goes w/ a color like The Reds or The Blues(Richlands kinda does but not really), George Wythe is the Maroons but thats about it

Edited by redtiger

For Coeburn/St Paul I was in favor of Crusaders or Paladins, formerly the schools were the Knights and Deacons, so just a simple combination of those two

I like Cougars, Hawks, Pirates(I know it doesent fit geographically but it is a cool mascot that is easy for a student body to get behind), I really like Wolfpack(DCs new mascot), Black Birds, Highlanders, Trailblazers(a spin on Pioneers), Turtles and Storm(blue, red, scarlet or whatever)

Miners gets tossed around alot but I dont like it. Lumberjacks would be apporiate for DC but no one likes it. I also dont like anything that is gender specific i.e. Bucks Bulls.

Nobody locally goes w/ a color like The Reds or The Blues(Richlands kinda does but not really) and I really like it

Just some cool ones from VA

Arcadia Firebirds

Chincoteague Ponies(named for the wild pomies over there)

Colonial Beach Drifters

Hampton Crabbers

King George Foxes

Grafton Clippers

Poquson Bull Islanders

Bluestone Barons

From WV

Inwood Applemen (named for the apples grown in the region)

Man Hillbillies

Paca Dots(greatest mascot ever)

Here is a neat website that relates to this topic http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/teamnames.htm

Edited by redtiger

I like Cougars, Hawks, Pirates(I know it doesent fit geographically but it is a cool mascot that is easy for a student body to get behind), I really like Wolfpack(DCs new mascot), Highlanders, Trailblazers(a spin on Pioneers), Bears, Turtles, Giants, Dragons(rip Garden), Griffens, Lions and Storm(blue, red, scarlet or whatever)

Nobody locally goes w/ a color like The Reds or The Blues(Richlands kinda does but not really), George Wythe is the Maroons but thats about it

graham if you have forgot is cardinal red and gold not the actual school colors but the sports colors since carlock first took over at ghs.

Arcadia Firebirds

Colonial Beach Drifters

Hampton Crabbers

King George Foxes

Grafton Clippers

Poquson Bull Islanders

Bluestone Barons

From WV

Man Hillbillies

Here is a neat website that relates to this topic http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/teamnames.htm

also waynesboro little generals and lee high in staunton the leemen

No, they aren't the 1st sold-out mascot... they're the Little Giants.

Never liked that... oxymoronic's don't do it for me.

The Guest River Jumbo Shrimps?

sorry that is what i meant but not what i typed lol

fingers working faster than brain today.

Arcadia Firebirds

Colonial Beach Drifters

Hampton Crabbers

King George Foxes

Grafton Clippers

Poquson Bull Islanders

Bluestone Barons

From WV

Man Hillbillies

Its not Inwood...its the Musselman Applemen. Their colors are red, green, and white. They beat Bluefield in the 1995 WV AA State Championship as the #15 or #16 seeded team (don't remember for sure which one).

my nephews played Fairfield Union in Ohio......they were known as the "Charging Knights"

think about it.....No way you could abbreviate their name without being vulgar.

They have since changed their name........they are still selling t shirts online for the old mascot...I think they are the Fairfield Union Falcons now...They changed their name probably been about 10 years ago....or more...they may have changed it just prior to my nephews playing them, can't hardly remember....

http://www.t-shirtmojo.com/p-SOLID%99_Fairfield_Union_Charging_Knight_Tee-7165.html

Edited by futbolking

ok...so with the talk of the new teams and mascots...and the generic names being tossed around so far...most of which SUCK by the way...what are some that would be good?

Why schools have to use mascots that are already in use is beyond me...Panthers is in use in our area, so we don't need another Panthers team...sorry. Pioneers is in use as well...don't need another of those either.

Ideas?

I hear the Clintwood ,Haysi ,Ervinton teams will be called the Wolfpack. The new school will be called Ridgeveiw High . The colors will be turquoise and black I'm told ...Other Mascot names considered were the Miners ,Mountaineers ,and Black bears. Vote has already happened and the new school will start in 3 yrs.

I'm not going for political correctness at all here, but the gender-specific nicknames are a bit of a problem in that they don't translate well for girls' sports.

While I do dig the unique quality of the G-Men moniker at Graham, I've never thought that "G-Girls" has ever sounded quite right.

Of course, some attempts at adaptation aren't much better. For example, the boys of Liberty(Bedford) are known as the Minutemen. The girls are identified -- at least colloquially -- as the Minettes.

Maybe there's a provision of Title IX that would allow completely different mascots and nicknames.

Its not Inwood...its the Musselman Applemen. Their colors are red, green, and white. They beat Bluefield in the 1995 WV AA State Championship as the #15 or #16 seeded team (don't remember for sure which one).

Musselman was the #16 seed. Denero Marriott was a WR on that team if I remember correctly who went on to Marshall and caught a ton of passes from Leftwich.

It's not "Paca" Dots. It's POCA Dots and their mascot that ran around on the field during the football games was the same thing as the 7up Spot from their TV commercials.