7 on 7's?

futbolking

When it comes to whether you are AA or AAA in VA it's all about what part of the state your school is located in. If i'm not mistaken the top high school program in the state has less than 1300 students and they compete in AAA and that is Phoebus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the enrollment numbers are not for state wide classifactions.

How is that fair?

In a state as large as VA, it's a necessity. Fair, perhaps not, but when every school in your area is AAA, you're pretty much left on an island. Imagine Hampton travelling to Poquoson, and that being one of your closer district opponents.

When it comes to whether you are AA or AAA in VA it's all about what part of the state your school is located in. If i'm not mistaken the top high school program in the state has less than 1300 students and they compete in AAA and that is Phoebus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the enrollment numbers are not for state wide classifactions.

How is that fair?

Ed,

I don't know where these folks are getting this from. Classifications are based on STATEWIDE enrollment numbers.

I think they are getting CLASSIFICATION and the DIVISION system confused. The Divisional system that the VHSL uses is truly screwed up because a school that is in one division in one region may be in another division in another region. When you get to the State Tournament, you have widely varying enrollment numbers within the same division.

I'm not hating. I just hate when people don't get their facts straight and try to make themselves look like they have accomplished more than they actually have.

If you actually knew how the system worked, then maybe you would understand...

Sorry GMan but you are hating, I haven't read where anyone said anything other than Richlands won the 7on7 held at Marshall... which is a fact so there is really nothing to argue, yourself and a couple others are the ones that had to start dragging anything and everything into the conversation in an attempt to discredit the fact.

I would have to side w/ Gman on this one, Richlands didnt beat any AAA teams.

Since Richlands is a VA team their opponents should be spoken about as if they were VA teams.

Now if fans from Parkersburg wanted to know who beat them, it would be ok to say "Richlands, a 3A team".

Just my thoughts on the subject

Edited by redtiger

I would have to side w/ Gman on this one, Richlands didnt beat any AAA teams.

Since Richlands is a VA team their opponents should be spoken about as if they were VA teams.

Now if fans from Parkersburg wanted to know who beat them, it would be ok to say "Richlands, a 3A team".

Just my thoughts on the subject

Richlands wouldn't be AAA if they were in West Virginia, would they?

Richlands is AA in WV classifactions

Northside would be AAA(biggest schools)

Grundy would be AA

Hurley class A(smallest schools)

Narrows class A

Graham AA

Salem AAA

Tazewell AA

Galax is A

Haysi is A

Richlands wouldn't be AAA if they were in West Virginia, would they?

I really had no idea. I dont know exactly how WV determines classification; is it set numbers or equal thirds? But I assumed they would be close to 3A. I believe the biggest school in WV is around 2,000 students and Richlands is just over 700, which should put them near the AA/3A cutoff.

Good info edrforshey. The problem comes in that VA schools are MUCH larger; Richlands, Graham, Tazewell and Grundy are all pretty much considered small schools in VA. Even Salem and Northside are, enrollment wise, middle of the pack at best in VA. Where as in WV they would all be pretty big.

Edited by redtiger

Come on guys, it doesn't really matter, its 7 0n 7. Richlands has mastered this format over the years, and no matter the classification, you put 7 on the field against them and it will be a good game.

Pretty good show this morning (Saturday the 25th) at CCHS with Pulaski, Galax, Bassett, and Carroll. At this point, everybody should look good running around in shorts with minimal contact. For June, most everybody displayed some good, some bad, and some ugly. Most ugliness comes from the token effort to cover, but it is difficult to do much more than work on technique with the lack of pressure or bodies getting in the way.

I think WAY too much is made of these drills as it relates to predicting success for the upcoming season. I do think the drills have invaluable learning experiences and are fun to watch for those of us who are deprived of football!

7-on-7 at UVA-Wise this Thursday. Coalfield Progress lists start time at noon and teams to be there: Amelia County, Harrisonburg, J.I. Burton, Lebanon, and Union. Think they may have still be looking for some more teams to participate.

redtiger

WV classifies based off of enrollment but they only count 3 grades. They use the numbers from grades 9-11 in the fall the year before the classifications change. They re-classify every 4 years.

redtiger

WV classifies based off of enrollment but they only count 3 grades. They use the numbers from grades 9-11 in the fall the year before the classifications change. They re-classify every 4 years.

Are the schools divided state wide by equal 3rds or by set numbers?

The WVSSAC currently wants 40 teams in AAA, 40 Teams in AA, and the rest in A. The actual cut off numbers for each class vary each time they classify to get those numbers. A lot of people think a 4 class system would be better, but I don't see that happening. The disparity in enrollment in AAA is the biggest. The school with the highest enrollment is double that of the team with the lowest. In AA and A there is about a +300 from top to bottom in enrollment.

The WVSSAC currently wants 40 teams in AAA, 40 Teams in AA, and the rest in A.

No they don't. If they did, they would have it that way. WV is split in equal thirds.

In regards to the enrollment disparity, the only real complaints come from the smaller public schools who find it near impossible to compete against the private, Catholic schools who, more or less, have the ability to go and "recruit" kids to come to school and play sports.

Now, back to the enrollment numbers issue...

Va. uses grades 9-12, WV uses 9-11. Borh divide into equal 3rds, but VA lets you play up on the Group level only, so Richlands can't move up to Div. 4.

Richlands latest ADM of 795 converts to 598 in the WV system, making them a large AA there. Pulaski's ADM of 1489 (big AA here) converts to 1117 in WV, which would be the 10th largest school in WV.

WV's AA range is 340-618, which becomes 453-824 in Va., which would have Grundy & JJ Kelly as the smallest AA's and Cave Spring & Poquoson as the smallest AAA's.

WV's bigest school, 1446 Parkersburg, would be 1928 here,making them only 51st on the list, just behinfd PH-Roanoke. They would be Div. 6 in 3/4's of the state,, but Div. 5 if up in NoVa.

GMan

Go to the wvssac website. There is 40 in AAA, 40 in AA, and 51 in A, which the a few of them do not compete in football. It is not equal thirds, and never has been. The disparity is in the numbers, not the private-public. People do think there is an issue with private-public competing together, but the discussions about the 4 class system would have the private schools competing in AA, which would give the smaller schools there own class. It would also lower the gap in enrollment in what is now AAA. A four class system could be split in fourths or a 30, 30, 30, 41 with some schools in A not competing in all sports.

Now, back to the enrollment numbers issue...

Va. uses grades 9-12, WV uses 9-11. Borh divide into equal 3rds, but VA lets you play up on the Group level only, so Richlands can't move up to Div. 4.

Richlands latest ADM of 795 converts to 598 in the WV system, making them a large AA there. Pulaski's ADM of 1489 (big AA here) converts to 1117 in WV, which would be the 10th largest school in WV.

WV's AA range is 340-618, which becomes 453-824 in Va., which would have Grundy & JJ Kelly as the smallest AA's and Cave Spring & Poquoson as the smallest AAA's.

WV's bigest school, 1446 Parkersburg, would be 1928 here,making them only 51st on the list, just behinfd PH-Roanoke. They would be Div. 6 in 3/4's of the state,, but Div. 5 if up in NoVa.

i thought wv used grade 10 -12 instead of 9-11