Smith out at Tazewell?

Lance

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tazewell wants a coach that will play who the parents want to play, and will do whatever the parents want the coach to do, and doesn't have any original thoughts.

...oh and somehow manage to win while doing all of that.

Tazewell wants a coach that will play who the parents want to play, and will do whatever the parents want the coach to do, and doesn't have any original thoughts.

...oh and somehow manage to win while doing all of that.

So they want the exact opposite of what Graham fans want...

Anyway...any idea who the head coach will be? I heard that coach Briscoe from Marion may have been going as an assistant. Any possibility that he may turn out be the new head coach?

Dang, what happened? He just got there. And just for the record, Doug Marrs is available.

Heard that all but 1 or 2 of his assistants from last year quit on him. And please, take Marrs. Good luck with that. ;)

How many assistants does a head coach need? At times Haysi has only had 3 assistants(not counting JV coaches who help out at games). Better to have 2-3 guys that really want to be there and are dedicated than 7-8 who arent.

Offensive Coordinator (work w/ backs)

Defensive Coordinator (work w/ backs)

Line Coach

Head Coach

Is that not enough?

How many assistants does a head coach need? At times Haysi has only had 3 assistants(not counting JV coaches who help out at games). Better to have 2-3 guys that really want to be there and are dedicated than 7-8 who arent.

Offensive Coordinator (work w/ backs)

Defensive Coordinator (work w/ backs)

Line Coach

Head Coach

Is that not enough?

Graham used to walk out on the field with about a dozen coaches (I may be exagerrating a little, but not much).....a lot of those guys were volunteers and not paid assistants.

Heard that all but 1 or 2 of his assistants from last year quit on him. And please, take Marrs. Good luck with that. ;)

From what I was told several months ago he actually fired a few of the assistants and others left. Some of those most people will be glad to see gone.

I havent heard any other news about him being gone yet, am curious to learn more though.

We had the coach that played who parents wanted to play with Harris Hart and they still ran him off. He actually was a decent coach look at what he has done for Bland with the talent pool that they have over there. We need someone to come in like Graham did. Somebody that doesn't give a rat's butt about who you are and will do what it takes to win. I get so tired of the families with $$$ thinking their kid is going to be the next all-star!

My wife just read me the article that he had resigned as coach yesterday citing health issues (diabetes) but will remain as a teacher.

Could we see the rise of Randy Sparks? I heard he had applied for the Graham job.

Tazewell football coach resigns

By Jim Talbert

Published: June 17, 2011

» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

TAZEWELL – A new leader will take the reins of the ‘Dog pack this season.

Tazewell High Principal Keith Hovis confirmed June 17that Terry Smith has resigned as the head football coach. Hovis said Smith submitted the resignation at four p.m. June 16 for personal and family reasons.

He said the job was posted to the school system’s website early June 17 and applications would be taken. “We can’t be too patient but it will take some patience to get through the process of finding a new coach,’ Hovis said.

Smith replaced Bobby Wyatt at the helm of the Bulldogs last season and went 1-9. Rumors had circulated in the community since the end of last season that his staff had all resigned. Three of last year’s assistants were re-appointed at the June 14 school board meeting when Smith was reaffirmed as the head coach.

Smith said June 17 that he is a diabetic and his doctors had told him to do a better job of managing the condition. He said that advice coupled with the poor health of his brother and father led him to reevaluate his coaching career.

Smith said he plans to continue teaching at Tazewell and to possibly work on his doctorate degree.

Seen this coming the day they said he was hired just did not think it would be this soon. Ok lets start the talk who takes over the Bulldogs. Marrs? Or For Some Real Fun They Bring Back Wyatt LOL.

i vote we send marrs to tazewell let them have him for several years.

i vote we send marrs to tazewell let them have him for several years.

come on, they've already hit rock bottom over there....after all, Graham's only win WAS against Tazewell last year.....

Hate to hear of Smith's health concerns, probably the right move for him....especially with the pressure put on the coach over there...

As far as Graham's coach not catering to the parents....I sure hope that's true....and it appears that this coach is a man of character, so I do believe it is a good thing for GHS. The kids will have to work to earn a spot and competition within the team will breed success.

come on' date=' they've already hit rock bottom over there....after all, Graham's only win WAS against Tazewell last year.....

Hate to hear of Smith's health concerns, probably the right move for him....especially with the pressure put on the coach over there...

As far as Graham's coach not catering to the parents....I sure hope that's true....and it appears that this coach is a man of character, so I do believe it is a good thing for GHS. The kids will have to work to earn a spot and competition within the team will breed success.[/quote']

Let's get Doug another job. Come on hovis hire marrs.he deserves another chance. He will do a great job down in t-town.

Guest cj_vt

Smith did not fire any of his assistant coaches! I just hate it for the kids that will have their third new coach in three years. Not to mention they will probably get him two weeks before the season starts.

Smith did not fire any of his assistant coaches! I just hate it for the kids that will have their third new coach in three years. Not to mention they will probably get him two weeks before the season starts.

well you had a good coach in Wyatt and ran him off, so that's what you get i guess...careful what you wish.

well you had a good coach in Wyatt and ran him off, so that's what you get i guess...careful what you wish.

Agreed. :) Too bad there's too many who disagree and can't tell a good thing.