Best All Time for your school???

mdotson98

Guest lookoutmountain

Holloway- a starter at Virginia Tech, and Robert Viney, a first team All American at Hampton University his junior and senior years...had a couple NFL tryouts and made it twice to the final cut.

I would have hated to be in front of Mccommins running toward me with a full head of steam.

Jeremy McCommons was a good athlete, no doubt. His junior year he had an exceptional offensive line and one of the best fullbacks ever to play at Richlands. The problem for Jeremy is that the entire O-line and the fullback were seniors. Went from 1600+ yards his junior year to 400+ yards his senior year.

Brother, you must be a youngster at Bluefield. You truly have no idea of how great some of your legends were. Only Yubrenal and Simms belong in the top 10 list at Bluefield. You had guys like Gutyon, Williams, Bains, and many others go on to MAJOR Div 1 schools and start from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Your right that was way before my time but my top 10 is based on who i've seen play for Bluefield. I have all the respect in the world for the teams of the 50's, 60's, and 70's and I'm aware that there were legends on those teams that were were probably top 10 caliber. Just not familiar with alot of the names of the players on those teams.

I noticed that the only 2 players from the '92 State Championship team mentioned here were Brannon Breeding and Josh Perkins (both well deserved.) If you have an "all-time Richlands team" Sam Barnett would have to garner first team Center, and maybe first team DE. Brad Salyers was above exceptional. Chris Harrison and Brad Davis would have a strong argument. Yancy Tabor had the best "technique" of any offensive lineman that I can remember. There were also some greats on the '91 team. Anthony Cox and Donnie Lester. L.C. Phipps, Robert Hagerman, Jason Sizemore were all studs on the '90 team.

Haysi's glory days were a little before my time but I wil give it a shot. In no specific order

*Jason Edwards OL Great linemen, paved the way for some very good Haysi teams

*Pat Sutherland OL Same as above

*Tito Mock LB a force on defense

*Blaine Hackney RB/DB Great kick returner

*Jamie Hackney QB Slinging the ball around in the 90s like it was 2010

*Jason Compton QB same as above, still in the VHSL record books

*Kory Bostic WR uncoverable, great hands and speed

*Robbie Colley Safety Was a ball hock at safety, could have been an all state WR but played QB on Offense

*Josh Yates Great DT(had 20+ tackels in 1 game vs Clintwood), just give up running inside, also a very good OL

*Blake Owens TE Played TE was more of an H-Back, dominating in the open field, very good blocker

Honorable mention

*Todd Tiller OL, a big part of some of the best Olines at Haysi

*Jake Colley ATH, was a very good DB, like his brother would have been an incredible WR but played QB, the best scrambling QB I have ever seen

there are a few more that deserve to be on HM but the names escape me right now

I am a little young for a all time list so I put alot of those guys on there because of reputation and not because I actually saw them play although I have watched film of all of them

Edited by redtiger

Tazewell: Stevie Mitchem, Jeff Lamie, Rick Noel, John Rainey, Jessee Davis, Stephan Hollaway, Cokie Kitts, Quinten Reed, Ronnie Thompson, Mark Muncey.

Robbie Collie punter

Also we can add Kon Patterson to list as well!

Just a few from Abingdon from about 1980 on that went on to play college ball - I know they had some very good players in the 60s and 70s too, just don't know names

Mark Briscoe - lettered @ VT

Steve Knight - started on OL @ UT, drafted by Colts

Eric Smith - HS All-American, lettered @ VT

Will Colley - recruited as a TE, started on OL @ UGA

Sean Lucas - started @ OLB/S @ VT

Jamie Harless - NCAA D3 All-American @ Emory & Henry

Guest lookoutmountain

Junior Colemen. Sorry I wrote Stiltner. I guess so many Stiltner's in my head from Grundy, but his name was Junior Coleman, First Team All State both sides of the ball, and I'm pretty sure played at Univ of Kentucky.

Out of who I saw play:

Lance Goff-VT

Matt Williams-???

Robert Barcliff-Indiana State/UVA-Wise

Tyrus Gardner -UVA

Grant Throckmorton-VT

Larry McCoy-Duquense (well on his way to the NFL)

Brandon Atwell-Ohio

Junior Colemen. Sorry I wrote Stiltner. I guess so many Stiltner's in my head from Grundy, but his name was Junior Coleman, First Team All State both sides of the ball, and I'm pretty sure played at Univ of Kentucky.

#7 on my list...although not in particular any order.

Hurley's list of great players. Most of them from the "glory years". No particular order.

Greg Justus "still holds the state record for points scored in game. 58

David Davis "all state and went on to a brilliant career at Emory.

John potter "all state, played college at ferum.

Greg tester "all state, would have gained over 2000 yards in 10 games but a injury at richlands stopped that, but went on and got it in the playoffs.

Greg rexroad "man amongst boys"

Ledford Gibson "one of the main reasons fir David davis's stellar career.

Shane Justice "over 3000 yards in career in only 3 seasons, 1700 coming in his senior season guiding Hurley to back to back playoffs and 8-2 record.

Edited by mapper

Hurley's list of great players. Most of them from the "glory years". No particular order.

Greg Justus "still holds the state record for points scored in game. 58

David Davis "all state and went on to a brilliant career at Emory.

John potter "all state, played college at ferum.

Greg tester "all state, would have gained over 2000 yards in 10 games but a injury at richlands stopped that, but went on and got it in the playoffs.

Greg rexroad "man amongst boys"

Ledford Gibson "one of the main reasons fir David davis's stellar career.

Shane Justice "over 3000 yards in career in only 3 seasons, 1700 coming in his senior season guiding Hurley to back to back playoffs and 8-2 record.

I know its premature but depending on how this season plays out Cooper could be on that list. Im really not up on my Hurley Football history but he has got to be one of the better Rebel QBs. Right?

Statistic wise I would say without a doubt he is one of the better if not best in Hurley history. But at the same time he has had a 6'8 receiver to throw to. In quaterback best at the school I am going to go (no particular order) Mark Hackney, Adam Blankenship, Isaac Stacy, Austin Cooper.

if you talk Hurley, there are some old guys on that list none of us know enough about to make one up...so, pretty much have to stick with modern era. I think Smiley had a few back in the day that were pretty good.

BLUFAN04

if your going to put Cole on there you have to put Jake Lilly led the team in tackles 4 years in a row. Also Teddy Coppola

Believe me I thought about Lilly and Coppola but I put Cole in there because he is the school's all time leader in passing yards and former Kennedy Award winner. There are so many you can put on that list.

Edited by blufan04