Grid-o-rama results...

futbolking

Graham looks like they have definitely improved...

They had a 14-14 tie with GW against 1st teamers...

GW scored on a long pass play on the final play to tie the score....

Graham scored a long td pass against Southern Lee on the 3rd play from scrimmage....then after that play, it was wholesale substitution, the 2nd and 3rd qb played the rest of the scrimmage against Lee's 1st teamers (they open their season next week)...

Graham ultimately ended up losing that contest, I believe 21-7...

Richlands was rolling over S. Lee with their first teamers, not sure of score, I was paying more attention to Graham....(Johnson was having a field day)

George Wythe first teamers I believe beat Richlands first teamers 14-0...again not sure of score, was paying more attention to Graham...(GW and Richlands looked pretty evenly matched).

My impressions of Graham are....they are young, but have plenty of quickness and speed....they ran out of the I and out of the spread....QB had lots of room to run, when they rolled him out....RB's got stacked up a lot, but also broke some long runs....

I believe, if they shore up the lineplay a little bit, they could be a pretty solid team.

I was really impressed with the way they played against GW....started out slow, but then seemed to get in a rhythm and eat up some yardage, along with some big gainers....Graham is still very young and should win their fair share of games this year....could get interesting late in the season, as this team matures.

Looked like a big crowd was there...I'd say about 2500 to 3000 people.....

GW and Richlands was a slugfest....it was fun to watch, also. Richlands had a much tougher go against GW...

I left when the J.V.'s and special teams started...so somebody please fill us in on that.

Edited by futbolking

I may also be wrong but, I think the RHS & GW 1st teamers score was 14 to 7 GW. Then the backups and JV teams took over. Again I may be wrong because I was trying to watch some of the other game and was also running my mouth...lol

Richlands Looked pretty good at times, but they do need some work. The DB's need some time because they are all very inexperienced. But with coach Mance, you really can't tell much about them at the Grid-o-rama. He's always trying different people here n there and doesn't show much. Of course I'm sure all the schools do the same.

They have a lot of talent and just need some time and Mance & staff will have them ready by the start of the season.

My .02 cents is Graham has a ton of work to do. I don't see their line blocking many teams this year. May be another long year for the G-Men. George Wythe handled Richlands pretty good I thought. I definetly think if Richlands plays any big physical teams they could lose some games this year.

I just didn't see to much positive from Graham...they did appear to tackle better and they did swarm to the ball, but they don't have any depth again and the line on both sides of the ball is needing much more work. I still think once they get a few years of Coach Williams' conditioning and weight training they will get back to being more physical.

Graham's best hope on offense is probably running Sheets out of the spread and let him try to make something happen. It's hard to tell from these scrimmages what teams will do in the regular season so who knows, Graham hopefully will adjust some things and be better. I think Coach Williams will get it turned around...the kids played hard and the overall scheme on offense and defense looked better than the previous 6 years.

My .02 cents is Graham has a ton of work to do. I don't see their line blocking many teams this year. May be another long year for the G-Men. George Wythe handled Richlands pretty good I thought. I definetly think if Richlands plays any big physical teams they could lose some games this year.

I just didn't see to much positive from Graham...they did appear to tackle better and they did swarm to the ball, but they don't have any depth again and the line on both sides of the ball is needing much more work. I still think once they get a few years of Coach Williams' conditioning and weight training they will get back to being more physical.

Graham's best hope on offense is probably running Sheets out of the spread and let him try to make something happen. It's hard to tell from these scrimmages what teams will do in the regular season so who knows, Graham hopefully will adjust some things and be better. I think Coach Williams will get it turned around...the kids played hard and the overall scheme on offense and defense looked better than the previous 6 years.

I thought they did fine....considering...They did play a lot of youngsters for most of the S. Lee scrimmage and they went toe to toe with a very good G.W. team.... I saw a lot of improvement, but I do question the line-play...I think there is potential there, I guess we will see. You are definitely correct about lack of depth, but that's because 2/3 of the team are freshmen and sophomores...

I see them winning a few games this season.

Edited by futbolking

I thought the overall play of Richlands was not what it should have been, they came out against the team from NC and looked good, then they looked pretty bad the rest of the night, I think as already stated that only so much can be taken from it, and the games that count haven't even started yet.

On the other side of the field I did think Graham looked much better than I have saw them in several years, there was some pretty good hitting going on over there.

I thought the overall play of Richlands was not what it should have been, they came out against the team from NC and looked good, then they looked pretty bad the rest of the night, I think as already stated that only so much can be taken from it, and the games that count haven't even started yet.

On the other side of the field I did think Graham looked much better than I have saw them in several years, there was some pretty good hitting going on over there.

George Wythe is a very, very good team....a lot of folks have picked them to win the D-1 state title this year...I would not be disappointed in the outcome of that contest...Richlands moved the ball well at times...GW is a very solid team....I'm sure Mance will have them straight come the start of the season...he was mixing up the playbook a little in that scrimmage as well...but GW sure looks stout for single A....I agree with Graham looking better, mainly because of a QB who made good decisions and some quickness on both sides of the ball....Their line is a huge ?? however...they lost most of the battles at the line of scrimmage...but I do believe the coach knows how to compensate for that. The off-tackle stuff wasn't working well....however, rolling the qb out, the pitch and the quick slant was working really well. They don't have much depth, as stated before....but I think they'll surprise a few people.

Defensively, they held their own against a pretty physical GW team...GW did have a good drive and a few plays that went for first down yardage.....and they had a beautiful pass to the corner of the endzone for their final score....Graham got burnt on the pass a couple of times.....

As far as the scores against them by S. Lee.....it was against mostly backups for Graham, so that makes me concerned about Graham's depth....overall, I was pleased by the progress Graham has made.

Richlands and G.W. were both impressive, I thought in that slugfest they had.....

Edited by futbolking

The thing for Graham that stood out to me was the fact that the coaches showed enthusiasm when the guys made plays. Nice to see that side.

Was glad to see Billy Roach out there with the team as well....

Lot of Graham folks were there tonight as well....much more than showed up at last year's grid-o-rama...for Graham...good to see the enthusiasm all the way around.

I'm going to shut up now....I'm just glad to see some football, finally!!

I also thought that what I saw from the Gmen that they did look better then they did at last years Grid-o-Rama and that's what you want to see is improvement. I can't speak for their depth as I didn't watch enough of their scrimmage.

One trap that the Blues fans need to avoid is comparing this years team to last years. we lost 21 or 22 Sr's from last year. All of the wide-outs and DB's are gone along with one of Richlands best ever linebackers in Cody Thomas and one of their best D-linemen in Will Lowe and one hell of a wide-out/athlete in Bradley Strong. But I still liked a lot of what I saw.

This team has some talent but are very inexperienced in some skill positions on O and D. I don't think they will be undefeated but they will get better every week and be in the playoff hunt again.

They have some studs, but the young ones need a little seasoning yet !

Anybody heard how Tazewell did in their scrimmage ?

Against Southern Lee our Offense looked like last years team, scored 5 TDs in no time. Devon looked like a Man playing against Boys running over and around eveyone, and the Defense allowed nothing at all. The D-line and LBs look like they might be special but our DBs might have problems this year, very young and small. Against GW, it was alot more even. Think they outscored us 3 Tds to 2. GW has good size and speed and look like they might be very good this year. Overall i think as far as the newcomers go, Mike Comptons son is gonna be very good. Eric Johnson and Todd McGlothlin look like they could take over for Lowe and Thomas.

Guest lookoutmountain

Richlands looked awesome offensively against Southern Lee. South Lee was playing with it's backup QB and a center who has never snapped the ball. Both of there starters were hurt the night before in a scrimmage against Lumberton, NC. This explained about 4 or so snaps over the QB's head against Richlands.

GW is going to be a excellent team this season! I was very impressed with the way they went at Richlands. Not the Richlands of last year but still dang good! Graham looked so much more improved. Their overall speed both on the line and in the backfield seem to give GW problems. I think Graham will surprise alot of people and with the new point system could do well since their non-conference games are against all AA schools and one AAA. They could end up with a high number of points the way their schedule is set up.

I think Graham will surprise alot of people and with the new point system

There is no "new point system"...its the same one that's been in place the last few years...

Your exactly right, they way they calculate things have not changed. The points are the only thing that can get you in the playoffs now. Play a weak schedule and you could be out to a team with not as many wins but a stronger shcedule.

Your exactly right, they way they calculate things have not changed. The points are the only thing that can get you in the playoffs now. Play a weak schedule and you could be out to a team with not as many wins but a stronger shcedule.

only difference is really the district doesnt give you an automatic bid...usually teams that play a soft schedule dont win the district anyway...so it's probably easier to get in now in my opinion...you dont have a weak district champ like Va High always was in the Highlands taking up a good teams playoff spot because they won 4 games.