Scrimmage Results from Bristol....anyone?

futbolking

I went and saw the first 3 games

Abingdon 28, Graham 14

All teams started on the 30 yd line, 55 minutes alloted to play (2 qtrs of 12 min each)

Abingdon scored in their first three possessions. First score marched down field from 30, mainly #7 running ball. Second TD was QB keeper of about 40 yds. Third score was by #25.

Graham's first two possessions were four and out. On their third possession #15 scored on a 50 yd reception from QB

Abindon had their first 4 and out after Graham TD. Abingdon's punter #2 --Wow he is good.

Graham and Abingdon then traded 4 and out next 2 possessions.

Graham's #21 ran for a TD, called back by a hold penalty. Then on 4th and 1 didn't make 1st down and turns ball over.

Abingdon scores TD run by #7 making it 28-7

Graham's final score came on a 25 yd TD run by #16

Union 14, Eastside 7

Eastside's 1st two possesions 4 and out

Union scored first TD on run from ES 47 by #12, score 7-0

#23 for Union with TD run making score 14-0

2nd qtr Union marches ball down field, can't punch it in for TD, tries 12 yd FG and no good

Eastside after a couple of 4 and outs, goes for it on 4th and 4, #11 runs a 41 yd TD making score 14-7

Next possesion each for Union and Eastside 4 and out

Gate City 28, Graham 7

Graham looked much better on their first series with GC, marching ball down the field from their 30, with a couple of receptions to #9, getting to GC 5 yd line. Lose back to the 10 yd line and pass thrown to #43 dropped in endzone. Then QB sacked back to 46 yd line.

GC on their first possession moved the ball down to 12 yd line and 1st qtr ended.

Graham and GC only had one possession each in 1st qtr with time consuming drives.

At beginning of 2nd qtr GC moves ball down to 3, appears to fumble, one ref pointing toward Graham recovering ball, but overruled by another ref who said GC player down.

GC scores on next possesion, not sure who it was.

QB #10 kicking XP, score 7-0 GC

On Graham's next possession started on their 30, moved the ball with an offsides and pass interference penalties against GC to their 45. GC recovers fumble on 32 yd line

TD run from #34 GC to make score 14-0

On Graham's next possession from their 30 with 8:21 in 2nd qtr moves ball to 43 yd line and then GC #44 intercepts ball and runs it for TD making score 21-0

Graham moves ball again with help of another GC offsides, then from 38 yd line, I believe it was #35 runs for TD making score 21-7

On GC's last score #10 intercepts pass to 42 yd line and then has 10 yd TD run, making final score 28-7

Observations--Abingdon looked good in game I saw with Graham, mainly they ran the ball, #7 had some good runs against the G-Men.

Graham looks like they have the heart, not much size. Their center threw the ball high a few times to QB. Appears they still have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball.

Gate City is Gate City, still have some kinks to work out on penalties, still using their bread and butter of grinding out the ball on the ground.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I went and saw the first 3 games

Abingdon 28, Graham 14

All teams started on the 30 yd line, 55 minutes alloted to play (2 qtrs of 12 min each)

Abingdon scored in their first three possessions. First score marched down field from 30, mainly #7 running ball. Second TD was QB keeper of about 40 yds. Third score was by #25.

Graham's first two possessions were four and out. On their third possession #15 scored on a 50 yd reception from QB

Abindon had their first 4 and out after Graham TD. Abingdon's punter #2 --Wow he is good.

Graham and Abingdon then traded 4 and out next 2 possessions.

Graham's #21 ran for a TD, called back by a hold penalty. Then on 4th and 1 didn't make 1st down and turns ball over.

Abingdon scores TD run by #7 making it 28-7

Graham's final score came on a 25 yd TD run by #16

Union 14, Eastside 7

Eastside's 1st two possesions 4 and out

Union scored first TD on run from ES 47 by #12, score 7-0

#23 for Union with TD run making score 14-0

2nd qtr Union marches ball down field, can't punch it in for TD, tries 12 yd FG and no good

Eastside after a couple of 4 and outs, goes for it on 4th and 4, #11 runs a 41 yd TD making score 14-7

Next possesion each for Union and Eastside 4 and out

Gate City 28, Graham 7

Graham looked much better on their first series with GC, marching ball down the field from their 30, with a couple of receptions to #9, getting to GC 5 yd line. Lose back to the 10 yd line and pass thrown to #43 dropped in endzone. Then QB sacked back to 46 yd line.

GC on their first possession moved the ball down to 12 yd line and 1st qtr ended.

Graham and GC only had one possession each in 1st qtr with time consuming drives.

At beginning of 2nd qtr GC moves ball down to 3, appears to fumble, one ref pointing toward Graham recovering ball, but overruled by another ref who said GC player down.

GC scores on next possesion, not sure who it was.

QB #10 kicking XP, score 7-0 GC

On Graham's next possession started on their 30, moved the ball with an offsides and pass interference penalties against GC to their 45. GC recovers fumble on 32 yd line

TD run from #34 GC to make score 14-0

On Graham's next possession from their 30 with 8:21 in 2nd qtr moves ball to 43 yd line and then GC #44 intercepts ball and runs it for TD making score 21-0

Graham moves ball again with help of another GC offsides, then from 38 yd line, I believe it was #35 runs for TD making score 21-7

On GC's last score #10 intercepts pass to 42 yd line and then has 10 yd TD run, making final score 28-7

Observations--Abingdon looked good in game I saw with Graham, mainly they ran the ball, #7 had some good runs against the G-Men.

Graham looks like they have the heart, not much size. Their center threw the ball high a few times to QB. Appears they still have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball.

Gate City is Gate City, still have some kinks to work out on penalties, still using their bread and butter of grinding out the ball on the ground.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Thanks for the INfo....appears from what you said that Graham did move the ball a little, so that's positive....sounds like a lot of turnovers, hopefully get that out of their system. Should be interesting against Bluefield, as I hear their lineplay is questionable this year as well.... I'm heading to Pulaski tomorrow to watch Bluefield and PC and see if Graham has any chance in heck to make it a game with Bluefield....

Guest Chubz

These are the scores I came away with:

Abingdon 21, Graham 14

Union 14, Eastside 7

Gate City 28, Graham 14

Union 7, Abingdon 0

VA High 21, Eastside 0

George Wythe 21, Gate City 7

George Wythe 13, VA High 7 (Roughly midway through the game)

If I had to rank the teams based on the performances I saw, this is how it would look:

1. George Wythe

2. Gate City

3. VA High

4. Union

5. Abingdon

6. Eastside

7. Graham

Without a doubt, Wythe appeared to be the strongest of all the teams. I was impressed by them, even though they slowed down halfway through the game versus Gate City and were showing signs of even more fatigue in their next game. VA High was giving them all they could handle, but as I was leaving Wythe was mounting a comeback and had taken the lead. They had pretty good size and lots of talent on both sides of the ball. It was difficult for me to pick the "weakest" of all the teams because most of them I'd only seen once or twice - and it is, after all, only a jamboree. I think you could really mix up the bottom 3, but if there was one team I was the least impressed with it was Graham. They played rather sloppily, I thought. Eastside did, too, but they were mounting a comeback near the end of the Union game so I can't help but position them above Graham.

You could arguably even mix up the top 3, too. The way VA High fought against Wythe, I could certainly see them being above even Gate City! Those top 3 teams showed some bright spots and I think all 3 will have good seasons. Today, Union played much the same way they did versus Tennessee High: Lots of bright spots and potential, but at the same time too many crucial mistakes on both sides of the ball. They have some work to do, for sure, but just as I said in the Tennessee High scrimmage thread, I really do think they will shape up to be one tough club.

I recorded the first half of every game but the first and last and will upload the footage as soon as I have the time. Overall, it was an excellent jamboree! The weather was great despite a few rain drops here and there and I even got a little sun thanks to sitting in one spot for roughly 5 1/2 hours! I'm still considering attending the jamboree at Norton tomorrow. I'm not sure I can ever watch enough football.

So what happened to 10 (Sheets). Best player easily from the first scrimmage and he played nothing? Wow. Figured after seeing him in space with the running backs we have someone would have figured out the option would be the best possible scenario by now. Wow, just wow. Lets throw the ball all over the field and wait for the second string to come in to score. I just cant figure this out. Is Doug still coaching at Graham. (BTW I know Doug isnt there). Why throw the football? I just dont get it.

Edited by YOTD

That wasn't as much fatigue with George Wythe against Virginia High as much as it was backups/reserves. When the GW coach called timeout to get a new defense on the field against Virginia High is when I got up and left. The very next play the Bearcats scored on the Maroon reserves. GW has a very good team, should move deep into the playoffs no question about it.

So what happened to 10 (Sheets). Best player easily from the first scrimmage and he played nothing? Wow. Figured after seeing him in space with the running backs we have someone would have figured out the option would be the best possible scenario by now. Wow, just wow. Lets throw the ball all over the field and wait for the second string to come in to score. I just cant figure this out. Is Doug still coaching at Graham. (BTW I know Doug isnt there). Why throw the football? I just dont get it.

This post worries me as a Graham supporter. Anyone who was at the Grid-o-Rama last friday could see the only offense we had was when #10 was at qb. Putting him in space and letting him create worked with positive results. I hope that Coach Williams is not trying to force his scheme, I formation, on a team that simply does not have the personnel for its successful implementation. We do not have the big powerful line for the I formation. We have a small line with several quick backs. Not wanting to beat a dead horse but the 05 team with Robert Henry and the 09 team had the personnel for the "I". I am just hoping Coach Williams was using the scrimmage as a "practice".

Hopefully he was just trying to get some other kids some experience. The only offense I see Graham having this year is Sheets running for his life. I don't think Graham's line will be able to pass block or run block very well. Maybe the line will be better in games that count than the scrimmages. Spread the offense out and let Sheets and Jackson try to make something happen.

Well from what I have seen and heard the highligh of the last scimmage was when it was over. I was told the score was decieving. At least two scores were on the second team and the last on was a pass with about 38 seconds left against maybe a third string. No one and I mean no one had anything positive to say I have talked to. Simply put one running back had a big run, maybe edwards and one reciever 17 (dunno who he was) caught a wr bubble and broke a few takles on around a 60-70 yrd run. Thats it against the first string. Scores, fans opinion and stats can be decieving but more often than not, spot on. Sorry if I sound negative, but it makes no sense. Why no 10?

You people amaze me. Shaking head......We haven't even played a game yet and you are questioning him. All I can say is wow.

Agreed!

Give the coach a chance to see where players fit the best...and how they react in game-type situations. This is only the SECOND TIME he's had his players in action against other teams. Everything still has that "new car" smell to it.

He isn't a miracle worker...success isn't going to happen instantly. Let everyone get more familiar with everything and success will return. It will take a little time...BE PATIENT!!!!!

<shaking head>You guys are starting to sound like the Tazewell clan...maybe some of you should follow the wagon to Reidsville....</shaking head>

The Bluefield game IS next week... I think the coach saw all he needed to see out of Sheets. Why risk getting him hurt right before the biggest game of the season..sounds like a lot of Graham's better players didn't get a whole lot of action from reading the posts of who scored for Graham... Sounds to me like the coach is treating the scrimmages exactly how scrimmages should be treated....

Did I miss something? The Bristol paper talked about how good Virginia High did last night. I didn't think they looked good at all. They did beat Eastside but Eastside was not a good team. Had they played GWs first string for the full quarter I think GW would have beaten them by whatever score they wanted to beat them by.

Last night was the first time I had seen Eastside and they were making a lot of mistakes against VHS. They beat themselves as much as VHS beat them. I will say this for VHS, they do have a lot of speed in the backfield.

Did I miss something? The Bristol paper talked about how good Virginia High did last night. I didn't think they looked good at all. They did beat Eastside but Eastside was not a good team. Had they played GWs first string for the full quarter I think GW would have beaten them by whatever score they wanted to beat them by.

The BHC is very biased toward VHS. They always hype up the Bearcats as the best thing since sliced bread. They could have finished last and they still would have a big write up about how good they looked. They like to give the love to the hometown team, just the way it is

The BHC is very biased toward VHS. They always hype up the Bearcats as the best thing since sliced bread. They could have finished last and they still would have a big write up about how good they looked. They like to give the love to the hometown team, just the way it is

exactly...thats like the Virginia Star hyping Us, Rye Cove, and TS up every week.

You can throw a rock from the BHC office and hit Gene Malcolm Stadium. They're going to hype them up. They beat Coeburn and lost to GW's backups and now they can compete for a championship. I'm lost.

Sheets is a playmaker for Graham, but he can not throw the football, from what I have heard from many is that several people feel baker went in and on that first drive against gate city took the starting job for himself, the g-men do not have the line to run the football and have te recievers took make plays and Jackson was the best last year when they were in the spread.

Sheets is a playmaker for Graham, but he can not throw the football, from what I have heard from many is that several people feel baker went in and on that first drive against gate city took the starting job for himself, the g-men do not have the line to run the football and have te recievers took make plays and Jackson was the best last year when they were in the spread.

Maybe so, it just seemed that at the first scrimmage, Sheets was picking up good yardage on his own when rolling out and hitting the open man when he needed to against GW....I was surprised to hear that he hadn't played much.... But, I don't believe the coaches are going to show Bluefield much.... I think Sheets will be the starter....Who knows, maybe both will get playing time.

Also, if it's any consolation....Bluefield's qb threw up a lot of ducks in their scrimmage against PC...basically jump balls.

From what I am hearing, Bluefield faithful seem to be a little worried this year, no line, qb is young and cracked a little under pressure at PC, and secondary is week. If graham beats bluefield, and with every day that seems to becoming more and more likely, then the beavers will possibly go 6-4 maybe 5-5. 2 losses to charlotte schools, loss to graham, princeton, and gate city. could be a long year for beaver.

From what I am hearing, Bluefield faithful seem to be a little worried this year, no line, qb is young and cracked a little under pressure at PC, and secondary is week. If graham beats bluefield, and with every day that seems to becoming more and more likely, then the beavers will possibly go 6-4 maybe 5-5. 2 losses to charlotte schools, loss to graham, princeton, and gate city. could be a long year for beaver.

I'm not saying that Graham will beat Bluefield....but I am saying that it should be a much more competitive game this year. The past couple of seasons, Bluefied could've named the score. They'll have to earn their victory this year. I'll be interested to see what Graham comes out and does on offense and defense. Should be a fun game to watch, win or lose for GHS.

If Bluefield loses to Graham, they may be staring 1-8 dead in the eyes...

Heard Princeton beat Nitro 42-7 in their scrimmage...