toughest team in swva

UNIONFAN

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that George Wythe is getting alot of early praise as being the toughest team in southwest Va, but are they that good or is it a "one year" thing?

GW is tough year in and year out but this years team could be the perfect storm......Program wise they are not on the same level at Richlands or GC but they are NASTY this season

GW is tough year in and year out but this years team could be the perfect storm......Program wise they are not on the same level at Richlands or GC but they are NASTY this season

Program wise they are definitely on the level of Richlands and Gate City. If Reg IV, Div 3 and Reg D, Div 2 had the amount of competition that Reg C, Div 2 has had, you could draw a more equal comparison. All three programs are by far the winningest in the area. George Wythe, Richlands, and Gate City are the only three SWVA schools to win 100 games from 1999-2010.

JI Burton and Giles are close.

Did a little digging to actually find the winningest teams 1999-2010 on VHSL-Reference.

Excluding 2011.

And considering that VHSL-Reference doesn't have all the games against out of state teams.

1) Gate City 117

2) Richlands 110

3) George Wythe 102

4) JI Burton 99

5) Giles 99

6) Clintwood 92

7) Powell Valley 91

8) Floyd County 90

9) Honaker 89

10) Radford 89

11) Chilhowie 86

12) Lebanon 85

Program wise they are definitely on the level of Richlands and Gate City. If Reg IV, Div 3 and Reg D, Div 2 had the amount of competition that Reg C, Div 2 has had, you could draw a more equal comparison. All three programs are by far the winningest in the area. George Wythe, Richlands, and Gate City are the only three SWVA schools to win 100 games from 1999-2010.

JI Burton and Giles are close.

GW is tough I would love to see a true matchup of them vs Richlands. Their line is big and opens up holes. Their defense penetrates the o-line with speed. Their secondary has size to it as well. After their second string went in, they were just as big.

All I can say is that they are for real this year for sure and I think they will have a great season and probably a few to follow.

I understand that George Wythe is getting alot of early praise as being the toughest team in southwest Va, but are they that good or is it a "one year" thing?

That's what happens when you don't make it out of Region play for a long time, you lose touch with who is good on a regular basis...

Just a note - from 1994 thru 1998 (the five seasons immediately preceeding the years you selected) Powell Valley won an amazing number of games (63) and 4 VHSL titles. It seems that the teams on your list of toughest programs may mostly be a function of time period selected. In addition, you can't have a legitimte list of our regions toughest highschool football programs excluding the Appalachia Bulldogs - winners of 6 VHSL titles - and including a couple of teams that have never won a title.

Just a note - from 1994 thru 1998 (the five seasons immediately preceeding the years you selected) Powell Valley won an amazing number of games (63) and 4 VHSL titles. It seems that the teams on your list of toughest programs may mostly be a function of time period selected. In addition, you can't have a legitimte list of our regions toughest highschool football programs excluding the Appalachia Bulldogs - winners of 6 VHSL titles - and including a couple of teams that have never won a title.

1994-1998...most of the kids on this years team weren't even in school during that time...

agree that toughest teams can be decide by dates. if you go back even further you would have to consider graham highschool among some of the toughest teams in swva. and until the loss of coach carlock and the then hire doug marrs to succede him ghs was a tough team to play home and away. but when marrs took over that went out the window with the bath water. but take note i feel ghs is on its way back to being a tough team in swva.

I didn't "select" those years. Those are just the only ones with information made available on the source I listed.

If you found records for all of those teams back to 1980, very little would change. The point being, George Wythe is among the elite programs in our area and have been for over a decade. From 1999 until 2010, that list is in-arguably the best we have to offer and all of those teams are still relevant today.

Edited by deuceswild

WOW i stirred up a hornet's nest on this one. GW from what ive been hereing is tough, I just know i havent heard much on them in the past couple of years like I used to. I hope they do good this season and bring a state championship to southwest va. That is what matters to me! I love seeing teams from down this way win and prove that these ole country boys down here can play some good ball. Again i appologize if I made anyone angry, just wondering if GW is going to be a dynasty team (such as mid 90's Powell Valley and Appy or Richlands here in the past 10 years) or if it was just a one year deal. I hope they are a dynasty and send kids on to college to play the game we love so well

WOW i stirred up a hornet's nest on this one. GW from what ive been hereing is tough, I just know i havent heard much on them in the past couple of years like I used to. I hope they do good this season and bring a state championship to southwest va. That is what matters to me! I love seeing teams from down this way win and prove that these ole country boys down here can play some good ball. Again i appologize if I made anyone angry, just wondering if GW is going to be a dynasty team (such as mid 90's Powell Valley and Appy or Richlands here in the past 10 years) or if it was just a one year deal. I hope they are a dynasty and send kids on to college to play the game we love so well

Its all good brother. I was bored anyway.

I personally think George Wythe is probably the best team. I know I'm showing my Hogoheegee bias here but I did hear they took it to Richlands in a scrimmage.

I don't think I would say that they took it to Richlands. I was there and GW did out score them by I think it was 3 scores to 2. But you really can't go by a controlled scrimmage. Especially with Mance. He never shows anything at a scrimmage and after losing as many starters as they did last year, he was mostly seeing who could play where. But I'm sure that GW didn't show all that they had either. I would love to see them play in the regular season with both teams healthy, it would be a great game !

But, I would have to say that GW is the best team I have seen so far this year and think they have a very good chance to go all the way and win a state championship and hope they do !

They have a great program and have a very good & passionate fan base !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

I personally think George Wythe is probably the best team. I know I'm showing my Hogoheegee bias here but I did hear they took it to Richlands in a scrimmage.

If you're going by scrimmiges then keep in mind that Wythe tied Virginia High 7-7 in one a few weeks ago

I didn't "select" those years. Those are just the only ones with information made available on the source I listed.

If you found records for all of those teams back to 1980, very little would change. The point being, George Wythe is among the elite programs in our area and have been for over a decade. From 1999 until 2010, that list is in-arguably the best we have to offer and all of those teams are still relevant today.

I agree....and region C D-2 is very tough with a lot of talented teams. Can't say the same for Region IV D-3...

Did a little digging to actually find the winningest teams 1999-2010 on VHSL-Reference.

Excluding 2011.

And considering that VHSL-Reference doesn't have all the games against out of state teams.

1) Gate City 117

2) Richlands 110

3) George Wythe 102

4) JI Burton 99

5) Giles 99

6) Clintwood 92

7) Powell Valley 91

8) Floyd County 90

9) Honaker 89

10) Radford 89

11) Chilhowie 86

12) Lebanon 85

Giles, Radford and Floyd are in the same district and beat up on each other each year....pretty impressive that they're on this list.

toughest team in SWVA has to be the Falcons of Abingdon...they take a beating year after year and come back for more....and talk a lot of smack.

haha... those little one winged bastards do keep coming back for more :p

Giles, Radford and Floyd are in the same district and beat up on each other each year....pretty impressive that they're on this list.

first off....i will not crown GW the toughest in swva. too much bias in the blood on my end lol

secondly, i did wanna say that i agree w/ futbolking that the big three in the three rivers has had impressive numbers over the course of the time frame we are discussing. i think their non-district schedules over that time should also be noted.

and last, i will flex my bias a tad lol. in the latter part of the decade, GW has played a non-district schedule consisting of giles, radford, floyd, and a very good fort chiswell team, who the last two years have had quite a nice run. most of the decade, we've also dealt with chilhowie, lebanon, a non-district game in radford, and a rural retreat squad who won 4 (i think) region c d1 championships. not to mention a few playoff games to boot.

i'm not saying the best team in swva has always been in region c. lord knows gate city, powell valley, clintwood, honaker, burton, among others have had plenty say in that, and richlands' track record speaks for itself. i will say that as a whole, region c (division 2 particularly) has fielded deeper competition. i've seen far too many times an 8-2 squad not make the playoffs in this area. that taken into consideration, i think lebanon and chilhowie needs a bone thrown their way as well.

i must admit....it's an honor to be put into the same class as programs like gate city and richlands. i was completely unaware of that win total over the last 10 years. i was just talking recently about how nice it is to have successful seasons, but that sustainability is the toughest part. how whenever you think of high school football in swva you think of the gate citys, richlands, radfords, giles, etc. it's a culture. it's very hard to achieve. very flattering and humbling to know that what's been going on here in wytheville is working, and that we have the privilage to belong.

also want to say thank you for some of you fans who have commented that you want to see us make a run. no to worry....when it all filters down to the final few, we are all swva fans.

random shout out to some of you fellers on the old LPD forum! seen some screen names i haven't seen in QUITE a while! i lost track of that site as well as the cumberland site over the years lol