Richlands progression this season

HB Burke

At the start of the season i did not think Richlands would be that good. George Wythe wore them out in preseason at Bluefield and then Union took them to the wire. However as the season and moved on I see players growing, working together and becoming a team. They have improved more than any team at RHS during the season that i can recall. This team will go far in the playoffs, not sure how far but they will give anyone they face a run for the money.

At the start of the season i did not think Richlands would be that good. George Wythe wore them out in preseason at Bluefield and then Union took them to the wire. However as the season and moved on I see players growing, working together and becoming a team. They have improved more than any team at RHS during the season that i can recall. This team will go far in the playoffs, not sure how far but they will give anyone they face a run for the money.

Just a note, and I am not trying to flame here.....but the reason they seem to be coming together is that every team on your schedule is down this year. Except for Honaker, and they lost to JSB the other night. When you guys get a test lets see how you respond but it won't be until at least game number 12. That being said, good luck to you guys.

The reason this year is tough on the Blues isn't the opponents, its themselves. It is really hard to look and lackluster opponents week in and week out and not get ready. The staff at Richlands has always done a great job at keeping players focusted on the week ahead and not looking down the road. "Get better everyday" has been Mance's motto for as long as I can remember. None of us are going to know how good this team honestly is until the playoffs.

The reason this year is tough on the Blues isn't the opponents, its themselves. It is really hard to look and lackluster opponents week in and week out and not get ready. The staff at Richlands has always done a great job at keeping players focusted on the week ahead and not looking down the road. "Get better everyday" has been Mance's motto for as long as I can remember. None of us are going to know how good this team honestly is until the playoffs.

very true...kinda what I was getting at in the other thread where people got their panties in a wad.

The staff at Richlands has always done a great job at keeping players focusted on the week ahead and not looking down the road. "Get better everyday" has been Mance's motto for as long as I can remember. None of us are going to know how good this team honestly is until the playoffs.

^^^^^^

I agree that Richlands has gottton better this year as the games and scores show. I have only seen a couple of games this year as I battle a personal health issue. I just hope that Mance has helped this team grow in character and not be so penallized like the last few years. The stupid penalties we had the last few years have cost us at least one championship maybe two. I am not saying some of the calls in the final game were not questionable but the penalties we had over the entire year show a pattern which reflected on our team as we entered the playoffs. I just hope that our pattern entering the playoffs this year is not that of an undisciplined team. The refs tend to call the games sometimes based on you're reputation. Discipline is the easiest thing to teach a team but we seem to miss that most years and thats with as good a coach and staff as we have (probably the best in this end of the State). Just my opinion.

It starts out with close call going against Richlands, then the crowd lets the ref have it. Thats how it gets started, from then on the crowd stays on that ref and he seems to make sure every call he makes is against Richlands. I see that first close call that the ref usually calls right and I wish the Richlands crowd would just accept it because I know what that ref is going to do the rest of the game. The refs always come into a game with good intentions, but after a bunch in the stands gets on them what could you expect?

It starts out with close call going against Richlands, then the crowd lets the ref have it. Thats how it gets started, from then on the crowd stays on that ref and he seems to make sure every call he makes is against Richlands. I see that first close call that the ref usually calls right and I wish the Richlands crowd would just accept it because I know what that ref is going to do the rest of the game. The refs always come into a game with good intentions, but after a bunch in the stands gets on them what could you expect?

Reminds me of the susposed whisle at the Cave game couple years ago. I believe your very close to right, although the Refs should consider only what is happening on the field, the fans need to bite their lip. Spread the word, instead of fussing at the refs lets cheer a little louder for our guys.

Then those officials do not need to be on a football field. Their only job is to be impartial. The fans are part of the environment. By being impartial, they help to control that environment. I would agree to a certain point. Some officials do get caught up in the heat of the environment. Others just call what they see. Last season specifically, there were a lot of penalties called, because there were alot of penalties committed.

Guest king kone
Then those officials do not need to be on a football field. Their only job is to be impartial. The fans are part of the environment. By being impartial, they help to control that environment. I would agree to a certain point. Some officials do get caught up in the heat of the environment. Others just call what they see. Last season specifically, there were a lot of penalties called, because there were alot of penalties committed.

This year the ref with the smirk on his face at Honaker stands out........

I think everyone is overlooking something very important in how Richlands is playing now vs. at the beginning of the season...

Richlands has an extremely talented player who finally realized he could dominate at this level and has been playing that part for the last several games...

I think everyone is overlooking something very important in how Richlands is playing now vs. at the beginning of the season...

Richlands has an extremely talented player who finally realized he could dominate at this level and has been playing that part for the last several games...

nailed_it_RE_20th_Century_fox_theme_on_flute-s240x320-227191.jpg

Nailed it !

Bingo! He's also 100% healthy for the first time since he has been playing. Devon made an interesting comment in a radio interview after a game a few weeks ago. He said he had been tip-toeing instead of going full speed. He went full speed against Marion, Carroll and Abingdon and no one could stop him.

Edited by blueinbama

I really think, with a few exceptions, that once the VHSL football playoffs wind down to the final 2, 3, or 4 teams in a classification each season, those teams that are left have the raw materials to win a championship. Teams that don't have those raw materials have usually been weeded out by that time. So it is very often that the "intangibles" decide the semi-finals/title games. So I do agree that some of these issues that Richlands fans are discussing are important and have made a difference in the number of state championships the Blues have brought back. I thought for sure last year's Blue Tornados would be Divison 3 champions - they had all the raw materials.

As I said earlier, the way our team plays and gets penalized so much throughout the season had a lot to do with us loosing last year in the finals. Just my opinion. I think we should really focus on being a much less penalized team from now on. The coaches need to really get this across to out team during the year and we will be much more effective when we get to the playoofs. No dobt that Devon is special and he will go as far in football as his work ethic will take him. He can play on sundays if he puts the work into it and into the classroom. I hope he is a hard worker for his sake.

As I said earlier, the way our team plays and gets penalized so much throughout the season had a lot to do with us loosing last year in the finals. Just my opinion. I think we should really focus on being a much less penalized team from now on. The coaches need to really get this across to out team during the year and we will be much more effective when we get to the playoofs. No dobt that Devon is special and he will go as far in football as his work ethic will take him. He can play on sundays if he puts the work into it and into the classroom. I hope he is a hard worker for his sake.

Playoofs?

Playoofs?

Playoofs...loosing...forget it, he's rooling....