Change is coming

battleftbl

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't blame the messenger....lol

not at all...just saying...doesn't make sense...i think Grundy was 4 or 5 kids over the limit to go to D2...they have the largest freshman class in years...not sure that will continue.

not at all...just saying...doesn't make sense...i think Grundy was 4 or 5 kids over the limit to go to D2...they have the largest freshman class in years...not sure that will continue.

I agree it seems a little odd to try that with schools enrollment constantly changing. But I am excited to see where all of this goes.

I agree it seems a little odd to try that with schools enrollment constantly changing. But I am excited to see where all of this goes.

my guess is "not far" once the lawyers get involved.

They are wanting to make districts all in the same divison. Grundy is the only D1 school in the BDD. Therefor, they would have to leave. Just what I'm hearing anyways.

Ok wait a sec .... I think I'm confused... Grundy is the only D2 school in BDD, they aren't D1 right? Just clarifying ...Question is will they be D1 (<474) when they realign for 2013? Don't they do this every 2 years?? Sorry if I've missed somethin along the way on this one, I dont wanna repeat stuff.

So if Grundy is under the cut by then, they could stay in the BDD with all the other D1 schools ... np until Haysi is no more then BDD is back to 4 football schools and 5 in all other sports...

I agree that it is unrealistic to try to set up the districts along divisional lines but it does make sense to me to try to get the larger schools in 2 districts and the smaller schools in 2 districts but there will have to be some exceptions made. Lee for instance has no business in the Cumberland simply because they are 2x the size of the other teams.

I think Grundy will stay in the BDD, it makes the most sense in terms of travel and they fit well.

Honaker may leave for the CMD/SWD but I dont see it happening.

The Dickenson Co schools will stay put until consolidation and then join the LPD.

I imagine Graham will stay put also.

Tazewell would work well in the CMD/SWD or the MED w/ Graham

Marion fits best in the Hogo but wouldnt be out of place in the CMD/SWD. I think they go to the Hogo.

I agree that it is unrealistic to try to set up the districts along divisional lines but it does make sense to me to try to get the larger schools in 2 districts and the smaller schools in 2 districts but there will have to be some exceptions made. Lee for instance has no business in the Cumberland simply because they are 2x the size of the other teams.

I think Grundy will stay in the BDD, it makes the most sense in terms of travel and they fit well.

Honaker may leave for the CMD/SWD but I dont see it happening.

The Dickenson Co schools will stay put until consolidation and then join the LPD.

I imagine Graham will stay put also.

Tazewell would work well in the CMD/SWD or the MED w/ Graham

Marion fits best in the Hogo but wouldnt be out of place in the CMD/SWD. I think they go to the Hogo.

I think Grundy come to CMD.

Honaker stays put in BDD.

Graham stays put in MED.

Tazewell County School Board will NOT allow Tazewell to go anywhere that Richlands does not go. So Tazewell to CMD.

Marion is easily fit in the HOGO.

As said before. The lone loser in all of this will be Abingdon.

So nothing changes in abingdon? lol, I had to.

No really that does suck for the Falcons but there really isint an option unless they are allowed to play down in the CMD/SWD. Which I dont think any of the CMD/SWD schools would have a problem w/ that. They would still bbe a AA school and IF the A playoff format is adopted by the higher divisions later on a "weak" (points wise) mostly A schedule wouldnt hurt them that much.

Carroll County will be hurt by this as well but not as badly as Abingdon. Carroll would have to decide whether to go east to the Piedmont District or north to the River Ridge District. In my opinion though, I don't see VHSL allowing Marion to move to group A. The listed enrollment for Marion is 821 on here.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-adoptedplan-09-11.pdf

On a side note, VHSL.org has the minutes posted for the latest realignment and reclassification committee meeting. In the minutes, a straw vote was taken on moving to a four classification system.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-minutes-2011-september.pdf

It would be nice to rename that league the Southwest District, considering that all those those teams (except Honaker, if memory serves me well) at one time were part of the SWD. It would be sacrilege for Graham to be left out of it, though, IMHO.

I would think that Graham would have a place at the table. Just a question of whether or not they'd want it. From a purely selfish perspective, I'd love to keep the core of the old SWD together to the greatest extent possible. But it's not hard for me to believe that travel in the MED might be a lot easier for Graham, so I wouldn't hold it against their administrators if they choose to stick with what they've got.

I think Grundy come to CMD.

Tazewell County School Board will NOT allow Tazewell to go anywhere that Richlands does

Are Tazewell and Richlands still tied together? I was under the impression that Grundy's move to the BDD and Graham's to the MED meant that the individual county schools were pretty much free to pursue their own interests.

Abingdon would be pretty well hosed, but Washington County could address that issue (to at least some extent) by redrawing attendance lines and sending more kids out to Holston, PH, and Battle.

Are Tazewell and Richlands still tied together? I was under the impression that Grundy's move to the BDD and Graham's to the MED meant that the individual county schools were pretty much free to pursue their own interests.

I've always heard that Tazewell and Richlands are bound together. With Grundy in a different county there was no tie there other than the SWD. I don't know about Graham. But from what I've always heard, wherever Richlands goes, Tazewell goes, and vice versa.

I've always heard that Tazewell and Richlands are bound together. With Grundy in a different county there was no tie there other than the SWD. I don't know about Graham. But from what I've always heard, wherever Richlands goes, Tazewell goes, and vice versa.

Actually, the informal policy was developed by the late Frank Cosby (Superintendent in Tazewell County from about 1985 to 1991), and it was all about Grundy and the Highlands/SWD split.

When the old SWD split in the mid 1980's, Graham's administration made some noise then about bolting to the MED. One of their biggest complaints (legitimate then and now) was travel for sports, and the embodiment of their objection was Grundy. At that time, Grundy had much larger numbers -- very solidly Group AA -- which made them very isolated geographically (even more so than Carroll County's current situation). The Golden Wave had a hard time finding opponents in the first years of the Highland/SWD split, and Cosby was sympathetic to their plight. So much so that he issued an edict of sorts that the three AA schools in Tazewell County would remain in the same district as Grundy for as long as Grundy played in Group AA.

Grundy's drop to the BDD in the current cycle effectively negated that arrangement, and Graham made good on its longstanding plan to move to the MED.

Long story short.... Tazewell and Richlands are not bound together in any way.

Actually, the informal policy was developed by the late Frank Cosby (Superintendent in Tazewell County from about 1985 to 1991), and it was all about Grundy and the Highlands/SWD split.

When the old SWD split in the mid 1980's, Graham's administration made some noise then about bolting to the MED. One of their biggest complaints (legitimate then and now) was travel for sports, and the embodiment of their objection was Grundy. At that time, Grundy had much larger numbers -- very solidly Group AA -- which made them very isolated geographically (even more so than Carroll County's current situation). The Golden Wave had a hard time finding opponents in the first years of the Highland/SWD split, and Cosby was sympathetic to their plight. So much so that he issued an edict of sorts that the three AA schools in Tazewell County would remain in the same district as Grundy for as long as Grundy played in Group AA.

Grundy's drop to the BDD in the current cycle effectively negated that arrangement, and Graham made good on its longstanding plan to move to the MED.

Long story short.... Tazewell and Richlands are not bound together in any way.

Ah. So the question is would Tazewell want to go to the MED or the CMD??

Washington County could address that issue (to at least some extent) by redrawing attendance lines and sending more kids out to Holston, PH, and Battle.

While I think that would be a really good idea, I don't think it would ever in a million years happen. I think we're about the only county in the area that hasn't had to worry about consolidation, closings, or anything like that, so they wouldn't want to mess with anything and Abingdon would never give up ground.

While I think that would be a really good idea, I don't think it would ever in a million years happen. I think we're about the only county in the area that hasn't had to worry about consolidation, closings, or anything like that, so they wouldn't want to mess with anything and Abingdon would never give up ground.

Given your local perspective, I'm sure your read of the politics is correct. Ultimately, there will be a tangible cost associated with Abingdon's relative isolation as a Group AA level school that will have to be addressed in some fashion.

How are the lines drawn in Washington Co? What I mean is does Abingdon HS draw exclusively from the Town limits of Abingdon or also outside of them? If the lines are well outside of Abingdon then I dont see why redrawing them would be such a big deal, I know the local inhabitants wouldnt really like it but it wouldnt be a bad move for the county if possible. Battle, PH and Holston would get a little bigger and Abingdon would be able to continue to play local opponents.

When you start adding up the cost of travel to River Ridge schools that is a very large figure and I know the VHSL has final say but would the RR schools even want Abingdon due to travel concerns?

an LPD w/ GC, Lee, Union, Central, Eastside and Dickenson Co would be pretty solid in all sports and damn good in football!

thats almost a state championship guaranteed in the LPD in at least something ever year. hahaha god man that would be a nasty conference. SEC of the VHSL.

How are the lines drawn in Washington Co? What I mean is does Abingdon HS draw exclusively from the Town limits of Abingdon or also outside of them? If the lines are well outside of Abingdon then I dont see why redrawing them would be such a big deal, I know the local inhabitants wouldnt really like it but it wouldnt be a bad move for the county if possible. Battle, PH and Holston would get a little bigger and Abingdon would be able to continue to play local opponents.

When you start adding up the cost of travel to River Ridge schools that is a very large figure and I know the VHSL has final say but would the RR schools even want Abingdon due to travel concerns?

Without knowing for certain, I would guess that Abingdon High School draws primarily from within Town limits. This would require putting kids on a bus which would most definitely trigger a political uproar. This would also probably increase transportation costs on a daily basis, although my theory is that the travel costs for athletes to district games in the New River Valley would probably outweigh the local costs at some point.

If Marion and Abingdon stay in AA then they should put Lee in with them and reform the Highlands....Lee has been given a pass to play down for a long time...that could end.

Carroll would then need to figure out if it wants to make the trip to Lee or not and would probably go to the Piedmont where they belong anyway.

Anyone else left in AA that could be put in the Highlands? Or...if the VHSL has the balls, you could maybe see the long rumored "I-81" district and bridge the gap up to Roanoke...but, then those teams would throw a fit I'm sure...so doubt it will ever happen...fun to discuss though.

Abingdon draws a good ways into the county away from the town limits. Too much politics in the county seat to let the other schools have students. All the money in WC is mainly in the Abingdon town limits. In Va High's situation, due to VA's crazy annexation laws, city's can't really grow. Bristol, VA would have already taken much of the JSB boundry if it were possible. 65% or more of JSB students live within, less than five miles, of the city of Bristol or the state of TN.