Change is coming

battleftbl

In 2013 the Clinch Mountain District will be Richlands, Grundy, Virginia High, Lebanon, John Battle. Tazewell could possibly be joining also. Lee High will be in the LPD and Gate City looks to be heading that way also, but could change. Me personally, I'm hoping to keep Gate City and have a rebuilt Tazewell team join. Our district could be very strong every season.

Marion will be joining the Hogo and will leave Abingdon driving 3 and 4 hours for district games every friday night. They have stated that they will not apply for a hardship due to travel. Looks like they're going to be making some very long road trips for district games.

Just wanted to be the first to give you all a very early welcome to the CMD. These changes should go into place for the 2013 football season.

Edited by battleftbl

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2013 the Clinch Mountain District will be Richlands, Grundy, Virginia High, Lebanon, John Battle. Tazewell could possibly be joining also. Lee High will be in the LPD and Gate City looks to be heading that way also, but isnt official yet.

Me personally, I'm hoping to keep Gate City and have a rebuilt Tazewell team join. Our district could be very strong every season.

Marion will be joining the Hogo and will leave Abingdon driving 3 and 4 hours for district games every friday night. They have stated that they will not apply for a hardship due to travel. Looks like they're going to be making some very long road trips for district games.

Just wanted to be the first to give you all a very early welcome to the CMD. These changes will go into place for the 2013 football season.

If true would Burton and Clintwood stay in the LPD or move?

No link for it as it's not been released to the public. I just thought I'd give you guys something to talk about in the early part of the week.

Im guessing that Clintwood will stay in the LPD and will continue to stay there once consolidated. Burton is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. The option to combine with the Wise County schools is still there, but if not, they'll have to choose between the cumberland and black diamond. I dont think the Cumberland teams will be to excited though

Again though, I'm not really sure about Clintwood and Burton..... thats just my opinion

This was from the Regional meeting...lots of talk and discussion, but this is the plan as of now...nothing set in stone and lots of things could change...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Honaker in the CMD mix before all is said and done...with the other three BDD schools (Hurley, Twin Valley, Council...considering Haysi in the Dickenson Co. consolidation) taking refuge in the CD.

I know that there has been a movment that would make the districts Div1 or Div2 only (This sort of sounds like this IF Cwood and Burton droped out of the LPD (CWood/Haysi/Erv would rejoin in 2015 when the DC High opens))

In 2013 the Clinch Mountain District will be Richlands, Grundy, Virginia High, Lebanon, John Battle. Tazewell could possibly be joining also. Lee High will be in the LPD and Gate City looks to be heading that way also, but could change. Me personally, I'm hoping to keep Gate City and have a rebuilt Tazewell team join. Our district could be very strong every season.

That's a pretty decent lineup, IMO.

Given the heritage of all of the schools involved, is there any chance that the league could carry the Southwest District name? Or does that matter much to anyone?

That's a pretty decent lineup, IMO.

Given the heritage of all of the schools involved, is there any chance that the league could carry the Southwest District name? Or does that matter much to anyone?

It would be nice to rename that league the Southwest District, considering that all those those teams (except Honaker, if memory serves me well) at one time were part of the SWD. It would be sacrilege for Graham to be left out of it, though, IMHO.

No doubt there will be realignment- but it will probably follow a divisional breakdown- nothing else would make sense. With the loss of three schools and the addition of only two more- I would think the VHSL might look at Marion in Region D. I recall that one of the reasons for Battle moving from C to D was to balance the number of schools.

Why is everyone taling about districts? No disrespect but with the football playoff format the district is obsolete. Any team could schedule 10 games and if successful enough would have a good seeding in the playoffs. Abingdon for example instead of traveling to Roanoke could play A very competitive schedule including Richlands, Marion, Lee, Tazewell and add a couple of AA teams like Pulaski and Carroll County and still have a good playoff chance if they were to win. Take a team like Northwood could drop GW, Chilhowie and pick up some teams that would make them competitve and win games and go to the playoffs. The VHSL may want to think about that as they make moves. Not saying I agree but there are other kinds of changes coming too.

Why is everyone taling about districts? No disrespect but with the football playoff format the district is obsolete. Any team could schedule 10 games and if successful enough would have a good seeding in the playoffs. Abingdon for example instead of traveling to Roanoke could play A very competitive schedule including Richlands, Marion, Lee, Tazewell and add a couple of AA teams like Pulaski and Carroll County and still have a good playoff chance if they were to win. Take a team like Northwood could drop GW, Chilhowie and pick up some teams that would make them competitve and win games and go to the playoffs. The VHSL may want to think about that as they make moves. Not saying I agree but there are other kinds of changes coming too.

Districts are irrelevant for seeding purposes, but not for "pride" and "we want to play these guys every year" purposes. That's why.

Why is everyone taling about districts? No disrespect but with the football playoff format the district is obsolete. Any team could schedule 10 games and if successful enough would have a good seeding in the playoffs.

Let's ask Bluefield how easy it is to schedule 10 games. Grundy is in a district and barley got 10. Districts are important imho.

Why is everyone taling about districts? No disrespect but with the football playoff format the district is obsolete. Any team could schedule 10 games and if successful enough would have a good seeding in the playoffs.

Let's ask Bluefield how easy it is to schedule 10 games. Grundy is in a district and barley got 10. Districts are important imho.

+1

I don't see Grundy ever going to the same district as Lee unless they are forced (if thats ever on the table)....just my opinion.

As for the rest of it...Grundy sits in the middle of the BDD, not sure why they would break that up.

I don't see Grundy ever going to the same district as Lee unless they are forced (if thats ever on the table)....just my opinion.

As for the rest of it...Grundy sits in the middle of the BDD, not sure why they would break that up.

They are wanting to make districts all in the same divison. Grundy is the only D1 school in the BDD. Therefor, they would have to leave. Just what I'm hearing anyways.

In 2013 the Clinch Mountain District will be Richlands, Grundy, Virginia High, Lebanon, John Battle. Tazewell could possibly be joining also.

That would be pretty awesome. I kinda wish GC and maybe Lee would still be in it though.

They are wanting to make districts all in the same divison. Grundy is the only D1 school in the BDD. Therefor, they would have to leave. Just what I'm hearing anyways.

thats dumb.

Depending on what the cut point is...you have several schools that would possibly change districts every 2 year cycle if they do that.

Exactly. TRYING to make a District of all-1-Div. teams works when they're all big or all small. Throwing a bubble school like Grundy in gives you a 50-50 chance of having major egg on your face when you coulda just left things alome and NOT embarrassed yourself. And on the Region level, there's gonna be more than just 1 bubble school. They tried it in NoVa a few years ago, and it does NOT work.

Whoever made the district comment, that faux-coach, obviously is clueless. Districts "still exist" for, what, 15 other sports? Gotta fill up ALL those schedules, too, and pretty much all of'em are more than just 10 games.

Grundy is already "in" the CMD for wrestling, and if Clintwood is so opposed to travelling 83 to Grundy, why bother going into the LPD, when we've got all of our old rivals in the CMD? Then we could play the local BDD''s as non-district schedule-fillers, and they could do likewise.