Deer Hunting.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting the car unlocked, went to check on my camera and stand and sat till dark. Found this bad boy on there - one of 2 new bucks I have yet to see (Camera has been out since Sept.).

No Mr. Iowa though, the buck I posted earlier.

Nice one man, looks like a nice 8 or maybe 10 pointer! Have you noticed how big the does are this year? So much for them to eat in the woods that they are not having to move around much!

Best of luck to everyone hunting tomorrow. By the judge of my drive home, deer are active tonight.

Active deer at night = slow deer action during the day. That's why deer activity was awful last year (combined with plentiful mast drop)...full moon, clear skies, bright nights, deers moving around between sun down and sun up. We need some dark, overcast nights to get the deer active during daylight hours. Monday should be a good day for deer activity, looking at the weather forecast.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Nice one man, looks like a nice 8 or maybe 10 pointer! Have you noticed how big the does are this year? So much for them to eat in the woods that they are not having to move around much!

Both deer I have posted are the biggest that would be taken off our land in the 20 years we have hunted it, if they go down. I think the bucks are huge as well, and I have seen some big big does.

A buddy of mine has one out behind his house that he calls Ms. Chick-fil-a because she looks so much like a cow.

However, I have not seen that many acorns on the ground, but I think it is more of last year having an easier winter (the snow didn't melted quickly even though we got multiple inches) and that the mast was the best - maybe - ever.

Been here in the stand for about 30 minutes...it dark and drizzly. Spooked two deer in the upper field driving in and a third, a buck who snorted at me before dashing over the ridge, on my walk to the stand. I can here movement in the wet leaves as I type this. Going to be a good day.

After getting the car unlocked, went to check on my camera and stand and sat till dark. Found this bad boy on there - one of 2 new bucks I have yet to see (Camera has been out since Sept.).

Nice buck. I've noticed, on my cameras, that this is the time of year for "strangers" to show up.

going in the woods in the morning deer hunting has been slow in smyth county for me hunted all bow and muzzleloading season only killed a doe with my bow hope it gets better seen a nice 6 pointer chasing a doe as i left my stand yesterday evening

Most exciting/disheartening moment of my life: I was on my way to my spot this morning, and literally as I arrived and was getting situated, one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen personally stumbles right up to about 20 yards away from me. I didn't see it, it didn't see me. We scared the shit out of each other and off he ran.

This thing was AT LEAST an 8 point and was built like a horse. I looked up just in time to see it snort at me and sprint off through the trees. Never even had a chance to lift my gun off my shoulder.

Other than the one that got away, I heard them moving all morning, just never saw any.

I used to hunt. But I've found that I just don't have the patience required. Maybe if I had a PSP or something to pass the hours of sitting in the cold.

Anyways, the only time I've ever had a chance at a deer, I watched a 12 point walk 30 yards in front of me up a hill. Watched him walk for over 300 yards, had the gun up and looking through the scope, and never pulled the trigger. I, to this day, have no idea why I didn't pull the trigger. I guess Buck Fever got the best of me.

I looked up just in time to see it snort at me and sprint off through the trees.

Snorting little bastards, aren't they??? The only thing that saved the one that snorted at me was darkness...

Snorting little bastards, aren't they??? The only thing that saved the one that snorted at me was darkness...

Haha, yeah they are. Like I said, I wasn't prepared in the least. I was literally moving, getting comfortable and ready to set up shop with the gun by my side. It seriously scared the hell out of me and we did a great job at scaring each other. No more than 25 yards away I promise.

If I was even halfway prepared when I saw him, right now I'd have a set of antlers getting ready to go up on the wall and you'd be invited over for a nice steak! :D

Guest StoneyCalhoun

My Padre smoked the second deer I posted earlier, a pretty nice 8.

A few hours later, a doe walks in front of my double treestand and my GF drills it. I might have been shaking more than her.

2 deer, one day. Not bad, but now that she got on the board, it is my turn. :)

Edited by StoneyCalhoun

Sitting here in my office on Rt. 460...saw movement in the parking lot through my window...look up in time to see a 6-pointer chasing two does through the lot toward the neighbors house. Obviously, the rut is still on for this guy...

Sitting here in my office on Rt. 460...saw movement in the parking lot through my window...look up in time to see a 6-pointer chasing two does through the lot toward the neighbors house. Obviously, the rut is still on for this guy...

Substitute myself as the 6-pointer, the 2 does for 2 (preferably more) ladies, and the bar for your parking lot and you'll have my plans for the weekend. The rut is on for this guy too...