Deer Hunting.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Here is what I have been after. Killed two does early in the season last year (both by Oct. 16th) so trying to put a nice buck on the ground, something I have yet to do in my few years hunting.

You guys think he has a "droptine" or not? I wouldn't really call it a droptine, but something hanging down or just some odd discoloration?

post-7808-137723138146_thumb.jpg

Here is what I have been after. Killed two does early in the season last year (both by Oct. 16th) so trying to put a nice buck on the ground, something I have yet to do in my few years hunting.

You guys think he has a "droptine" or not? I wouldn't really call it a droptine, but something hanging down or just some odd discoloration?

I'm not sure I kinda see it and I kinda don't lol. Great looking deer though.

Edited by rebel1

Nice looking buck. I agree, can't really tell.

All I know is, lots of deer (and a bear) have been seen at the in-laws farm over the last several weeks: a couple of 8-pointers and several 4/6-pointers (a couple of those are good size) and they've completely mowed down the food plots I set up this year.

This was the first time I've ever set up food plots (FIL had never done it either) and only did a couple of smaller ones (both around 2000/2500 sq. ft.) as a "test". "Test" passed. Both grew really well (lime and fertilizer before planting were key as well as a timely rain after planting) and I've found something they absolutely love to forage on. My FIL even mentioned that he thought we should do more, bigger ones next year. Can't do anything but help pull deer on to the property...and you can't hunt deer if there are no deer around.

I honestly think the start of rifle season is going to be starting at the right time and there should be some good deer movement into early next week. One thing is for sure, I saw a lot of deer movement yesterday on my drive home from work...I saw at least 20 deer in the fields between my office and Bluefield and saw five more this morning in the field beside Ramey's in Tazewell. Not sure if its the weather, the rut in full swing, or the stars are aligned just right but I haven't seen that many deer in one day all fall.

I'm looking forward to next Monday!

You going w/Stoney and/or heading over to Bland Co.???

I'd go with Stoney but he won't ever invite a player. He likes to keep his deer all to himself! :D

Planning on spending a couple days over in Bastian on my buddy's land...

I'd go with Stoney but he won't ever invite a player. He likes to keep his deer all to himself! :D

Good! Scare them all back over East River Mountain...:D...I'll be waiting...

Good! Scare them all back over East River Mountain...:D...I'll be waiting...

Dunno if you know this about me or not, but my nickname is the "Deer Whisperer"... they love me. Most fall dead before my shot even hits them! ;)

Ever been to Poor Valley?? Some idiot posted some National Forest lands there....

Guest StoneyCalhoun

LOL. I wish I had room for you. During bow season I have all the land to myself which is great. Come gun season, I become the low guy on the totem pole and all my scouting and stands goes to crap when the family comes in.

Come Black powder, when exams are over, I will get you out there.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
PSS...note to self, part II...snag a couple of game cameras too...

Go to Walmart RIGHT NOW. They have some for $35, Wildgame Innovations, S 1.3. My dad and I bought a 2 pack for 90 last year and they work REALLY WELL. No complaints out of either one.

The new ones at Walmart, for 35, have the video option as well. Our S1.3s do not, but other more expensive cams that we have that use video and we love it. Tells you so much more. I bet the S 1.3 takes even better video.

It is no coincidence that the first year with trail cams is the first year I have had with multiple kills (Bow, BP). In addition, last year was one of the hardest years to hunt.

Trail cams are the best scouting tool you can have, you now have eyes in the woods 24/7. They are revolutionizing hunting.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Nice looking buck. I agree, can't really tell.

It would be the biggest buck taken on our land, body wise and antler wise most likely. Never had a buck bigger than an 8, and usually the tines are short and thin. This dude is plain thick.

My grandfather saw him here recently, but only the right side. Looks like the only way to know what is on the left side is to put him on the ground.

Good luck everyone!

It would be the biggest buck taken on our land, body wise and antler wise most likely. Never had a buck bigger than an 8, and usually the tines are short and thin. This dude is plain thick.

My grandfather saw him here recently, but only the right side. Looks like the only way to know what is on the left side is to put him on the ground.

Good luck everyone!

Since my wife and I met in '94, my FIL has killed a 12-point and an 11-point at the farm. Haven't seen anything bigger than 8 in the last few years though...doesn't mean they aren't there, just means they haven't been seen...or shot...

He has both mounted and hanging on the wall in his den. I'll get pics the next time I go up there.

I about bagged a spike yesterday afternoon. And a doe. And a yearling...With my wifes car. Thank God for new brakes and rotors.

So, you noticed lots of deer activity yesterday, too...

I told myself I wouldn't post until next year, but I must say the cruelty of animals is something I am not going to sit here and remain silent. I think you guys are very cruel to kill an animal. Simply cruel!:mad:

I told myself I wouldn't post until next year, but I must say the cruelty of animals is something I am not going to sit here and remain silent. I think you guys are very cruel to kill an animal. Simply cruel!:mad:

yet your favorite teams mascot is a animal hmmmm.