Deer Hunting.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been hunting in over ten years. The last time I went, I was only a teenager. Recently, I have considered getting back into it, but I do not have a rifle. A friend of mine has offered to sell me a gun. It is a HOWA Model 1500 .308, with a scope, bi-pod, and case, for $250. I will attach a picture that he sent me. Do you all think this would make a good deer hunting rifle? If so, is this a fair price?

post-716-137723138152_thumb.jpg

I haven't been hunting in over ten years. The last time I went, I was only a teenager. Recently, I have considered getting back into it, but I do not have a rifle. A friend of mine has offered to sell me a gun. It is a HOWA Model 1500 .308, with a scope, bi-pod, and case, for $250. I will attach a picture that he sent me. Do you all think this would make a good deer hunting rifle? If so, is this a fair price?

I've been looking to pick up a rifle myself and have read alot about this rifle. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Doing some googling you will see this is essentially a Weatherby Vanguard rifle which also has rave reviews.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I were you.

I've been looking to pick up a rifle myself and have read alot about this rifle. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Doing some googling you will see this is essentially a Weatherby Vanguard rifle which also has rave reviews.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I were you.

Yeah, thats what I have read as well. They say it is the same action and barrel with a different stock. I'm about 95% sure that I will buy it. The price seemed really good to me, but I'm not that knowledgeable about guns.

Here is what I have been after. Killed two does early in the season last year (both by Oct. 16th) so trying to put a nice buck on the ground, something I have yet to do in my few years hunting.

You guys think he has a "droptine" or not? I wouldn't really call it a droptine, but something hanging down or just some odd discoloration?

Can't really tell by looking at that photo, but to me the one side of his rack only looks to have one point like a spike would... The other side (WOW) is all I can say, looks like it may be a drop tine, don't see many around here with them... I thinking you won't see that deer again nor will your camera!

So, you noticed lots of deer activity yesterday, too...

Dang right. I killed a doe with that car before the 30 day tags were out one night coming back from calling a game at Graham too a few years ago.

I don't actually deer hunt though, well intentionally. A 16 gauge, and some beagles chasing rabbits is more of my thing.

All I have seen in the woods is doe! There is so much food for them to eat in the woods this year they are not having to move around alot... The bear and coyotes are taking over the woods around here has one thing to do with it... They should being getting ready to start rutting if they haven't already... Let's hope so! This past Saturday I blew a few times on he grunt call and about 5 mins later I heard BOOM! There was a many sitting about 45 yards down and to the left of me that I had never seen, and this was about 11:30, he had shot a 4 pointer.... So the hippy killed my damn deer! lol

.308 is a good deer rifle, I don't know much about that HOWA brand but I have a remington .308 and I love it. I mostly hunt with a Remington 7600 .270 and it is perfect for deer hunting.

If you don't buy it for $250, I will...

Yes, very good price...

http://www.google.com/search?q=howa+model+1500+prices&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GCNV_en#q=howa+model+1500+prices&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GCNV_en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=DxzETvCKHoO2tgeEtuSvDQ&ved=0CCMQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=47145d74750179a5&biw=1024&bih=613

.308 is a good deer rifle, I don't know much about that HOWA brand but I have a remington .308 and I love it. I mostly hunt with a Remington 7600 .270 and it is perfect for deer hunting.

30-06...'nuff said...have a Browning X-bolt for hunting and a Savage 110 for range plinking. Both are extremely accurate rifles...makes the shooter look better than he actually is.

Actually would like to get a 7m-08, excellent ballistics and more than enough to handle anything that lives in this neck of the woods 'cept for maybe the biggest of the big bears...have my eye on a Browning A-bolt II right now...

Any reloaders on here???

No doubt a 30-06 is a GREAT gun I have a Savage 30-06 and I wouldn't take anything for it, I just hunt more with the .270 because it is lighter and where I hunt it is usually a good hike up mountain lol.

My Savage came with a flimsy plastic stock (not the AccuStock) and I switched it out for a Boyd's thumbhole laminate stock in Forest Camo (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Thumbhole-Replacement-Stocks-Savage-Stevens-s/36.htm). Drop in fit was perfect...two thumbs up for Boyd's. The wife says it looks stupid and doesn't even look like "real" rifle...don't care 'cause it feels/shoots great. I really like the AccuTrigger on the Savage too.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said about the savage rifle. The stock isn't made of much and the AccuTrigger is nothing short of amazing. I also believe the barrels on the Savage rifles are great as well. Really the only con to the savage rifle is the cheap-o stocks.

Seen 6 doe and 5 turkey today, was a good day to be in the woods, I think if I would have stayed a little longer for this evening I may have seen one with horns! I didn't see the doe and turkey till about 11:30 this morning....

Guest StoneyCalhoun

After getting the car unlocked, went to check on my camera and stand and sat till dark. Found this bad boy on there - one of 2 new bucks I have yet to see (Camera has been out since Sept.).

No Mr. Iowa though, the buck I posted earlier.

post-7808-137723138158_thumb.jpg