VHSL redistricting proposal

trublue

After thinking about it, I wonder if Lee might remain in the CMD simply for scheduling purposes.

Right now, they have four guaranteed CMD opponents (GC,Leb,VHS, JSB), with the LPD and Cumberland schools available for non-district games.

If they go to the LPD, those schools become district opponents and Lee would need to look to CMD schools for non-district games. There's a good possibility most of the CMD schools wouldn't play Lee, or have enough room to schedule them if they did want to play.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee's scheduling problems are solved if they stay in the CMD. They will have eight league games and will play Union and TW. A four or five team LPD does not help them at all. Gate receipts and playoff points are also factors. Travel is going to be a problem under any arrangement. Most of the travel complaints I heard were about the postseason when Lee dropped.

Most CMD teams can now fill a schedule at the drop of a hat. It will be interesting to see who keeps who for the non-district games. Gate City will have to drop two out of Sullivan South, Bluefield, Harlan County, or Union- all should be good gates. While Richlands will keep Graham- it will be curious to see who their other opponent wii be.

The new CMD would have most of the old SWD in terms of membership.

I may be in the minority on this one, and I know I keep harping on it, but I badly want Graham to be in that mix. Nothing against the MED, but those schools are our traditional rivals, and travel time is much better than some of the projections that would have us going to places like Floyd County.

Actually all of the proposed CMD members save Lee have been members of the SWD at one time or another.

I'd love to have Graham as part of the new district for sentimental reasons. (In fact, I'd personally swap Graham and Grundy for Gate City and Lee in heartbeat.) But I think that both GC and Lee will remain in the CMD alignment for reasons that other posters have discussed. With that in mind, the MED actually makes the most sense for GHS in terms of travel time. Guessing that the longest trip in the MED is to Grayson County, and that's about 70 miles (comprised mostly of interstate travel). Ben Hur is over 120 miles from Bluefield.

A 9-team league is about as close to ideal as it gets for scheduling (a guarantee of equal numbers of home and away district games with just enough non-district possibilities to allow ADs to get as creative as they'd like). I'll go out on something of a limb and submit that the CMD (as presently proposed) is going to be a keeper.

Lee may stay in the CMD for scheduling purposes but they would be a better fit in the LPD and I think thats where they will eventually end up. The trip from Lee to Tazewell is 2 1/2 hours and the trip from Lee to Marion is at least 2 hours.

I wonder how long until JI Burton tries to move to the Cumberland? When that happens then the districts will have to be shaken up(the LPD would only have 3 members). The VHSL may make the decision for GC and Lee.

If it was put to a vote what would the likelihood be of the schools dropping the name Clinch Mtn. and changing it to Southwest? I would imagine most of the schools would be in favor of the switch.

If it was put to a vote what would the likelihood be of the schools dropping the name Clinch Mtn. and changing it to Southwest? I would imagine most of the schools would be in favor of the switch.

Why would they do that? Clinch Mountain is an even more appropritate name with the addition of the four SWD refugees. If you draw a line from Tazewell to Marion, making a stop at each school, it will wrap around Clinch Mountain. Lee is the only one that strays from the line.

Why would they do that? Clinch Mountain is an even more appropritate name with the addition of the four SWD refugees. If you draw a line from Tazewell to Marion, making a stop at each school, it will wrap around Clinch Mountain. Lee is the only one that strays from the line.

I know that, but you guys seem to be in love with the name Southwest. Just a suggestion.

SWD or CMD both work very well

Edited by redtiger

I see no chance of Lee joining the LPD. Based on all I have heard the major problem right now is scheduling. Travel time is going to be rough in a few cases no matter what you do. The LPD simply does not offer enough teams or a stable situation. Why would you give up eight guaranteed games for four? Norton and Clintwood should have bailed out of the league- asked for reassignment. Situation is bad for Union and Wise- just like the Roanoke City schools they should have thought about some things. Lee could derive no major advantage from the LPD. Keeping the LPD alive is beating a dead horse.

At this point, unless some major changes are made, it really is pointless. Clintwood would be a good fit in the BDD and JI Burton would fit well in the Cumberland but the VHSL would have to place them there, the CD schools dont want JIB.

Wise Co planned on Eastside being much larger(most of the kids went to Castlewood) and moving into the LPD, they were alsoplanning on Ridgeview being completed sooner.

Whenever Ridgeview is completed there will be some more changes that will take place but between now and then who knows what will happen. Marion, Gate City and Lee could all move.

At this point, unless some major changes are made, it really is pointless. Clintwood would be a good fit in the BDD and JI Burton would fit well in the Cumberland but the VHSL would have to place them there, the CD schools dont want JIB.

Wise Co planned on Eastside being much larger(most of the kids went to Castlewood) and moving into the LPD, they were alsoplanning on Ridgeview being completed sooner.

Whenever Ridgeview is completed there will be some more changes that will take place but between now and then who knows what will happen. Marion, Gate City and Lee could all move.

JIB tried to join the CD a year or two ago but was turned down.

Burton would have to be assigned to the Cumberland by the VHSL. Don't think they would be voted in. When the Marion request to join the Hogo was not acted upon- they may have figured it was a bad time to try a move. The Cumberland also did not want Coeburn- as I best remember the VHSL assigned Coeburn to the Cumberland on appeal- guess they were able to pull some strings.

Jason loves the slop bucket, lol. Were you been havent heard a good slop bucket saying in a long time.

Been mostly reading but with all the excitement on redistricting I could not stay silent any longer.:D

Same here, I think this will be a good thing for all. I have been looking for this change to happen for the last few years.

RHS and GC back in the same district again makes the football rivalry more intense! Just hope the game is moved to later in the season now.