VHSL redistricting proposal

trublue

Last time I checked every team starts the season with the same record and the same opportunity, it's nice to know in all your wisdom tho that you can also see the future and tell that Richlands will have NO CHANCE of making it anywhere in the playoffs after realignment, it never surprises me to see the Anti Richlands Biased come out in you guys.

Now you're putting words in my mouth...I never said they have "No chance"....I said it won't be a cakewalk....offend easily?

I said "no more regional finals"....because regions won't exist.....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it wont be a cakewalk Futbolking, but then again it isnt supposed to be. I hope to see more competitive regular season games and better competition, which I think will happen once all this takes place.

the VHSL could make the BDD a larger district, not that it will really help it at all but they could add Ervinton and Castlewood which would probably make it Grundy, Honaker, and Castlewood in football every year and the basketball would still be pretty dang good... not too bad of a travel time either. most of the buch co. BDD teams already play Ervinton and Castlewood would be the longest trip maxing out at maybe 2 hours..

and to get on the SWD

i think Richlands, Tazewell, Abingdon, Marion makes sense then add Lebanon, Gate City, and maybe VA High makes it a great district made up of pretty much all 2's.

the VHSL could make the BDD a larger district, not that it will really help it at all but they could add Ervinton and Castlewood which would probably make it Grundy, Honaker, and Castlewood in football every year

I think you greatly over exagerate where Grundys football program is right now and while Castlewood had a good season they lose alot this year, I dont know if they can duplicate this past seasons success. I also think you really under value Haysi, granted the past two years have been kinda down.

I have always felt Castlewood would be a good fit in the BDD but the Cumberland cant afford to lose any schools; Ervinton will be gone soon(part of the Dickenson Co consolidation), Eastside may soon be in the LPD(I hear rumblings that Norton City and Wise Co are close to combining, that would mean most of Nortons high school students would go to Eastside). With those two loses that would leave the Cumberland with only 4 teams(including Castlewood).

A BDD/Cumberland merger could happen w/ Grundy goin back to the SWD. I know that would be some really long travel times but the schools form the two districts are probably gonna play each other anyway.

I could see the Clinch Mtn dissolving, w/ Lebanon, Virginia and JS Battle going to the SWD and Lee and Gate City goin to the LPD.

Honaker would work in the SWD but honestly I see them ending up in the Hogoheegee, they would be a good fit in terms of enrollment and geography.

Edited by redtiger

IMO the LPD would best be suited to bring in Gate city and Lee. If this deal dont go through with Norton City and Wise Co, Id like to see JIB go to the Cumberland and even leave East Side in the Cumberland. The LPD would be a tough district with Dickenson Co school, Union, Central, Gate City, and Lee. Eastside would be over matched by each team in every sport IMO. The old SWD had if im not mistaking Richlands, Tazwell, Grundy, Abingdon and who else? Either way the new AA is going to be the most competitive class in VHSL. It will have Marion, Richlands, Gate City, Union, Dickenson Co (when combined), Grundy, Central, ect....... This will be the strongest class for football by far. Richlands and Marion will deffinetly throw some kinks in the playoffs and I dont think they will be any 5-5 teams making the playoffs under this new reclassifications so teams that were up and down like Union will have to tighten down and get those close games to go their way or itll be no playoffs for them. IMO Richlands, Marion, Tazwell (who i dont think will be down for too long) and other teams like this will bring alot of excitment to the AA ( old d2 single a) playoffs.

Interesting article from Hillsville. I had been told that the four and five team districts were getting a lot of kickback over being too small and was wondering (if this is correct) if the SWD is folding . It would make sense for the LPD to be dissolved- but a swollen CMD might be too much for Union and Wise.

With SWD disbanding, Carroll likely headed to River Ridge

by Allen Worrell, Sports Editor Carroll News (Va)

7 days ago

With the Southwest District drawing its final breaths, Carroll County appears to be headed for the River Ridge District beginning with the 2013-2014 school year.

A new proposal from the Virginia High School League's Redistricting and Reclassification Committee would send Carroll County to the River Ridge District along with Patrick Henry to join the district's existing six schools – Salem, Pulaski County, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Cave Spring and Hidden Valley. While there are sure to be plenty of appeals between now and the date of final assignments on Sept. 20, Carroll County learned Thursday its most likely destination will be the River Ridge.

“It's probably going to go through because the Southwest District is no more. Marion has opted to go to the Hogoheegee District and Abingdon, Tazewell and Richlands have all opted to go to the Clinch Mountain District,†Carroll County Athletic Director Darrin Matthews said. “The Southwest District is dead right now, which leaves Carroll County in the Piedmont or River Ridge.â€

The proposal calls for several district shakeups as the old three classification model which pitted schools in Group A, Group AA or Group AAA would be changed to a six-classification model. Under the new model, most districts would include teams from several classifications. The new River Ridge for instance would include four 3-A schools (Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Hidden Valley, Cave Spring), three 4-A schools (Carroll County, Salem and Pulaski County), and one 6-A school (Patrick Henry with 1,973 students).

“The concept is very similar to North Carolina's current system. I don't know the exact structure, but there will be some kind of points system. We will be a 4-A school,†Matthews said. “Galax and Grayson County are going to want to play us because they are going to get more points by playing us, and if they beat us they will be even better off. They are good gates, good community, good rivalries.â€

Winning the district would not hold as much bearing for making the playoffs under the new system, which would be more geared toward a points system. In fact, the VHSL stated that winning a district title wouldn't automatically qualify a school for postseason play. It is still to be determined how teams would qualify for postseason play under the new district alignments, something that could have a huge bearing on determining final district members.

While moving to the River Ridge would renew some old New River District rivalries for Carroll County, it would also put the Cavaliers' athletic programs at a severe competition disadvantage. Travel would not be much better for Carroll than the current Southwest District either with four schools in the Roanoke area (Patrick Henry, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley and Salem).

“With Pulaski, Christiansburg, Blacksburg and Carroll County, the old New River District, I think that's great. But I really right now don't want us to travel to Patrick Henry. Roanoke is in our district – Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, Salem – and I don't think it benefits us,†Matthews said. “If you look at the distance traveled, it's probably less but our demographics are different. We are a rural, agricultural, farming, production-type community and they are all very urbanized. And frankly I don't think it is the best fit for us, but at the moment it's all we have.â€

Matthews said redistricting issues are still being ironed out and there is an appeals process. He said he doesn't know exactly what other districts and schools are thinking. He has heard that the Western Valley District, which includes Patrick Henry, William Fleming, Franklin County, and Halifax County, doesn't like the proposal, but he doesn't know if that's entirely true.

In the new proposal, G.W. Danville and Halifax County would move to the Piedmont District, which currently consists of Bassett, Magna Vista, Tunstall, Patrick County and Martinsville.

“I don't know what their appeal is going to look like, but I do know that Patrick County does not seem real pleased,†Matthews said. “So pretty much our two options are the River Ridge and Piedmont. And here's the thing with the Piedmont. It would be a 7- or 8-team league and the bulk of your schedule is going to be down Lover's Leap Mountain. If the (Route) 58 project was complete and they had done what they did over in Giles County and straightened out that road, it would be wonderful. But it's just not a very good scenario. It worries me.â€

Matthews expects a lot of moving and shaking as other schools and districts feel out the proposal. There will be another meeting Feb. 27 to look at appeals, and another one in March. He said nothing would be iron clad until probably the end of the school year.

Read more: Carroll News (Va) - With SWD disbanding Carroll likely headed to River Ridge

they need to keep the SWD and put most of the teams that would fit in there, back in there. Grundy is twice the size of all the schools in the BDD and there is no wrestling in the BDD...so why keep them there? Put them back in the SWD with the others that belong there and it would be pretty awesome for all involved.

anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't make sense?

Grundy

Graham

Tazewell

Richalnds

Lebanon

Va High

JSB

Marion

Abingdon

they need to keep the SWD and put most of the teams that would fit in there, back in there. Grundy is twice the size of all the schools in the BDD and there is no wrestling in the BDD...so why keep them there? Put them back in the SWD with the others that belong there and it would be pretty awesome for all involved.

Grundy

Graham

Tazewell

Richalnds

Lebanon

Va High

JSB

Marion

Abingdon

That's too good to ever happen. Viva la 4-team districts!

Grundy

Graham

Tazewell

Richalnds

Lebanon

Va High

JSB

Marion

Abingdon

Makes sense, but I really dont see Graham leaving the MED. I think they really struggled with the decision to move, and don't want to jump ship so soon after being welcomed by everyone. Could be wrong, but I think it will be a few years if ever.

i would think the county would like to see Graham - Tazewell - Richlands all in the SWD if possible...but...politics...you never know.

I actually prefer Richlands and Tazewell in the CMD. The SWD as we knew it died a long time ago.

Grundy

Graham

Tazewell

Richalnds

Lebanon

Va High

JSB

Marion

Abingdon

I think somethinng like this will eventually happen(except maybe Graham in the MED), Lee and GC to the LPD.

I actually prefer Richlands and Tazewell in the CMD. The SWD as we knew it died a long time ago.

i know...be a good time to put it back in place...plus it just makes sense. All are going to be 2A schools and have wrestling and other common sports besides basketball and football. Travel time would be just fine. Schedules would be easy to fill. A lot of long standing rivalries. I can't think of anything negative about it.

i know...be a good time to put it back in place...plus it just makes sense. All are going to be 2A schools and have wrestling and other common sports besides basketball and football. Travel time would be just fine. Schedules would be easy to fill. A lot of long standing rivalries. I can't think of anything negative about it.

I think Abingdon would be 3A under the new proposal. Otherwise, all others are 2s.