VHSL redistricting proposal

trublue

Can see Union going to the CMD- they play all the schools except Tazewell, JSB, and Abingdon- would solve their scheduling problems. The VHSL should not place a school in a conference-district which has already turned down that school for membership, in re Marion to the Hogo. Know they did this in the case of Coeburn-Eastside to the Cumberland- still is wrong.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the powers to be in Bristol would let Battle and Va High be in separate districts again. Might be wrong. I'd trade Honaker for Battle along with getting Graham and Grundy back in the mix. But...we all know this is the VHSL so what would make the most sense usually doesn't happen. At least Carroll is gone....

Virginia High and John Battle are under two separate school boards (VHS in the independent city of Bristol and JSB in Washington County). Just because Battle people say we're from Bristol, doesn't mean that we're from the same Bristol as VHS. I don't think that VHS and Battle will ever be split again either, but for different reasons (like having close enrollments and being so close together).

Can see Union going to the CMD- they play all the schools except Tazewell, JSB, and Abingdon- would solve their scheduling problems. The VHSL should not place a school in a conference-district which has already turned down that school for membership, in re Marion to the Hogo. Know they did this in the case of Coeburn-Eastside to the Cumberland- still is wrong.

I cant see Union EVER leaving the LPD(unless there is no longer an LPD), those roots run deep. I see a new district w/ all of the teams Lance mentioned(more or less) under the name Southwest or Clinch Mtn. As well as a "new" LPD with Ridgeview, Central, Eastside, Union, Lee and Gate City. A Cumberland/ Black Diamond with Thomas Walker, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Castlewood, Hurley, Twin Valley and Council. Honaker to the Hogo. The small A schools get screwed but thats the only feasible option(only option w/o MAJOR differences in enrollment).

Eastside will not go into the LPD unless it is combined with Burton. Pledges have been made to Coeburn that this won't happen- they will retain a school in Coeburn.. A Norton Wise County merger is very questionable. I see Burton in the Cumberland and Clintwood in the BDD. Logical that Wise and Union would be in the CMD.

Why does everyone keep saying that the kids from Burton would go to Eastside in Coeburn? I know they're all pretty close together, but I thought Wise was closer to Norton. Wouldn't most of them go to Central then?

Makes no sense at all...

I agree. I've been seeing this everywhere. Keep hearing it makes sense travel and enrollment wise. Not in the travel dept it doesn't. If it's 1:30 from Richlands to GW, what'll it be for Honaker?

i agree. I've been seeing this everywhere. Keep hearing it makes sense travel and enrollment wise. Not in the travel dept it doesn't. If it's 1:30 from richlands to gw, what'll it be for honaker?

1:30

Wise is closer to Norton than Coeburn but if the kids from Burton go to Central then the Wise Co schools would be in different groupings(w/ the new proposed steup I have no idea what A the three would be?); Central would have nearly 900+ students, Union would have 650ish and Eastside would have just over 400. The point of having three schools was in part to guarantee that they would all be able to compete against each other. IF norton and Wise merge the majority of JIBs kids will imo go to Eastside.

I am the only person that I have heard say Honaker will go to the Hogo.

Assuming Grundy will rejoin the SWD/CMD and leave the BDD w/ 3 football playing schools(Haysi will soon be no more) what will Honaker do? Stay in the BDD/Cumberland and travel 2+ hours to Thomas Walker and 1 1/2+ hrs Scott Co to play generally subpar competition? Join the SWD/CMD and play against larger - much larger competition every night? Join the LPD and travel over an hour to play much larger competition?

The Hogo makes alot of sense; its only about 1 1/2 hrs from Honaker to Wytheville and Rural Retreat and the other Hogo members are all under an hour. The schools are much closer to Honakers enrollment and even if its not the best fit but its better than the alternatives.

Wise is closer to Norton than Coeburn but if the kids from Burton go to Central then the Wise Co schools would be in different groupings(w/ the new proposed steup I have no idea what A the three would be?); Central would have nearly 900+ students, Union would have 650ish and Eastside would have just over 400. The point of having three schools was in part to guarantee that they would all be able to compete against each other. IF norton and Wise merge the majority of JIBs kids will imo go to Eastside.

I am the only person that I have heard say Honaker will go to the Hogo.

Assuming Grundy will rejoin the SWD/CMD and leave the BDD w/ 3 football playing schools(Haysi will soon be no more) what will Honaker do? Stay in the BDD/Cumberland and travel 2+ hours to Thomas Walker and 1 1/2+ hrs Scott Co to play generally subpar competition? Join the SWD/CMD and play against larger - much larger competition every night? Join the LPD and travel over an hour to play much larger competition?

The Hogo makes alot of sense; its only about 1 1/2 hrs from Honaker to Wytheville and Rural Retreat and the other Hogo members are all under an hour. The schools are much closer to Honakers enrollment and even if its not the best fit but its better than the alternatives.

I'd like to see Honaker to the SWD/CMD. By playing better competition, they would be better prepared for a playoff run, should they get there. But that's just the way I see it.

Burton and the Dickenson schools may be around for a while. I don't think there is any way that Norton will merge with Wise County if their kids go to Coeburn. Norton's terms for a system merger will probably require either Burton to be left alone or Wise County to build a new school in Norton. The completion date for a new Dickenson school may be much further off than has been depicted to the public. They do not yet have federal money in their hands for the project or the key piece of property they need for construction- the owners will not sell for any price and they are prepared to go to the State Supreme Court if necessary- that could tie it up for three or four years.

Honaker, Castlewood, and Lebanon were all Hogo members at one time, but GW and maybe RR were not in the league (can't remember if RR was in the Hogo then).

The best solution for right now might be conferences roughly divided among small, medium, and large schools. Increased travel time seems to be inevitable for all the local schools. Hour and more trips may be required for at least three or four games a season- two or three might be conference games but that might have to be accepted.

Rural Retreat was in the Hogo at the same time as Honaker was. At that time it was Honaker, Lebanon, Castlewood, Rural Retreat, Rich Valley, Saltville, Holston, Chilhowie. George Wythe and Patrick Henry (current Hogo members) were both AA schools at that time and were not part of the Hogo.

I will give you the fact that the Norton/Wise co merger may be drawn out for a while but the fact is Norton City is short on cash and its only gonna get worse so its gonna happen at some point. Norton doesent really have alot to bargain with now and if Wise Co will be patient Norton will be forced to take whatever deal Wise gives them and like it.

Dickenson Co has already seised the land, that part is over with. The couple get to keep their home and the property close to it but the part they were fighting for(undeveloped hay field and woods) has already been taken. Over done with. You cant fight eminent domain unless its for something frivolous (ex. the land is being taken to build a Wal-Mart), for a school its pretty cut and dry. The couple can have the case tried but imo that would get rushed into court, they would lose and an appeals court would deny to hear the case, because they have no case. It really wouldnt take that long and honestly any lawyer worth his salt would probably tell them that(much of my disdain for the lawyer representing them come from this). They can say they will appeal it all the way to the supreme court if they want but no higher corut has to hear a case, so anyone can appeal all they want but that doesent mean a higher court is going to hear a case.

If im wrong on my asumptions/limited knowledge of how the ins and outs of legal system function then someone please correct me

Hour plus trips are gonna be very common in the years to come, but they can be limited. 2 hour plus trips for Honaker is not that bad and both would be on good roads, Honaker already travels an hour to Hurley and that is not on the best of roads. Honaker makes sense in the SWD/CMD but Honaker and Richlands dont want to play each other now, why would they want to be in a district together?

A district of medium sized schools would make sense; Grundy, Lebanon, Honaker, Eastside would all work together and all are similar in size but who else is gonna be in that district?

Edited by redtiger

Rural Retreat was in the Hogo at the same time as Honaker was. At that time it was Honaker, Lebanon, Castlewood, Rural Retreat, Rich Valley, Saltville, Holston, Chilhowie. George Wythe and Patrick Henry (current Hogo members) were both AA schools at that time and were not part of the Hogo.

Wasn't PH part of the SWD at one time (maybe the time you're talking about here)?

Wasn't PH part of the SWD at one time (maybe the time you're talking about here)?

Yes, for a time the SWD was Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, Grundy, Marion, Abingdon, Lebanon, Gate City, Virginia High, John Battle, and Patrick Henry.

Wise County is more in need of Norton than Norton is of WC right now. Most of the talk coming from the folks who want to merge in Norton is based on future possibilities not current reality. They had a healthy increase in students last year and their enrollment is going to only go up. Wise County had a sharp loss in enrollment especially at the elementary level- notably from St. Paul. Wise County is already heading toward a financial shortfall on the school construction money.

In re Dickenson County- The Counts family have been served with a notice of taking- but court action is still pending. They also have an attorney who is generally regarded as the best eminent domain lawyer in Virginia. It is a lot more difficult to take property in Virginia now than what it used to be. More protection for the landowner. Property rights groups are pretty strong in the state and several will back the Counts family. The whole thing is really dumb- there is plenty of property the county could have gotten without an eminent domain fight.

It will be interesting to see if an attempt will eventually be made to revive a version of the old New River District. Giles, Radford, Floyd, Grayson, Galax,Fort Chiswell, and Graham would make a strong conference. GW might be interested. Narrows would be outmanned but they would probably be interested too.

We may be in for some considerable change.

It will be interesting to see if an attempt will eventually be made to revive a version of the old New River District. Giles, Radford, Floyd, Grayson, Galax,Fort Chiswell, and Graham would make a strong conference. GW might be interested. Narrows would be outmanned but they would probably be interested too.

We may be in for some considerable change.

That would be one heck of a district!

I really cant think of many suitable locations in the county other than the one the Counts property. The new school building will be housing 3 schools(Middle, High and Vocational) as well as ALL athletic facilities. I think the site is in the neighborhood of 75 acres. Outside of Happy Valley and Caney Ridge I cant think of another location. The alternatives consisted of property where coal companies owned the mineral rights and could open underground mines(major hazard to the school buildings) or strip mine sites and personally feel that the school will be an example of the best of Dickenson County, I dont want it in the head of Mill Creek or up on Tarpon on former strip mine sites.

A revised New River would work but where would the other schools from the Three Rivers and Mountain Empire go?

Edited by redtiger

Apparently Franklin is not happy.

HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS

New R&R proposal places Franklin County in Seminole

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

By STEVEN MARSH - Sports Editor

CHARLOTTESVILLE -- The latest proposal by the Virginia High School League's (VHSL) Redistricting and Reclassification (R&R) Committee has placed Franklin County in the Seminole District along with schools in Bedford, Campbell and Amherst counties and the city of Lynchburg.

The proposal, passed by the R&R Committee on a 12-0 vote last Thursday, was released Monday.

This proposal coincides with the VHSL's plans to implement a six classification realignment structure for the state's public high schools with regards to athletics and extra-curricular activities that come under the organizations umbrella.

The proposal, if approved by the VHSL's Executive Committee, takes effect during the 2013-14 school year. Also, it calls for the elimination of the Western Valley District, FCHS's athletic home since the fall of 2001.

If approved, FCHS would be placed in Class 6-A and in combination Seminole District with current league members Amherst County, E.C. Glass and Jefferson Forest, all of which would be 4-A schools, and Heritage, Brookville, Liberty and Rustburg, all of which would be Class 3-A.

The proposal, which divides the schools based on Sept. 30, 2011 enrollment figures, places Patrick Henry in Class 6-A and in the River Ridge District, William Fleming in Class 5-A and in the Blue Ridge District, Halifax County in Class 5-A and in the Piedmont District and George Washington-Danville in Class 4-A in the Piedmont.

FCHS Athletic Director T.J. Shepardson said Tuesday that the plan does not benefit FCHS in terms of travel, but it does help alleviate some inherent problems in scheduling.

Shepardson said FCHS will likely file an appeal to the plan in hopes that the VHSL will place FCHS in a district in the Roanoke Valley or create a league that's comprised of the larger schools from the Roanoke Valley Region.

"The travel (with the Seminole) is an issue and regardless of where we land, there are scheduling problems,' Shepardson said.

Why? Because teams that are placed in Class 3-A will not be required to play a school more than two classifications above it. Whether this rule applies for all sports or just football has yet to be determined, Shepardson said.

"They were not clear in the R&R meeting whether this would be just for football or whether it would be across the board in all sports (in terms of scheduling),' Shepardson said. "If it is across the board, it's a bigger problem.

"The River Ridge makes the most since to me just because of where we are (geographically), but the same issue is there with scheduling -- there are Class 3-A teams in there which are not going to play you, and they don't have to play you,' Shepardson said. (Member schools Blacksburg, Cave Spring, Christiansburg and Hidden Valley have been placed in Class 3-A).

Appeals to the plan are scheduled to be heard on Monday, Feb. 27. Those appeals must be filed with the VHSL by next Thursday.

“It's probably going to go through because the Southwest District is no more. Marion has opted to go to the Hogoheegee District and Abingdon, Tazewell and Richlands have all opted to go to the Clinch Mountain District,” Carroll County Athletic Director Darrin Matthews said. “The Southwest District is dead right now, which leaves Carroll County in the Piedmont or River Ridge.”

Sorry to see over 55 years of history just go away (and still hope that the new league might still carry the SWD moniker -- which has much more cachet and geographical appeal than "Clinch Mountain" ever could). But if this part of the article is true, the new district formed by the CMD/SWD merger looks like a real winner all around.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

Not that anyone really cares about the small schools benefit but a district combination with the MED and HOGO would be good. small schools being Narrows, Bland, Northwood, Holston, Ph-Glade, and Rural Retreat, larger being Galax, Fort, Grayson, GW, Graham,Chilhowie.

That way the small school like Narrows and Bland don't have to close out the season playing Grayson, Fort, Graham, and most years Galax. We have to hope for 6 wins out of districts because 1 out of 10 years or more we might win over those 4 schools.

Also be nice to put the Single A cap at 425.