The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

With the Braves eliminated in a joke 1 game Wild Card playoff, I am supporting the Os. My dad has always been an Orioles fan, and I am a Buck Showalter fan. Yankee fans owe him more for their late 90s dominance than many think about.

I agree Hanson is a joke and we need to resign Bourn

No way Bourn is a Brave next season, IMO. He's arguably the best CF in baseball right now and everyone will be after him this offseason.

He's going somewhere and he's getting paid. He'll be in Philly, New York, Boston, Anaheim, or anywhere else not named Atlanta that can and will afford to pay the man.

With the Braves eliminated in a joke 1 game Wild Card playoff, I am supporting the Os. My dad has always been an Orioles fan, and I am a Buck Showalter fan. Yankee fans owe him more for their late 90s dominance than many think about.

I'm jumping on the O's bandwagon this postseason too. A.) Because I hate the Yankees and B.) It's a cool story.

Is it blasphemous to sort of want the Nationals to win too as a Braves fan? I hate STL, Cincy, and SF and want them all to lose. I sort of like the success story and the youth that Washington has going right now too. I won't be pissed if they win it. Makes the NL East look a little bit better.

Is it blasphemous to sort of want the Nationals to win too as a Braves fan? I hate STL, Cincy, and SF and want them all to lose. I sort of like the success story and the youth that Washington has going right now too. I won't be pissed if they win it. Makes the NL East look a little bit better.

I've been struggling with this one as well. On one hand I can't stand the gNats, but on the other hand at least they aren't the Phillies. I'm between them and the Reds.

I'm pulling for the Reds from here on out...been a half assed Reds fan since the Big Red Machine back in the day...my uncle and Lloyd and all that bunch have always been Reds fans so I ended up watching them and going to a few games over the years...I'll be a Braves fan for life though, even though it's not an easy road to travel...in the post season anyway.

By all means...hijack away. Anything to take my mind off the game yesterday.

You mind if I jump on the O's bandwagon? They have always been one of my favorite AL teams, since I saw my first MLB game at Camden Yards back in 2000. Besides, I could never cheer for the Yankees.

Jump on board the O's train.....oooppps, I mean the Buck train....lol. Loved that game tonight !

I grew up an O's fan. I was born in Aberdeen and grew up 2 houses down from Cal & Billy. I lived there until 75 and moved to Richlands. Mom & dad were from here and moved to Aberdeen in 58 after they got married.

So I have always been a big O's fan.

Just so great to see them back in the playoff's again......does my heart good !!

Beat them Yanks !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

• 2 weeks later...
Typical Atlanta Braves playoff baseball with fielding and base-running mistakes as well as a lack of clutch hitting. I hope some big changes occur in the off-season such trying to trade Hanson for anything including a bucket of baseballs, shopping Dan Uggla, whose play this year at the plate was UGLY, and developing the young pitchers and shopping the ones that aren't going to live up to the potential. And the biggest off-season need is KEEPING MICHAEL BOURN. Atlanta has no one anywhere capable of being the lead-off threat and defensive player he is in center field.

I don't think Bourn will be back. The Braves will make an offer but some team is going to give him way more than he's worth. He's overrated in my opinion. He struck out 155 times last year and only hit .225 in the 2nd half. There are cheaper options. Shane Victorino and Justin Upton are possible targets.

Uggla isn't going anywhere. He's had problems since he came to Atlanta but it's not as bad as it seems. He was 2nd in the league in walks and had the same OBP (.348) as Bourn. He was also 3rd on the team in RBI. If he can get his average back up to the .250 range then the Braves will get their $$$ worth.

They will probably try to include Hanson in a trade. They need a CF (Bourn or someone else) and either a 3B or LF. If they can't trade him then he will compete for the 5th starter spot with Delgado and Teheran.

• 2 weeks later...

Boo. On the bright side, they came to terms with Huddie, McCann and Maholm for next season. The rotation should be good again next year. Hopefully Beachy makes a quick, full recovery.

They are going to have to bring in some bats in the off season if they want to be contenders next year...same old story every year...you would think they would fix it.

They are going to have to bring in some bats in the off season if they want to be contenders next year...same old story every year...you would think they would fix it.

I keep hearing they are going to go after swisher

Since we all believe there is no way Bourn returns, there is a key to where we find a bat. I think Simmons can take over at leadoff. His bat was better than expected, and he has the speed to make things happen. Another key will be whether Francisco can play defense. He has tons of power, and being an everyday guy would probably help his average, but he hasnt had the ability to play D well enough to be an everyday player.

Since we all believe there is no way Bourn returns, there is a key to where we find a bat. I think Simmons can take over at leadoff. His bat was better than expected, and he has the speed to make things happen. Another key will be whether Francisco can play defense. He has tons of power, and being an everyday guy would probably help his average, but he hasnt had the ability to play D well enough to be an everyday player.

I think we'll go for and sign someone like Victorino to replace Bourn.

If they do not re-sign Bourn they will not make the playoffs in 2013, period.

that might depend on where Bourn actually goes, if its in the division that would suck! If he goes AL then depending on what the Mets and Phillies do, it could come down to the Braves and Nats again just on pitching, which we should be ok there...but, the problem is you have to generate some runs in the playoffs to win...we have a stack of divisional titles and 1 world series to prove that...pitching doesn't win you world series titles.

Anyone think the Phils or the Mets will go after Bourn?

that might depend on where Bourn actually goes, if its in the division that would suck! If he goes AL then depending on what the Mets and Phillies do, it could come down to the Braves and Nats again just on pitching, which we should be ok there...but, the problem is you have to generate some runs in the playoffs to win...we have a stack of divisional titles and 1 world series to prove that...pitching doesn't win you world series titles.

Anyone think the Phils or the Mets will go after Bourn?

the phils, nats and reds are wanting him the most as of right now

The fact is ATL has no one capable of doing what Bourn does in center-field and batting lead-off. If they actually think they can replace his importance to the offensive with someone else they are sadly mistaken. Check-out the stats from this past season with regard to Bourn's offensive productively and the W/L record; it was eye-opening.

If they do not re-sign Bourn they will not make the playoffs in 2013, period.

Go ahead and write them off because I'd bet almost anything that we don't resign him. We will definitely offer something pretty sweet like 3 years for $30-odd million, but someone will definitely offer a contract like 5 to 6 years for $60-some million.

Someone is going to overpay Bourn this off-season and it won't be Atlanta. He'll be 30 going into next season and locking into a long-term deal with him is a risky decision that a lot of teams can't afford or will be willing to do.

Go ahead and write them off because I'd bet almost anything that we don't resign him. We will definitely offer something pretty sweet like 3 years for $30-odd million, but someone will definitely offer a contract like 5 to 6 years for $60-some million.

Someone is going to overpay Bourn this off-season and it won't be Atlanta. He'll be 30 going into next season and locking into a long-term deal with him is a risky decision that a lot of teams can't afford or will be willing to do.

makes that $45 million we gave Uggla look even worse doesn't it?