The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

Report: Atlanta and Chicago have a deal involving Ryan Dempster. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8192150/sources-atlanta-braves-agree-deal-chicago-cubs-ryan-dempster

Still pending the player's approval.

That's a solid get for the Braves.

But as I was looking this news up, I saw that Ichiro is coming to New York. He better not take Swish's spot...

Well, No Dempster deal. He said no to the trade.

I'm actually glad.

Dempster came he wasn't going to sign an extension in Atlanta. We would've let Delgado go for what would amount to a 3 month rental. Not worth it, IMO.

Dempster hasn't said no to the trade. He hasnt said yes either though. The Braves gave a deadline for the trade to be done by yesterday. If the Dodgers dont make an offer Theo agrees to, I bet Dempster ends up in ATL. I agree Dempster is still just a 3 month rental, but I am fine with that if that gets the Braves over the hump. I was really hoping the Cubs would pull Dempster from his start today as a precaution for a possible deal. If Dempster doesnt have an injury today I would bet the deal is back on the table.

I do not see Greinke coming to ATL. The money he will command when his contract expires would hand-cuff the Braves salary-wise and make it difficult to re-sign current players that are heading for free agency. It would undoubtedly mean Bourn would not return and the Braves need to keep Bourn around b/c his presence at the top of the lineup is huge. They have no other player anywhere in the farm-system capable of doing the type of things Bourn can do.

I do not see Greinke coming to ATL. The money he will command when his contract expires would hand-cuff the Braves salary-wise and make it difficult to re-sign current players that are heading for free agency. It would undoubtedly mean Bourn would not return and the Braves need to keep Bourn around b/c his presence at the top of the lineup is huge. They have no other player anywhere in the farm-system capable of doing the type of things Bourn can do.

I don't think Greinke is going to be a Brave either. I'd absolutely love it, but fat chance. Not only would we not spend the money to keep him, but the Brewers supposedly want both Teheran and Delgado, plus about 4 other promising prospects. Way too steep.

FWIW, I've already mentally parted ways with Bourn after this season. This is his ATL Farewell Tour too, much like Chipper's. No way we will spend the money to keep him around after this season, IMO. Bourn is arguably the hottest CF in the league and will be one of the biggest FA's on the market this winter. Teams will be looking to sign him long-term at a minimum of $12-13 million per year or somewhere in that ballpark. I'd be shocked to see the Braves go past $10 mil. A lot of the money coming off the books this year from Chipper, Lowe, and a few others will probably go into a long-term contract with McCann and I think Freeman and Heyward are each probably looking at some type of raise this offseason too.

Word is that Philly is going to be hot after Bourn this offseason. If that is true then they will definitely outbid Atlanta. They just oversigned Hamels today to keep him away from NY and Boston, which means both Pence and Victorino are probably all but gone next season. If they don't throw the money at Bourn in the offseason then New York, Boston, or a team like Anaheim will. I'd say there's a good chance that Victorino will be your starting CF in Atlanta next season.

Dempster hasn't said no to the trade. He hasnt said yes either though. The Braves gave a deadline for the trade to be done by yesterday. If the Dodgers dont make an offer Theo agrees to, I bet Dempster ends up in ATL. I agree Dempster is still just a 3 month rental, but I am fine with that if that gets the Braves over the hump. I was really hoping the Cubs would pull Dempster from his start today as a precaution for a possible deal. If Dempster doesnt have an injury today I would bet the deal is back on the table.

Nailed it. Dempster's little more than rent-an-arm...

• 2 weeks later...

I was gone on vacation last week, but the Braves possibly got a steal in Maholm for what they gave up. Plus, he has a $5.5 mil option for next year they could easily pick up adding a lefty starter to next years rotation.

I stopped in Atlanta last Saturday and caught the Phillies game. Minor and Blanton both pitched gems. Didnt get into the park in time to see the Braves take BP, but after watching Phillies BP I have a new found respect for what pitchers do.

still a long way, but do you guys think the Nats will crack and the Braves will pass them?

I think they are way too streaky this year...when they are hot though, they are hard to beat...going to be an interesting stretch.

still a long way, but do you guys think the Nats will crack and the Braves will pass them?

I think they are way too streaky this year...when they are hot though, they are hard to beat...going to be an interesting stretch.

Either way, I think the Braves are in a good position going into any postseason match up. Their pitching is sound, they're hitting relatively well, and they're scoring runs. Not to go all John Madden on you, but that's the name of the game right there.

I don't believe the Nats are going to crack. They have the best pitching in MLB (only team with under 400 runs allowed), and as we know, the Braves made a killing in the 90s with stud pitching + mediocre bats. The Braves have 6 left against the Nats: 4-2 in those 6 would make things interesting.

I see the Braves getting into the 1-game playoff.

I don't believe the Nats are going to crack. They have the best pitching in MLB (only team with under 400 runs allowed), and as we know, the Braves made a killing in the 90s with stud pitching + mediocre bats. The Braves have 6 left against the Nats: 4-2 in those 6 would make things interesting.

This.

Everyone is making a big deal about the managers making Strasburg hang it up for the season when hits the 160 IP mark. He only pitches once every 5 days. They are winning more than once every 5 days. The Nats have a pretty nasty rotation with or without him.

The Braves have won 11 out of their last 15 and haven't even gained a half-game in the standings. Gonna be tough to crack anything but the WC.

They also went 1-14 or whatever during that stretch in winning it all...pitching might get you to the post season, but it didn't win them more than one world series. Ironically the Braves seem to have a more rounded team this year, if they can get in they might have some luck.

what will happen knowing the Braves luck, Sheets will do good enough to earn a shot with another team like Cleveland where he will go on to become an ace...lol...Braves are good at recycling pitchers for other theams it seems.

called it...headlines on ESPN today:

The Accidental Savior

The Braves weren't counting on Ben Sheets to save their rotation, but the crafty vet has done just that.

Maybe he will like it in ATL and sign on for another year.

Hanson had a solid rehab start. Medlen back to the pen?

I'm wondering this myself...they are going 6 deep for the next 2 weeks, but what happens in Sept? I think if they continue to win they should just stick with 6 until the playoffs then go to a 4 man rotation and use the off 2 for middle relief.

What do you guys think will happen here? We have the unique problem of too much good pitching with Sheets doing his thing....of course, to me...i'd keep Sheets on a short leash...first sing of him falling off the wagon I'd pull the plug...he's done great but i can't help think he is just riding a fresh arm and once it starts to wear down it's going to go fast.

You may even start to question that more with Sheets last start. Its definitely a good problem to have and Medlen went out last night and made the plea for his spot in the rotation very well. Going with a 6 man rotation could hurt the pen a little but they have been protected a lot better this year, but really make our 4 starters come playoff time a lot better off, as long as we we by that first game if we cant catch the Nats.

You may even start to question that more with Sheets last start. Its definitely a good problem to have and Medlen went out last night and made the plea for his spot in the rotation very well. Going with a 6 man rotation could hurt the pen a little but they have been protected a lot better this year, but really make our 4 starters come playoff time a lot better off, as long as we we by that first game if we cant catch the Nats.

That's what I don't like about the new format. Barring a 10-game losing streak, the Braves will be the 1st Wild Card team. Instead of getting the Reds in a 5-game series, one crappy night against the Pirates could end it.