The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

I'm sure some will adamantly disagree, but I believe that Tommy Hanson is overrated. Who knows, maybe he'll find his niche at some point moving forward, but to this point in his career he has been very inconsistent.

Apparently he tinkered with his delivery a bit this past offseason. Maybe that will take another little while to really feel natural to him? I don't know. I'm just making excuses. But yeah, you're right. He's been up and down during his time with the Braves so far.

I was checking out the MLB standings/stats this morning and realized something shocking. Going into today's games, the Braves have scored more runs than other than team in baseball with 155. The second closest are the Rangers, Cards, and Rockies with 144. Now if offense can continue to be productive and the pitching staff could get itself together we might have a legit chance to do some damage.

I was checking out the MLB standings/stats this morning and realized something shocking. Going into today's games, the Braves have scored more runs than other than team in baseball with 155. The second closest are the Rangers, Cards, and Rockies with 144. Now if offense can continue to be productive and the pitching staff could get itself together we might have a legit chance to do some damage.

Leading the majors in runs, ranked 3rd in BA, and 8th in OBP. That will win a lot of games no matter how good or bad the pitching is. But like you said, the pitching does need to come around a little better. We put up 22 runs in the last 2 games and our run differential was only +5 on that. Exciting yes, but definitely nothing to brag about.

The hitting on this team isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be though. No one on this team will hit 40 home runs, but there are arguably 5 players who are legit threats to hit 20+ a piece this season. I'll take that any day.

Leading the majors in runs, ranked 3rd in BA, and 8th in OBP. That will win a lot of games no matter how good or bad the pitching is. But like you said, the pitching does need to come around a little better. We put up 22 runs in the last 2 games and our run differential was only +5 on that. Exciting yes, but definitely nothing to brag about.

The hitting on this team isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be though. No one on this team will hit 40 home runs, but there are arguably 5 players who are legit threats to hit 20+ a piece this season. I'll take that any day.

the big difference is Uggla...i think...he's playing much better early on than he did last year and he's hovering around .300 and is getting on base a lot more this year.

I gotta say, they are playing pretty good ball right now and if they can keep everyone healthy they are pretty strong...errors are key, when they don't give it away they are winning this year...so far.

I think we're having a lot of success because any of our 1-8 batters can bang out 3 hits a game, any game. That helps a lot not having to depend on 1 or 2 guys to carry the load. They are playing like a team finally and I love watching it.

A fellow Braves fan I work with made this statement and I agree with him. "Our pitching better keep it up, because our batters won't be able to do this every game."

I think we're having a lot of success because any of our 1-8 batters can bang out 3 hits a game, any game. That helps a lot not having to depend on 1 or 2 guys to carry the load. They are playing like a team finally and I love watching it.

A fellow Braves fan I work with made this statement and I agree with him. "Our pitching better keep it up, because our batters won't be able to do this every game."

well they look like a totally different team from the first week or two of the season...thank god!

• 2 weeks later...

Pastornicky out, Simmons in.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/05/30/simmons-coming-from-double-a-pastornicky-to-triple-a/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

Pastornicky sent to Triple-A; Simmons coming to majors

11:00 pm May 30, 2012, by David O'Brien

The Braves’ future at shortstop is now.

The team called defensive whiz Andrelton Simmons from Double-A Mississippi to replace rookie shortstop Tyler Pastornicky, who was optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett after Wednesday night’s win against St. Louis.

Simmons, 22, will make his major league debut with a start in Friday’s series opener at Washington.

Pastornicky hit .248 with eight extra-base hits (one homer), a .281 on-base percentage and two stolen bases in 44 games for the Braves. He slumped recently and had seven errors and the lowest fielding percentage among major league shortstops.

“We needed more,” Braves general manager Frank Wren said of Pastornicky’s defense.

Simmons, who is in his first full season of pro ball, hit .292 with 14 extra-base hits (three home runs), a .372 OBP and 10 stolen bases in 43 games at Mississippi before Wednesday. A second-round pick in the 2010 draft, the Curacao native wowed Braves players and coaches with his spectacular defense as a non-roster invitee at major league spring training.

“He has special talents [at shortstop],” Wren said of Simmons, who has uncommonly fluid movements and reactions on defense, and was a part-time closer in junior college with a fastball clocked at 98 mph.

“Once the reports started coming in so glowingly that he was handling that [Double-A] level so well, we started at least giving it some thought as to when would be the right time, and we continued to call this week and everyone in player development that [assistant GM] Bruce [Manno] talked to said he’s ready.”

Pastornicky was 2-for-22 with one walk and three errors in his past eight games, after hitting .290 with five RBIs in his previous 18 games.

“It’s really disappointing,” Pastornicky said after being told he was optioned. “I feel like I can help the team, but it’s just something where they feel like I need some more work. They have every right to do that….

“I think it’s probably more defensively than it is anything else. I haven’t played my best defensively. It’s been kind of a grind, even with spring training. I wasn’t where I wanted to be defensively.”

Wren said Pastornicky had met expectations offensively, batting mostly in the eighth spot in the lineup. He said the rookie had also made strides defensively, though obviously not enough or he wouldn’t be getting sent down.

“We saw a lot of improvement from spring training,” Wren said. “We saw a lot of areas where he really stepped up. We just felt like right now, we needed a little more and so there’s some areas he could stand to improve. We think he’s got a real good chance to be a real good major league player but right now we think he needs more work….

“He’s always been an offensive performer. He got a lot of key hits for us, a lot of great at-bats. Batting in the eighth spot which is not an easy spot. He did a good job. And so defensively we want him to just continue to work.”

Simmons won the Carolina League batting title with a .311 average last season at high Class-A Lynchburg, easing some concerns about whether his bat would ever begin to catch up with his defense.

He looked overmatched at the plate at times during spring training while competing with Pastornicky for the shortstop job, but his defense drew attention and praise from the first day of camp.

“He’s got it,” third baseman Chipper Jones said midway through spring training. “He’s major league-ready defensively, there’s no doubt about that. When everybody says that he’s major league-ready defensively, they’re saying it for a reason.”

Simmons has shown enough in his first year at Double-A to convince Braves officials that he can hit enough to at least keep his head above water in the majors, despite having only 20o plate appearances above the Class-A level and none in Triple-A.

Some scouts believe he will immediately be one of the best defensive shortstops in the National League.

“He’s played extremely well at Double-A,” Wren said. “He’s done everything and more we would expect. He’s swinging the bat well, he has more walks than strikeouts. His plate discipline is improving, and the reports have been glowing. I think the way the manager and the hitting coach there and our roving instructors talked in recent days going through, I think it was enough that we felt he would help us.”

2.5 games separates top from the bottom in the NL East...I can't remember it being that close near the break in....well...ever? Nat's in first and Phillies in last...who saw that coming ? lol.

The parity this year is ridiculous, but the NL's just sick. LA is the only team in the majors that's 10 games over .500. Atlanta's record, good enough to tie for the wild card in the NL, would make them the best team in the AL...

i was looking at the records across the boards...Braves are right up there with the best in the game...a few teams at 34 wins actually...this is the craziest year i can remember in a long time, but its fun to watch. Nationals look pretty strong right now...I think they might be my dark horse to win it all this year if the injuries dont get them.

The question for the Nats is if the pitching can hold up. They have some good young arms, but not much to show they can do this for 162 games. They rank near the bottom in about all offensive categories. Worse than last years Braves offensively.