The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

Fair enough, but when they brought him back (near the end of last season) it was to serve as a RH pinch hitter. Had they been able to pick up another RH outfielder over the winter he probably would have been cut. They tried all winter and spring to trade for such a player but price was always too high.

It's like Andy said, sometimes you just have to pay the man...lol.

When you factor in Damons arm, theres not much difference between his defense and Diaz as a whole. Damon covers more ground, but has the arm of a T-baller.

He also has an out in this contract with Cleveland where he can leave the team when Grady Sizemore comes back so that he can be signed by someone else to get more playing time. I have to say I do admire Damon's will to be "in the game" and not just drawing a check on someones bench all season.

When you factor in Damons arm, theres not much difference between his defense and Diaz as a whole. Damon covers more ground, but has the arm of a T-baller.

He also has an out in this contract with Cleveland where he can leave the team when Grady Sizemore comes back so that he can be signed by someone else to get more playing time. I have to say I do admire Damon's will to be "in the game" and not just drawing a check on someones bench all season.

end of the road for Damon...and Cleveland isn't going to win anything this year.

In fashion related news... The Braves will wear their (former) "Sunday Red" uniform tomorrow night, and their new cream uniform Saturday and Sunday. The red jersey is now for Friday home games and the cream for weekend home games.

NewBravesUnis.jpg

In fashion related news... The Braves will wear their (former) "Sunday Red" uniform tomorrow night, and their new cream uniform Saturday and Sunday. The red jersey is now for Friday home games and the cream for weekend home games.

NewBravesUnis.jpg

good lord...bring back the old powder blues from 1983 :)

PS: I see what Chipper did here. 0_o

I don't ever want to see the powder blue's again, lol. The picture above isn't the best example of the new ones. They're sharp and very close to what they wore in the 60's.

yeah i like those...they are the old Hammerin' Hank jerseys...i always wanted them to bring those back in the 80s.

I don't care what anyone says... Matt Diaz isn't as bad as people think. As it's been rehashed a million times, we can't afford/fall into a big OF bat and Diaz just so happens fill that hole as best as he can.

The alternatives could be a lot worse...

I don't care what anyone says... Matt Diaz isn't as bad as people think. As it's been rehashed a million times, we can't afford/fall into a big OF bat and Diaz just so happens fill that hole as best as he can.

The alternatives could be a lot worse...

I like Diaz. He kills LH pitching (.328 career average). I wish he could hit RH as well and play better defense, but as a platoon bat and pinch hitter you can't go wrong.

Braves have won 4 straight!

Five in-a-row now for Atlanta with multiple positives from today minus Durbin's masterful 9-inning pitching performance. Does he really receive a paycheck to pitch? Let's see what they can do against the Mets after getting swept to start the season.

I know its not the wrong thing to do, but it does suck to see an intentional walk, only to turn around and give up a HR to the next guy. Its rare that you see it when the matchup (R-R) is in your favor though.

thats right up there with Otis Nixon trying to bunt for a hit to get the last out....

Braves take the series against NY today and finish the homestand at 5-1.

A few observations:

1.) 14 runs scored today. A total of 65 runs this season. Currently leads the majors.

2.) The bats are starting to come around. This team may not have the "big bat" that people talk about in this thread, but they have power throughout their entire lineup and 5-6 legit threats to go yard at any AB (Uggla, Freeman, Prado, Heyward, McCann, Jones). Not bad to have, IMO.

3.) Heyward is swinging a good bat right now. His shortened swing is paying immediate dividends and hopefully he continues to do that. He needs to stay healthy, and more importantly, play through a little pain if/when he does get a little dinged up.

4.) I still like our pitching, but the starters need to go a little deeper into the game to give our bullpen a shot at winning/closing games for us. Jurrjens specifically (4 IP today; 9.00 ERA).

5.) Yes, the future is bright, but the pitching and hitting on this team are more than serviceable this season (one of the best pitching staffs in baseball, IMO). The key to making a run is injuries. If 2-3 of any the 5-6 players I named in Point #2 go down then it's trouble.

6.) I know its early, but I think the Braves have as good a shot this year to win the division as any year. I really believe that Philly is close to hitting a brick wall. Are they the most talented team in the NL? Absolutely. But their age (Polanco, etc.) and injuries (Howard, Utley, etc.) are something they should worry about. The whole division is a bit stronger with the addition of the "new" Miami Marlins and Strasburg in DC. I'd say that each of those teams could be 10-15 games better than they have been in past seasons solely because of the new additions.

4.) I still like our pitching, but the starters need to go a little deeper into the game to give our bullpen a shot at winning/closing games for us. Jurrjens specifically (4 IP today; 9.00 ERA).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/braves-demote-jair-jurrjens-minors-062919515--mlb.html;_ylt=AkWe7WoN8eOfd0PeZ4k4pc4RvLYF

Jair to Gwinnett. Had to be done.

Well...Braves are up to 12-7 now...and 4 with the Pirates starting tomorrow. When they keep the errors down they are not really playing bad ball now...kinda impressed considering they stunk it up out of the gate this year.