The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

Wait, I have more thoughts on the Marlins.

When has the hot-headed coach with the star-studded roster ever been successful? It's a paradigm that has shown to be unsuccessful for the NY Jets (Rex Ryan as the coach) and Orlando Magic (Van Gundy as the coach) among others. I swear we won't make it through June before we start hearing of a bad clubhouse, Ozzie is a nut, etc. The worst thing a team can do is get too emotional during a 162 game season. And that's exactly what a manager like Ozzie has done in the past, and I think will continue in Miami.

the Braves should hire American Idol's Randy Jackson as manager...he is one cool dawg....and it would be entertaining to see him in a Braves uniform going out to argue a call.

• 4 weeks later...

If the Braves can get him cheap enough...should they pick up Johnny Damon???

No, I think they want to save their money until the see where they stand in July. Damon will sign with an AL team anyway. His best chance for regular playing time will come as a DH.

I think Damon is just looking to play for a contender, if they can get him cheap enough I think he would be a good addition..guy is a vet thats been pretty consistent his entire career and is a good hitter, not really a power guy, but he will move runners and put the ball in play...would be a great guy to have off the bench and around the younger Braves players....i dunno...I kinda like the idea...IF they could get him cheap that is.

I don't think they're as desperate for hitting as last year made it seem. If Heyward can get back on track and Uggla produces all season the offense will be fine. Not to mention having Bourn for a full season, and Freeman, who I think is set to have a big year. Then again, you can't count on a healthy year from Chipper and Damon would give them another option in LF... But I would still rather they wait until the trade deadline in case they need to take on salary to address a need they may not be aware of at this point. Maybe they will need to get an OF (or 3B), or maybe a SS or even a pitcher (Jurrjens, Hanson, Hudson are no strangers to the DL, and the young studs are unproven). You never know what will happen with injuries over the course of a season so they need to have some flexibility if/when something happens.

They can get Damon for about $1m on a one year hitch...thats not that much really and wouldn't tie them in to a long term relationship...i think they should snag him. He's already said he would sign for about the same as the Yankee's signed Ibanez for which was $1.1M if I remember correctly. They might even get him cheaper if he would agree to a more incentive based contract for a year...games played, hits, etc...plus he is only about 250 hits shy of 3,000 hits...would be a fun thing to follow this year. Would give Chipper some scheduled days off as well without losing a good bat...which might also be helpful in keeping him healthy all year.

I just don't think it will happen. They will probably only carry 5 outfielders. The 3 strarters plus Matt Diaz are 4 of them. Jose Constanza and "Dodge" Durango seem to be battling for the other spot. I'm more concerned about SS. Reports are that Pastornicky hasn't looked that good, and although Andrelton Simmons has (they love his defense) he hasn't played above single-A. If they're in a pennant race in July and the SS isn't hitting his weight they might be able to trade for a would be free agent and they will need all the flexibility they can get. I guess I'm saying that holding onto the money is worth more than what Damon would contribute.

They can get Damon for about $1m on a one year hitch...thats not that much really and wouldn't tie them in to a long term relationship...i think they should snag him. He's already said he would sign for about the same as the Yankee's signed Ibanez for which was $1.1M if I remember correctly. They might even get him cheaper if he would agree to a more incentive based contract for a year...games played, hits, etc...plus he is only about 250 hits shy of 3,000 hits...would be a fun thing to follow this year. Would give Chipper some scheduled days off as well without losing a good bat...which might also be helpful in keeping him healthy all year.

Damon would need 2 years, at least, to get to 3000 hits, unless he plans on batting about .400 this year.

I'd pass. Damon's just far too long in the tooth to justify it, IMO.

anyone else not like this early regular season japan game stuff? 2 teams playing while everyone else has a week of spring training left? I don't care for it myself.

Also...Braves home opener is not until Friday the 13th.

Signed Livan Hernandez today. Wish he brought along fat arse Eric Greggs strikezone with him.

I like this move. It will allow them to use Martinez more in middle relief and it opens up the possibilty of trading Medlen. Medlen would start for a lot of teams and has some trade value, so if that's what they're thinking, he could bring the RH OF/3B type they're looking for. Hernandez isn't the starter he used to be but he's never been a reliever. This could be an opportunity for him to find new life in the bullpen. I think he will be a solid long reliever and spot starter.

The trade today has potential. Juan Francisco has a lot of pop and if he can get over his LL mistakes everynow and then he may be the answer to replacing Chipper. The Reds apparently got tired of him especially coming in a little over weight to camp. Its worth risking probably a long reliever only on him.

The trade today has potential. Juan Francisco has a lot of pop and if he can get over his LL mistakes everynow and then he may be the answer to replacing Chipper. The Reds apparently got tired of him especially coming in a little over weight to camp. Its worth risking probably a long reliever only on him.

i agree...good pick up, we have plenty of pitching and Hoover has not moved up much in 3+ years.

Christian Martinez arrested for DUI...

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/04/02/braves-reliever-martinez-arrested-for-dui/

excerpt:

Martinez has secured a spot in the Braves bullpen this spring after going 0-0 with a 1.38 ERA in eight appearances, allowing two runs in 13 innings, with three walks, 13 strikeouts and a .159 opponents’ batting average.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/04/02/braves-roster-finalized-pastornicky-at-shortstop-delgado-5th-starter/

Braves roster finalized: Pastornicky at shortstop, Delgado 5th starter