What is happening?

Gunz9

Times have really changed. There is no way that tranferring to Bluefield, Tazewell, or Richlands would have been an option in my household. We played to represent our town, school, neighborhood, and our parents name. The rule was an unspoken one. If you don't want to work you don't play. This whole sense of entitlement from people these days makes me sick. We had to EARN the right to wear the uniform and the G-Star on the helmets. If they don't want to be there let them leave!!! Not all players like or love their coaches but they should respect them.

Winner!!!

Very well stated, JGray!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not nor will I ever root for the G-men but I like what Coach Williams is trying to do and as a Bland Co. supporter I know our coaches are always trying hard to get the kids to weightlift and condition through out the year. If you look at our athletes compared to alot of other schools you can see the big difference. They are bigger, faster and stronger. I wish the rest of Bland Co. would take notice and encourage there kids to jump on board. It doesn't matter if they play football or not. If you want your team to win you have to get bigger, faster and stronger. I think this is what Coach Williams is trying hard to do and while he might be running some kids off right now a few years from now you will be glad that he did run off what is keeping your program from winning. And sometimes a coach has to run what fits his players needs not what the fans think would work just because thats what WVU or some other college team runs. Most schools our size are lucky to have 1 good athlete some 2 or 3.

Dear Daddies:

1. Your child is probably not as great a player as you think.

2. Coaches are charged with putting players in the positions where they can best benefit the team.

3. Sports help prepare you for life. You learn teamwork, how to overcome adversity, and the value of earned success. When you move your child to be on a winner, what positive lesson are you teaching?

I'm just curious....Let's say that somebody (hypothetically) transfers from Graham to Bluefield....only to play football and let's say.....uses the address of a relative to claim residency....Can these people be penalized for this?? Would they have to re-imburse the Tazewell County School system for the money lost from the kid going to another state / system??

Would the kid be declared inelligible to play.....etc.... just curious....what may be some of the repercussions...if any....

It would be very unlikely, for example, for a kid's parents and siblings to live in Bluefield, VA....yet be playing for Bluefield, WV....

Edited by futbolking

Dear Daddies:

2. Coaches are charged with putting players in the positions where they can best benefit the team.

3. Sports help prepare you for life. You learn teamwork, how to overcome adversity, and the value of earned success. When you move your child to be on a winner, what positive lesson are you teaching?

well put

Dear Daddies:

1. Then if this be the case, why not leave the boys alone and let them go. Why are you on here harping on them if you dont want them there to start with?

1. Then if this be the case, why not leave the boys alone and let them go. Why are you on here harping on them if you dont want them there to start with?

Can't speek for somebody else, but I'm here harping on it because this is a discussion forum..... and I'll talk about it, if I want to...or one of the moderators tells me I can't...

I agree that you wouldn't want that type of player on your team.... but at the same time, it's a sad day when you see people with absolutely no loyalty to their friends, to their community or to their school, just because their mommy and daddy don't think they're being used like they should. It's a reflection of the poor attitude of instant gratification that we have in this society.

Can't speek for somebody else, but I'm here harping on it because this is a discussion forum..... and I'll talk about it, if I want to...or one of the moderators tells me I can't...

I agree that you wouldn't want that type of player on your team.... but at the same time, it's a sad day when you see people with absolutely no loyalty to their friends, to their community or to their school, just because their mommy and daddy don't think they're being used like they should. It's a reflection of the poor attitude of instant gratification that we have in this society.

and the way it all starts in little league when every kid plays no matter if he is able to or not.fairness, give everyone a trophy so they dont feel left out

and the way it all starts in little league when every kid plays no matter if he is able to or not.

The "Mandatory Play Rule" was created to prevent coaches who had an axe to grind against certain parents from just rotting a capable kid on the bench. Bluefield Little League was guilty as Hell of allowing this in the early-90s...

and the way it all starts in little league when every kid plays no matter if he is able to or not.fairness, give everyone a trophy so they dont feel left out

Little Leagues are recreation programs, so everyone who wants to play should get a chance to play. Since everyone is paying to participate, they should get to play. Kids don't improve if all they do is sit on the bench.

And no, that does not me you don't try to win. Heck everyone loves to win. The main goal is help kids get better, and play a game they love.

Little Leagues are recreation programs, so everyone who wants to play should get a chance to play. Since everyone is paying to participate, they should get to play. Kids don't improve if all they do is sit on the bench.

And no, that does not me you don't try to win. Heck everyone loves to win. The main goal is help kids get better, and play a game they love.

I agree with what you all are saying...but I also agree with 73's point....that this mentality doesn't work when the kids get to the high school level. Parents must realize that it's no longer rec league...and not everybody gets to play or gets to play the position they want to play.

I'd just like to see somebody step up in a position of authority and put a stop to all of this switching schools crap. If you live in Bluefield, VA...your kid shouldn't be going to school in Richlands...or Bluefield, WV.....and you can't convince me that he / she is staying with a grandparent or some other relative.... People are beating the system by giving an address of a relative...or some phony address....and they need to be busted on it...and maybe it'll stop.

The switching school thing goes on everywhere. I think it's just the way things are these days. I couldn't have ever imagined anybody switching schools back in my day just to be on a winning team. Win or lose we were G-Men and proud of it.

Amen Frito! Amen! Transferring is just a microcosm of today's need for "instant gratification". Transferring was not even an option back in our day.

I agree with what you all are saying...but I also agree with 73's point....that this mentality doesn't work when the kids get to the high school level. Parents must realize that it's no longer rec league...and not everybody gets to play or gets to play the position they want to play.

I'd just like to see somebody step up in a position of authority and put a stop to all of this switching schools crap. If you live in Bluefield, VA...your kid shouldn't be going to school in Richlands...or Bluefield, WV.....and you can't convince me that he / she is staying with a grandparent or some other relative.... People are beating the system by giving an address of a relative...or some phony address....and they need to be busted on it...and maybe it'll stop.

and if you take that most kids play little league till they reach middle school the attitude that they have to play me no matter how good i am is ingrained in some kids and parents that you then have kids that feel entitled to play even if they should only be the water boy. i know when i played little league in blfd va way back before many on here were born you did not pay to play and you did not get to play and whole half or quarter just because you were on the team. you practiced and proved in practice that you deserved a chance to play. i admit i was not good at all and i did finally get to play after 2 years and practicing every day with the rest. but i had to prove i wanted to be on the team and work hard to get the chance to play. i realize times have changed and you have those that feel they are entitled to everything.

The root of this transfer issue is that everybody thinks they are a frig'n superstar, when in fact, very very few are. Bottom line, one will only experience all that team sports have to offer when they learn to forget themselves, put the good of the team first and accomplish something through teamwork. Stay where you are, transfer out, or play 3 sports at 3 schools in one year, I don't really care. Come on people, I'll get T shirts for Christmas that are going to last longer than the football careers of 99.99999% of our local players. I would encourage all our athletes to use high school football to prepare for a lifetime of decision making. If parents, coaches, society, and self worship are leading young people to write their commitments in chalk instead of chiseling them in stone, then this topic is a symptom, not the disease.

The root of this transfer issue is that everybody thinks they are a frig'n superstar, when in fact, very very few are. Bottom line, one will only experience all that team sports have to offer when they learn to forget themselves, put the good of the team first and accomplish something through teamwork. Stay where you are, transfer out, or play 3 sports at 3 schools in one year, I don't really care. Come on people, I'll get T shirts for Christmas that are going to last longer than the football careers of 99.99999% of our local players. I would encourage all our athletes to use high school football to prepare for a lifetime of decision making. If parents, coaches, society, and self worship are leading young people to write their commitments in chalk instead of chiseling them in stone, then this topic is a symptom, not the disease.

Very well said...and with that in mind... I do believe that Coach Williams at Graham is doing it the right way and instilling work ethic into these kids, which will be much more valuable to them in life.

I've just got one more thing to say about this transferring stuff.... If a kid decides he wants to go play for somebody else....that's one thing....

But, if he's coerced or "recruited"....that's a totally different ballgame....and it's totally wrong and unethical. I'm not saying this is happening....just differentiating between the two.

From the VHSL handbook:

Eligibility Rules

Recruiting is strictly prohibited by the VHSL as it is in all public high school sports throughout the country. A player must play in the school district in which he or she lives and cannot transfer schools simply to participate in football.

And This... From section 28-6-3 of the VHSL handbook....

"Under no circumstances can a family or student participant have two residences for

eligibility purposes. It is the obligation of the school to know the complete residence status

of each student participant and to see that all comply with these requirements. Any change

in residence must be bona fi de. Determination of what constitutes a bona fi de change of

residence depends upon the facts of each case, but in order for a change of residence to

be considered bona fi de at least the following facts must exist: (1) The original residence

must be abandoned as a residence; that is sold, rented or disposed of as a residence, and

must not be used as a residence by any member of the family, (2) The entire family must

make the change and take with them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the

circumstances, and (3) The change must be made with the intent that it is permanent."

Here's a link to the handbook, if you want to download it and read all of the eligibility rules for yourselves.... it's all in section 28...

http://www.vhsl.org/eligibility

Choose the pdf file at the bottom "VHSL handbook"

Edited by futbolking

Guest king kone
Very well said...and with that in mind... I do believe that Coach Williams at Graham is doing it the right way and instilling work ethic into these kids, which will be much more valuable to them in life.

I've just got one more thing to say about this transferring stuff.... If a kid decides he wants to go play for somebody else....that's one thing....

But, if he's coerced or "recruited"....that's a totally different ballgame....and it's totally wrong and unethical. I'm not saying this is happening....just differentiating between the two.

From the VHSL handbook:

Eligibility Rules

Recruiting is strictly prohibited by the VHSL as it is in all public high school sports throughout the country. A player must play in the school district in which he or she lives and cannot transfer schools simply to participate in football.

"Under no circumstances can a family or student participant have two residences for

eligibility purposes. It is the obligation of the school to know the complete residence status

of each student participant and to see that all comply with these requirements. Any change

in residence must be bona fi de. Determination of what constitutes a bona fi de change of

residence depends upon the facts of each case, but in order for a change of residence to

be considered bona fi de at least the following facts must exist: (1) The original residence

must be abandoned as a residence; that is sold, rented or disposed of as a residence, and

must not be used as a residence by any member of the family, (2) The entire family must

make the change and take with them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the

circumstances, and (3) The change must be made with the intent that it is permanent."

Here's a link to the handbook, if you want to download it and read all of the eligibility rules for yourselves.... it's all in section 28...

If you are not insinuating it then why are you saying anything about it at all? That is a oxymoron.

From the VHSL handbook:

Eligibility Rules

And BOOM goes the dynamite...

If you are not insinuating it then why are you saying anything about it at all? That is a oxymoron.

I don't understand why you would be offended... just stating that there is a difference between a kid switching schools and being recruited...and I stated the VHSL rules... and left them there to be looked at, if anybody would like.

I would think that it would be unethical of a coach to recruit....and of a family to switch schools only to play football....that's all.... Do you disagree? If so...I'd like to know your reasons for disagreeing. It's pretty cut and dry to me, right there in the rulebook.

I did say..."I'm not saying this is happening"...

Edited by futbolking

Guest king kone
I don't understand why you would be offended... just stating that there is a difference between a kid switching schools and being recruited...and I stated the VHSL rules... and left them there to be looked at, if anybody would like.

I would think that it would be unethical of a coach to recruit....and of a family to switch schools only to play football....that's all.... Do you disagree? If so...I'd like to know your reasons for disagreeing. It's pretty cut and dry to me, right there in the rulebook.

I try not to get in other families business.

I don't think it should be called recruiting, it should be called initiating a competition for a better fit at qb...

Maybe its just me but,

I dont have a problem with kids switching schools just for athletic reasons before they begin, as long as they do it before high school(8th grade). At that point imo you have made a commitment to you school, community and teammates.

• 2 weeks later...

The transfer of high school kids to other schools is an epidemic not only locally, but nationally. It's happening everywhere. There is hardly a day goes by when you don't hear about some "superstar" kid in the Tidewater transferring to "School X" to play football. Never heard of such happening back in my day.

Back when I was at Graham, Coaches Carlock, Sizemore, Kinser, Rohrer, etc were tough, and I do mean tough. They were fair in their toughness though, and if you weren't good enough to start then you didn't start. Very few quit though because we all respected the way they conducted themselves on and off the field. Heck, I even remember seeing one of the coaches take down one of the players in the GHS gym because the kid back-talked him. No suits were filed, no attorneys contacted, and that was the last time the kid ever back-talked. Kids now days have a sense of entitlement that most of the time isn't earned. I could never imagine me or anyone else I knew at the time transferring to Bluefield, Tazewell, or Richlands. We had too much pride in our school and community, and respected the heck out of our coaches....who, like I said, were very tough but also very fair. I actually saw one of my old coaches a few months ago for the first time in many, many years. He came up to me and started talking and before we parted ways I made a point of thanking him not for his coaching prowess, but helping prepare me to become the person I am today. Reflecting back, I think they were more of a father-figure to me than coach, and that's something that I didn't take away from that entire experience until later in life.

Edited by Graham-VT Fan

• 3 weeks later...

HERE IS MY 2 CENTS

To all Current and Future Student Athletes

I myself bleed Cardinal and Gold, It's a thing that you grow to love, that you earn through hard work and determination. It's not given and I believe that is what today's young men at Graham have grown away from. Just because you have a coach that is trying to improve you as a player and a person doesnt' mean that he doesn't like you any less than the next person. Think about it this way, when some of you graduate and don't go to college, your forced to get a job and at that job you have to work hard to keep it, mommy and daddy can't come help you when the boss man gets mad at you. Another thing PARENTS let this man do his job, he is there to teach, not only the game of football but the game of life. I have never met Coach Williams but i completly agree with what he is doing for that program, he isn't taking kids away from other sports, actually he is doing parents a favor and making sure there kids stay out of trouble by keeping them in various sports plus his strength and conditioning program, Think of it this way, this man walked into a horrbile situation where there was no discipline, where weight conditioning was a joke and he is giving his all to put his players in the best situation to win, Thats right he is a coach and his job is to put players in the best situauon to win a ball game, not to play little tommy because his daddy gave more money to the boosters, but to play the players that have shown him 110 percent. AND FINALLLY

It has been 1 yr. give this guy a break, he's doing the best he can with the hand he was given. Players step up, buy into his program and support your coach, your community and your school. A G-man isn't afraid of a little lightning,or squishy faced bull dogs, Remember where that G-star came from, remember who wore it before you. Remember the teams, the coaches, the 10,000 people in August. Remember it boys because it doesn't last long and before you know it your some old man on the internet wishing you had a coach half as dedicated as the one you boys have