2012 expectations

redtiger

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how the kids that came up from Graham Middle are doing,any players in that group?

Quite a few players in that group...but they'll need a couple of years...most of them are lifting and participating, from what I hear....

I am surprised that there are 25 responses to this topic and zero are about Richlands.

Is it because it is a given that they will be good or is the subject avoided because expectations are low? Or is it that nobody has a clue?

I am surprised that there are 25 responses to this topic and zero are about Richlands.

Is it because it is a given that they will be good or is the subject avoided because expectations are low? Or is it that nobody has a clue?

As a Richlands fan, I will give my 2 cents worth of opinion. :)

I think Richlands will be good. When you lose a player like Devon Johnson, you will not replace him but the offensive backfield will do fine with Staten RB and Eric Johnson FB and I can even see AJ Johnson being used in the backfield some. Our WR corps should be good with Todd McGlothlin, AJ Johnson, DJ Flack, etc. We lose alot of experience on the lines like T Wade, J Hess, Hunter Brown, Jeremmy McGlothlin, etc but we normally do a good job of reloading on the Lines on both sides of the ball. Looking forward to football getting started!! :)

Edited by mv91

As a Richlands fan, I will give my 2 cents worth of opinion. :)

I think Richlands will be good. When you lose a player like Devon Johnson, you will not replace him but the offensive backfield will do fine with Staten RB and Eric Johnson FB and I can even see AJ Johnson being used in the backfield some. Our WR corps should be good with Todd McGlothlin, AJ Johnson, DJ Flack, etc. We lose alot of experience on the lines like T Wade, J Hess, Hunter Brown, Jeremmy McGlothlin, etc but we normally do a good job of reloading on the Lines on both sides of the ball. Looking forward to football getting started!! :)

Totally agree with your assessment of the team......the only other thing I would add is the QB position. We lost Reese to graduation so we will be a little inexperienced there.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about the guys competing for the QB spot can give a little more insight on that.

Totally agree with your assessment of the team......the only other thing I would add is the QB position. We lost Reese to graduation so we will be a little inexperienced there.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about the guys competing for the QB spot can give a little more insight on that.

I hear that Michael Horton has been taking snaps at QB. Horton has played LB, but never QB, so i would assume that Coach Mance has something up his sleeve. I was hoping that Ben Brown would turn into his older brother this year, but i guess we will have to wait and see. Our Defense should be very good. Our WRs and Backfield should be good. But we lost alot of talent, so we will wait and see.

I was going to include info or lack thereof about the QB position just failed to do so! :)

Thanks for the replies.

I admit I know very little about what Richlands retains but I still feel like they will be the team to beat in Region IV.

It has been a two horse race for a few years now and I don't see much competition coming from Martinsville or any of the other teams this year.

Cave Spring lost Sam Wright and don't return anybody that touched the football last year so even if Richlands is 75% of what they were previously they will still be the favorites in my eyes.

Giles returns a ton of talent. The return most of the line, with Kearsley Dillion leading the way. Dillion just passed the record of strongest spartan in history. 1300 yd rusher Ethan Mitchell will move from FB to TB. He is 6'3-200lb, and I think ran a 4.5 or 6. Very athletic and explosive. A whole stable of backs will be around him, Ian Mann, Boggess, Whitlow, Mathias. The defense will be bery agressive and fast. This team will be loaded, and will go far if they stay as a team and work hard.

Not trying to be a smart@$$ or anything but how did Giles do last season? I honestly cant remember.

Dillion sounds like the prototypical Giles TB; big, tall and explosive. You mentioned that he is now the strongest Spartan in history, what are his #s?

I'll go out on a limb and say your QB situation might not be so bad. There is a good kid coming your way. Your gain is definitely our loss.

If he is already here and taking snaps he has a long long way to go.. I haven't seen Horton the past few days (maybe vacation) but he looks to be the best of the three. Linemen?????

I was going to include info or lack thereof about the QB position just failed to do so! :)

Thing about QB one must remember these coaches know how to develop them. May start out in learning mode but by seasons end should be exceptional. Hope we have a good junior or workable two man rotation to get a junior some experince. Our best QBs have really shined their second year.

I'll go out on a limb and say your QB situation might not be so bad. There is a good kid coming your way. Your gain is definitely our loss.

or...it could be their loss....and our gain...depending on who you're talking about....

Will his dad still be the voice of the Gmen?

Will his dad still be the voice of the Gmen?

Lord, I hope not......

He'll never play at Richlands, unless he gets a lot tougher.......Could be a good thing for Graham to just have 1 QB instead of rotating in the 2....Sheets is tough and hard-nosed and is much more versatile player....hope it's not Sheets that we're talking about leaving.

Another question....In County Transfer...would he have to sit out a year?....and will somebody stand up and hold the TCSB responsible for enforcing their transfer rules....I'd like to see what happens with transfers this year....

Dillion is a lineman. Mitchell is the TB. Ill try and find out his #s. Just reporting from buzz around town. Giles was 10-2 last year, losing to Christiansburg, and eventual state champ Gretna in the 2nd round.

Ahhhhh... I was wondering! I thought a RB that is the strongest player ever at a program like Giles, kid must be a monster! Dont know how I messed that one up? Mitchell has really good size though.

Another question....In County Transfer...would he have to sit out a year?....and will somebody stand up and hold the TCSB responsible for enforcing their transfer rules....I'd like to see what happens with transfers this year....

I'm curious, too, because if the TCSB suddenly starts applying it after not doing so for years, that opens up a big, big can of worms if a parent really wanted to push it...

I hear that Michael Horton has been taking snaps at QB. Horton has played LB, but never QB, so i would assume that Coach Mance has something up his sleeve. I was hoping that Ben Brown would turn into his older brother this year, but i guess we will have to wait and see. Our Defense should be very good. Our WRs and Backfield should be good. But we lost alot of talent, so we will wait and see.

I heard the same thing about Horton taking snaps at QB, which does worry me a little. Not because i don't have any confidence in him except the lack of experience, but I too was hoping for the 2nd coming of a Brown, but from what I have seen of Ben B, he's a good athlete with all the tools, but he seems a little like a deer in the headlights type of thing at times.

But kids usually make a pretty good leap from one year to the next and he may still do that. With the talent we should have in the backfield and if we can fill the O-line spots that we lost, then we should be able to run the ball pretty effectively ! Should have some power and speed in the backfield.

The D should be stout as well.

I haven't heard anything about a transfer coming down from Graham, but i have been down with my back and knees and haven't got to talk to some of my friends that know a little about whats going on with the program. I just haven't been able to keep up with it as well this year.

I did hear about someone MIGHT be coming from Tazewell, but I don't even know if that's true. You hear all kinds of stuff this time of the year !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

• 2 weeks later...

I think what it is, is that with the program Richlands has everyone expects them to have a quality team. Not speaking for everyone else but I feel that we will field a quality team but not sure how good we will be this year. We lost alot of talent so who knows how the younger guys will step up. Could be a 10-0 season or a 7-3 season just will have to wait and see. In any case, just hope that history keeps repeating itself.

I think what it is, is that with the program Richlands has everyone expects them to have a quality team. Not speaking for everyone else but I feel that we will field a quality team but not sure how good we will be this year. We lost alot of talent so who knows how the younger guys will step up. Could be a 10-0 season or a 7-3 season just will have to wait and see. In any case, just hope that history keeps repeating itself.

Not you on here again? Figured it was time for you start it up! Welcome back from the winter hibernation!

I heard the same thing about Horton taking snaps at QB, which does worry me a little. Not because i don't have any confidence in him except the lack of experience, but I too was hoping for the 2nd coming of a Brown, but from what I have seen of Ben B, he's a good athlete with all the tools, but he seems a little like a deer in the headlights type of thing at times.

But kids usually make a pretty good leap from one year to the next and he may still do that. With the talent we should have in the backfield and if we can fill the O-line spots that we lost, then we should be able to run the ball pretty effectively ! Should have some power and speed in the backfield.

The D should be stout as well.

I haven't heard anything about a transfer coming down from Graham, but i have been down with my back and knees and haven't got to talk to some of my friends that know a little about whats going on with the program. I just haven't been able to keep up with it as well this year.

I did hear about someone MIGHT be coming from Tazewell, but I don't even know if that's true. You hear all kinds of stuff this time of the year !

I don't think McCann is coming down, by what I have been told, heard he was gonna stay at Tazewell, but wasn't for sure he was gonna play football... (that's just hear say) And the Davis kid will be back in the Kelly Green head gear!