Rivalry History

stu_bean

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Because the first three words in the title are "Tazewell County Football".

The book should be titled "The County's Rivalry" or something more majestic and accurate.

This is a documentary not a book. It is titled "Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Tazewell County Football, Richlands vs. Tazewell". A second version of the DVD cover will be made titled "Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Tazewell County Football, Tazewell vs. Richlands".

556882_10150860395888583_1251436692_n.jpg

I understand and knew when I started on this project that the topic of "Why isn't Graham included in this?" would come about. But they are not included, two fold actually, because Graham has their own rivalry with Bluefield. I felt the main reason to showcase the Tazewell/Richlands rivalry was due to the Bluefield/Graham getting all of the hype and hoopla within the county and the region for that matter. Granted, Graham is a part of Tazewell County but this documentary and this stories main focus is on the Richlands vs. Tazewell rivalry. It has nothing to do with the G-men even though they are in the county.

Edited by SmeltzerThePhotog

I dont know if any rivalry can touch Powell Valley-Appalachia. Unless its Powell Valley-Gate City, or Appalachia-Gate City. I know we are moving forward, but looking back, 14 state titles between PV-Appy, and only 2 miles separate the towns. Its just a matter of time until the get it together in the Gap.

Granite, Graham is a part of Tazewell County but this documentary and this stories main focus is on the Richlands vs. Tazewell rivalry. It has nothing to do with the G-men even though they are in the county.

Granite? Yep, hard as a rock...

Hope you have a good editor...

This is a documentary not a book. It is titled "Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Tazewell County Football, Richlands vs. Tazewell". A second version of the DVD cover will be made titled "Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Tazewell County Football, Tazewell vs. Richlands".

I understand and knew when I started on this project that the topic of "Why isn't Graham included in this?" would come about. But they are not included, two fold actually, because Graham has their own rivalry with Bluefield. I felt the main reason to showcase the Tazewell/Richlands rivalry was due to the Bluefield/Graham getting all of the hype and hoopla within the county and the region for that matter. Granite, Graham is a part of Tazewell County but this documentary and this stories main focus is on the Richlands vs. Tazewell rivalry. It has nothing to do with the G-men even though they are in the county.

Whether it's a book or documentary (not even mutually exclusive) is a collateral matter and doesn't in the least alter the tenor of my argument. The title is clearly misleading, even laughable, when (1) there are currently three high school football teams in Tazewell County, (2) only two of those teams are profiled, and (3) the one with the most history and tradition is the one not profiled.

I'm trying not to judge a work by it's cover. I appreciate the time and effort put into making the documentary. I am even glad to see some other rivalry than Graham-Beaver receiving attention. The work on the cover is more intricate than I would've expected. I'll even watch it. It's probably a solid, accurate work. Don't get me wrong here.

But the title? It's an egregious misnomer that really should be changed.

Whether it's a book or documentary (not even mutually exclusive) is a collateral matter and doesn't in the least alter the tenor of my argument. The title is clearly misleading, even laughable, when (1) there are currently three high school football teams in Tazewell County, (2) only two of those teams are profiled, and (3) the one with the most history and tradition is the one not profiled.

I'm trying not to judge a work by it's cover. I appreciate the time and effort put into making the documentary. I am even glad to see some other rivalry than Graham-Beaver receiving attention. The work on the cover is more intricate than I would've expected. I'll even watch it. It's probably a solid, accurate work. Don't get me wrong here.

But the title? It's an egregious misnomer that really should be changed.

What if it said "Volume 1" and a follow-up included Graham?

(3) the one with the most history and tradition is the one not profiled.

I can understand that honestly, but like everyone has said they have Bluefield, which the Tazewell vs. Richlands rivalry cannot touch as far as which one has more tradition and signifigance, so I think its fair to say to let the blues and bulldogs have their own day in the spotlight, and maybe later down the road there will be a Tazewell County Football Graham vs Tazewell or Richlands edition. If it were Graham and Tazewell in the film I would still be proud to say hey I'm glad they made a film about Tazewell county football.

I can understand that honestly, but like everyone has said they have Bluefield, which the Tazewell vs. Richlands rivalry cannot touch as far as which one has more tradition and signifigance, so I think its fair to say to let the blues and bulldogs have their own day in the spotlight, and maybe later down the road there will be a Tazewell County Football Graham vs Tazewell or Richlands edition. If it were Graham and Tazewell in the film I would still be proud to say hey I'm glad they made a film about Tazewell county football.

another thing is if you look at tazewell county football you will find that graham tazewell and graham richlands have been very big games in the county because these schools are very close and over the years bring many fans to the games. i even remember a game with graham tazewell where tazewell tried a very long field goal late in the game to try and break the graham winning streak and unscored upon streak it was a big game for tazewell. this being said tazewell richlands is a big rivalry but so is the others mentioned here. there is more than one big game for tazewell county high schools within the county. so like some have said using tazewell county highschool and leaving out the other school is a bit misleading to those who are not from this area. i hope this film does good.

If it were Graham and Tazewell in the film I would still be proud to say hey I'm glad they made a film about Tazewell county football.

Not me. If it left out Richlands I would be screaming foul at the top of my lungs. The title of the book is inappropriate. You can't have a book entitled "Tazewell County Football" without including Graham, Tazewell and Richlands. That's asinine.

another thing is if you look at tazewell county football you will find that graham tazewell and graham richlands have been very big games in the county because these schools are very close and over the years bring many fans to the games. i even remember a game with graham tazewell where tazewell tried a very long field goal late in the game to try and break the graham winning streak and unscored upon streak it was a big game for tazewell. this being said tazewell richlands is a big rivalry but so is the others mentioned here. there is more than one big game for tazewell county high schools within the county. so like some have said using tazewell county highschool and leaving out the other school is a bit misleading to those who are not from this area. i hope this film does good.

The film has Richlands vs Tazewell in the title. There is nothing misleading about that. The title is "Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Tazewell County Football, Tazewell vs. Richlands". So it has the schools in it.

The film has Richlands vs Tazewell in the title. There is nothing misleading about that. The title is "Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Tazewell County Football, Tazewell vs. Richlands". So it has the schools in it.

what are the high schools in TAZEWELL county

Not me. If it left out Richlands I would be screaming foul at the top of my lungs. The title of the book is inappropriate. You can't have a book entitled "Tazewell County Football" without including Graham, Tazewell and Richlands. That's asinine.

Guess it's a good thing it's not a book, Hmm......

Small Town Tradition, Big Time Atmosphere: Central and Western Tazewell County Football, Tazewell vs. Richlands

Hows that?

The title is fine with what it is, just like everything else in this world, either you like it or you don't..... I think my good friend has done a fine job on this project....

The title is fine with what it is, just like everything else in this world, either you like it or you don't..... I think my good friend has done a fine job on this project....

The title reads like there are only two teams in Tazewell County. So you're right. You either like it or you don't. I don't like it. My opinion. You're entitled to yours.

Glad I'm not alone in believing this.

What if it said "Volume 1" and a follow-up included Graham?

If it did, then I'd be tickled.

Edited by UVAObserver