Word is...

GMan

the VHSL may be sniffing out "transfers" in SWVA...just what I heard...coaches, players, and parents better have their T's crossed before they get their I's dotted....

I didn't say any school in particular. But the fact is, the VHSL is looking into several "transfers" (more than one) at schools (more than one) in SWVA. For all I know, they may be looking at Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Gate City, Radford, George Wythe, Castlewood, Eastside, Clintwood, Haysi, etc...any or all of them. All ADs and coaches need to make sure the players on their rosters are bonafide as far as the VHSL transfer rules are concerned...

lol! you bums just wont let it go.I know for a fact you have one or more players on your roster that should be playing for the Beavers this year.

You may be right...then again, you shouldn't be calling the pot black, Mr. Kettle...

It sometimes only takes a gentle breeze to fell a house of cards...

You may be right...then again, you shouldn't be calling the pot black, Mr. Kettle...

It sometimes only takes a gentle breeze to fell a house of cards...

You are correct about that! Good luck to the G-Men!

I didn't say any school in particular. But the fact is, the VHSL is looking into several "transfers" (more than one) at schools (more than one) in SWVA. For all I know, they may be looking at Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Gate City, Radford, George Wythe, Castlewood, Eastside, Clintwood, Haysi, etc...any or all of them. All ADs and coaches need to make sure the players on their rosters are bonafide as far as the VHSL transfer rules are concerned...

I wonder who it is? Hmmmmmmm.

lol! you bums just wont let it go.I know for a fact you have one or more players on your roster that should be playing for the Beavers this year.

Hint, its not you guys. And its not us either.......

I don't think this is limited to SW Virginia by a long shot. And the problem in God's Country pales in comparison to other areas of the Commonwealth. IMO, this issue is probably most significant in the Shenandoah Valley where there is a mix of various public school systems and several prominent private programs in close proximity to one another.

Bottom line hypothetical.... There is no way that the VHSL could justify hammering any school in Southwest Virginia without doing the same thing to R.E. Lee-Staunton.

I don't think this is limited to SW Virginia by a long shot. And the problem in God's Country pales in comparison to other areas of the Commonwealth. IMO, this issue is probably most significant in the Shenandoah Valley where there is a mix of various public school systems and several prominent private programs in close proximity to one another.

Bottom line hypothetical.... There is no way that the VHSL could justify hammering any school in Southwest Virginia without doing the same thing to R.E. Lee-Staunton.

Truth.

They need to take a good look at Va High. They recruit heavily and don't even try to hide it anymore. I have a friend whose daughter plays softball for VA High. I ran into him towards the end of the season this past May and joking asked him who they were recruiting for next year. He told me that Va High's coach was recruiting 3 girls from Tennesse High and 2 girls from Wallace Middle School ( the John Batte feeder school). Haven't heard the final outcome of the Tennessee High girls, but the 2 from Battle will be at VA High next year.

Having given this a little more thought, I think this "looking into" business is a complete red herring.

There are 130-something public school divisions within Virginia and they are pretty autonomous. Specifically, the rules regarding transfers are the domain of each individual school system and some have pretty liberal zone attendance policies. In Bedford County, for example, students can attend absolutely any school of their choosing as long as they have their own transportation.

My prediction is that the VHSL isn't going to do much of anything -- mainly because the organization has little or no authority to do so. And to the extent that someone in Charlottesville said that they are "looking into" the issue, they probably gave that stock answer to brush someone off.

Having given this a little more thought, I think this "looking into" business is a complete red herring.

There are 130-something public school divisions within Virginia and they are pretty autonomous. Specifically, the rules regarding transfers are the domain of each individual school system and some have pretty liberal zone attendance policies. In Bedford County, for example, students can attend absolutely any school of their choosing as long as they have their own transportation.

My prediction is that the VHSL isn't going to do much of anything -- mainly because the organization has little or no authority to do so. And to the extent that someone in Charlottesville said that they are "looking into" the issue, they probably gave that stock answer to brush someone off.

Then why does the VHSL have rules regarding recruiting in their By-Law/Policy manual???

Maybe someone blew the whistle on another team and the VHSL is looking to see what's going on. They do check into things when they are brought to their attention...just ask Pulaski Co. about that...

Then why does the VHSL have rules regarding recruiting in their By-Law/Policy manual???

Maybe someone blew the whistle on another team and the VHSL is looking to see what's going on. They do check into things when they are brought to their attention...just ask Pulaski Co. about that...

Page 70-74 of the VHSL manual. BUT...only one mention of "recruiting" per se (foreign exchange students). Easily manipulated...

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/pub-handbook-2012-13.pdf

Edited by UVAObserver

Maybe someone blew the whistle on another team and the VHSL is looking to see what's going on. They do check into things when they are brought to their attention...just ask Pulaski Co.....

Rules regarding recruiting are probably to promote the legitimacy of amateur competition overseen by the VHSL. I'm sure that there are several statements within VHSL policies that are related to intent, but they are difficult to execute. When (and perhaps more importantly _how_) have those rules ever been enforced by the VHSL?

My understanding is that Pulaski was busted for practicing outside of the appropriate dates. That kind of oversight is easily within the purview of the VHSL.

I'm not trying to be contrary here. I'm of the opinion that recruiting is a big problem in Virginia high school athletics. However, given my view of the system itself, I don't know that there is much that the VHSL can do about it.

Pulaski was not techically "busted" by the VHSL.

They self-reported the incident to the VHSL because a tape was floating around the River Ridge District that showed out of season drills being conducted.

The VHSL does not have an enforcement branch. They rely on self reporting.

I would expect that someone has called them in reference to recruiting but unless an administrator turns in their own staff I doubt we will hear anything more than rumors.

Pulaski was not techically "busted" by the VHSL.

They self-reported the incident to the VHSL because a tape was floating around the River Ridge District that showed out of season drills being conducted.

The VHSL does not have an enforcement branch. They rely on self reporting.

I would expect that someone has called them in reference to recruiting but unless an administrator turns in their own staff I doubt we will hear anything more than rumors.

this is correct...and actually led to new rules that now allow year round participation.

Maybe the VHSL will embrace the art of recruiting next lol.

this is correct...and actually led to new rules that now allow year round participation.

Maybe the VHSL will embrace the art of recruiting next lol.

Have to confess that the last sentence made me LOL. Excellent stuff, Lance!

The Pulaski episode is excellent in driving home the main point. A lot of folks tend to think of the VHSL as some kind of monolithic and highly structured organization with firmly established powers and responsibilities. The truth of the matter is that it's simply an intricate system of local committees, and at the top is little more than a "committee with oversight of other committees."

If anyone can ever figure out the exact level of authority that the VHSL possesses, it would then be wonderful to figure out exactly what happens to all of the money that is funneled into it.

Have to confess that the last sentence made me LOL. Excellent stuff, Lance!

The Pulaski episode is excellent in driving home the main point. A lot of folks tend to think of the VHSL as some kind of monolithic and highly structured organization with firmly established powers and responsibilities. The truth of the matter is that it's simply an intricate system of local committees, and at the top is little more than a "committee with oversight of other committees."

If anyone can ever figure out the exact level of authority that the VHSL possesses, it would then be wonderful to figure out exactly what happens to all of the money that is funneled into it.

That's what I am curious about. If they should find that a school around here did activly recruit a player, what would come of it? Most punishments seems to me have been self inflicted/enforced over violations.

That's what I am curious about. If they should find that a school around here did activly recruit a player, what would come of it? Most punishments seems to me have been self inflicted/enforced over violations.

That's what makes the case of Richlands in 1992-1993 even more curious. The Blues were on "probation" in 1993 -- meaning they were declared ineligible to participate in the football playoffs that season after certain events in 1992. To the best of my knowledge, Richlands is the only program in Virginia that has ever received this treatment.

That's what makes the case of Richlands in 1992-1993 even more curious. The Blues were on "probation" in 1993 -- meaning they were declared ineligible to participate in the football playoffs that season after certain events in 1992. To the best of my knowledge, Richlands is the only program in Virginia that has ever received this treatment.

BTW, did Richlands "self report" the illegal cleats???