richlands football

#1BLUESFAN

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

graham has never really been much of a passing team over the years.

Know that. In their day they were on the egde with what they did. But the edge changes and one must evolve to keep up. Good luck to the G-Men may you return to the proud program we all know is there.

Remember Bunker he was another "bad egg" from Graham. He did wonderful and had big impact on our team. You know what they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Keep throwing them out and we will keep picking them up and dusting them off. Thanks!

And you see how that's worked out for Graham. Can't be a one dimensional team.

until we lost carlock the running game with a pass now and then worked very good for ghs. when marrs took over things went down hill fast.i think with williams in a couple years ghs will return to where they were in the early 2000.

Guest king kone
No surprise at the outcome, but love the fact we take on a team like Richlands to show us where we need the most work. A lot of respect down this way for the Blue Tornado.

Didn't make it yesterday. How did we look, R-land peeps? No need for sugar coating lol

Big but slow and confused at times. Secondary got burned. Surprised that we were able to run as well as be did. Offensively you need more push at the point of attack on running plays. Quarterback looked good but could use more protection.

Bunker was wonderful and from what I can see so is Baker.In both cases not only on the field but also off the field. The same can be said for the two Codys from Tazewell a couple of years ago. If you put a kid in a good atmosphere with good leadership (coaches and seniors) with out all the politics they do very well.

They won two State Championships being "one dimensional", especially in '95...

I'm referring to something a wee bit more recent. Say maybe this century . Haha. It worked when everyone was basically a running team. Times change and graham hasn't. Period.

Big but slow and confused at times. Secondary got burned. Surprised that we were able to run as well as be did. Offensively you need more push at the point of attack on running plays. Quarterback looked good but could use more protection.

Appreciate the info. I pretty much figure we will go as far as the trenches will get us. Disappointing to hear, but at the same time, I doubt we see anyone better up front than what we dealt with yesterday...Unless we are fortunate enough to make a run late into the playoffs, and that still may not happen.

Work to do, but that's what scrims are for!

thing is if baker is not loyal to his school what makes another school think he would be loyal to them once a turn coat always a turn coat. like the saying is grass is always greener on the other side, not always.

Do you consider those players who came from Bluefield to Graham this year, and previous years, "turncoats" also? If Baker is not that good of a player, then why are you crying about him leaving?

This thread begs for so much that I won't touch. I'll only state what is known truth. When the season ended last year, Sheets was Graham's best quarterback. My personal opinion, I wish we had a whole team of Spencer Sheets'.

Amen to that....that kid is all heart.

Note to Richlands fans: Cave Spring was manhandled by Floyd in their scrimmage Friday. In years past Cave would score 10 times and hold Floyd to zero or one.

I've watched Floyd County football for a while...... Floyd owned Cave Spring when they scrimmaged for a long time with the exception of the last few years. Don't underestimate Floyd County...they have produced several state contenders in the past 15 years. It may just be a case of things getting back to normal.

Edited by futbolking

Do you consider those players who came from Bluefield to Graham this year, and previous years, "turncoats" also? If Baker is not that good of a player, then why are you crying about him leaving?

After watching Graham scrimmage today, my honest opinion is that Baker is a better fit for Richlands, Sheets is a better fit for Graham and lets leave it at that. He would not benefit Graham and he may benefit Richlands. Nobody around here is crying about him leaving. Most folks I know are proud of the team that Graham has on the field.

And you see how that's worked out for Graham. Can't be a one dimensional team.

I disagree, for example...

Shall we compare State Championships????

Graham 3

Richlands 2....err I mean 1 and 1 with an asterisk.

Being one dimensional has worked out quite well for Graham over the years.

Clintwood, Gate City and Riverheads have all won state titles in the past 5 years while running the ball 85% of the time. The Key is how are you running it.

If you are small then run the Jet Series as a base and go from there(alot of local teams are figuring this out), if youre a big team then run T, Double Wing or some form of the I. Basically fit your offense to what your teams ability/skill/size dictate.

I will say that imo the game has changed some and the threat of a passing game has to exist(even if you dont throw tha ball that much). Thats why the Wishbone/T formation offense have fallen out of favor and hybrids of those offenses are becoming popular, using Bone/T concepts but having 1 or both RBs at wing and having a WR on the field. Its D@%^ hard to come out in Wishbone Double tights and beat good teams nowadays.

All three of the teams I mentioned above used Wing Backs in their base offense

just my 2cents

I disagree, for example...

Shall we compare State Championships????

Graham 3

Richlands 2....err I mean 1 and 1 with an asterisk.

Being one dimensional has worked out quite well for Graham over the years.

To clarify I'm talking about the last 10 years or so. The graham program has went downhill fast. Real fast. I hope Williams can bring them back to the glory days. But being one dimensional nowadays won't win you state championships. Or regional crowns for that matter. I would think any football fan could realize that.

Richlands has 2 state titles. The issue was in the state semi game not the state championship.

To clarify I'm talking about the last 10 years or so. The graham program has went downhill fast. Real fast. I hope Williams can bring them back to the glory days. But being one dimensional nowadays won't win you state championships. Or regional crowns for that matter. I would think any football fan could realize that.

Richlands has 2 state titles. The issue was in the state semi game not the state championship.

He's working on it...

I think teams that are fundamentally sound can be successful at the high school level, regardless if you run from the spread or not. You can be very one dimensional and still be very succesful if you are in good condition and can block tackle and play good defense.

No one is crying about him leaving. Actually I think he could help you. My problem is the fact he is living in double gates, and going to richlands. He is there every night, he is there every morning. No matter what piece of paper his daddy has that says he's legal. That is using dual residences, and no one has the balls in this county to enforce it. You want to play there fine. Then move preacher man. I mean liar. Maybe I'll go sit in the front pew and stare at him this week.

And to clarify for those of you who don't live in Bluefield, VA... Double Gates is across from Graham High School....

Edited by futbolking

I really like to see positive posts on this site. I remember a time when Mams was the coach at GW. I believe that team beat the Blues ,but I am not sure about that. In any case all true fans should root for SW Va teams except when we play each other. Plus you folks consistency beat the DAWGS.No dis meant for the DAWGS ,except giving us some insight on the quality of their team.Best wishes for the Wave this year.