1st scrimmage results

redtiger

I watched Graham vs. WestSide and Graham vs. Central primarily....also tried to glimpse a little of Tazewell vs. Pikeview and Westside vs. Pikeview and I left before Tazewell and Central....

I would rank the teams this way....

1. Graham

2/3. Westside / Central

4. Tazewell

5.. Pikeview

Graham outscored Westside 3 td's to 1 and Central 3 td's to 1, during varsity play. Graham appears to be a little bigger, a little stronger than last season. They have solid RB's in Hatfield , Brennan and Thompson. All 3 of those RB's broke a few "good" runs. Thompson was the biggest surprise for me, he was really hard to bring down. Hess also spent some time at RB and played well.

Graham didn't do anything fancy, mostly running plays with a few QB options thrown in and they threw just a few passes, one of which was completed to freshman Bryce Farris for a TD.

I would have to say that Graham is much more fundamentally sound than the past few years...they are tackling, blocking, running their assignments better. Defensively, they are staying in their assigned areas better. Just better football overall, I would have to say. Williams really has these guys on the right track and if anybody tells you different, they are crazy.

I would have to say that Graham looks to be a "solid" team this year and they look to be ahead of where they were last year. They did nothing spectacular today, but they did nothing poorly today either.

Looking ahead to Bluefield, I would be worried about Bluefield's speed, however...Graham will match up well physically with Bluefield this year and shouldn't be pushed around the field like the past few years. Graham was smaller than WestSide and Central (both had very big lines)...but held their own and actually was getting a good push on Central's offense in the 2nd scrimmage.

Westside scored on their 1st possession against Graham, but Graham contained them well after that.

Westside and Central both have potential, they are big, strong teams with some good athletes.

Tazewell looks much improved from last year....they were lighting up the scoreboard against Pikeview (probably scored 7 or 8 td's)...I lost count...and was focusing on Graham...

WestSide scored at will against Pikeview and probably had about 10 TD's (....again....lost count and was watching Graham)

Bright spot for Pikeview was their JV....who outscored Westside's JV....

Like I said didn't stick around for Tazewell vs. Central or Graham vs. Pikeview (which was going to be mostly JV. action anyway).

Hope this info is beneficial for some of you.

Oh yeah...Sheets played very well at QB, was smart runnning the option and tucked it and ran when he had to. I was pleased....Team seems to have good chemistry and a "family" atmosphere about them, too....

I would put that Westside group and the top of all the teams that played today!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all a good day I thought.

Im just going to talk another 3 teams here. I didn't watch the 2 WVA TEAMS.

GRAHAM: Overall a very solid team. Not a lot of size but the kids where strong. Like most teams right now they aren't in complete game shape, but that will change as the days go by.

Tazwell: I was very impressed with these boys. I know they have been through a lot of Coach's. Seems the one they have now is a real good thing. The Qb and 20 and 21 are going to give teams havoc. All three of these kids very impressive.

Central: As the day went we did better. Have some things that need to be worked out, but that is what these games are for. We had one that didn't suit up and it would have been nice to have him out there. Had a few starters get banged up too. The young kids are going to have to grow up and do it fast. Things will be fine.

Good luck to all theses young men!!!

Like someone has already mentioned, Pulaski County looked really good.

Gate City........did not look like Gate City. Probably the smallest & slowest GC team I have ever seen. Didn't look like we have anyone who wants to hit. I'm afraid it is going to be a LONG year.

Ouch... you were right....

From Cougarfootball.net ...

Cougars Aggressive and Tough in First Scrimmage

by

David Gravely

In the final game of the 2011 football season, Pulaski County Head Coach Todd Jones put together an offensive line that he thought would get the job done in that game, and possibly for some time to come.

He was right.

After an off season in the weight room and a solid preseason of work, the Cougar offensive AND defensive line was by far the story of the night as they showed a level of improvement that can certainly give Cougar fans hope for the season. They were fast, they were aggressive, and they were physical.

Offensively the line did exactly what you would want to see them do....they opened up holes and they blocked well. Many times the Gate City defenders found themselves being driven back, driven out, and driven down as the Cougar linemen did a fine job of giving the Pulaski running backs room to move.

Oh, and how those running backs did move.

Keeping in mind that this was just a scrimmage......and keeping in mind that what happens in a scrimmage is NOT always an indicator of what would or could happen in a game.....Pulaski County ran the ball 63 times for 807 yards with 11 different players running the ball. That's a 12.8 yard per carry average. Out of those 11 players, six different players score touchdowns running the ball. Senior Keante Houston led the attack with 7 carries for 194 yards and 2 touchdowns. Senior Marcus McClanahan followed close behind with 15 carries for 175 yards and 2 touchdowns, and junior Quincy Rollins was the third Cougar back to top the 100 yard mark with 12 carries for 126 yards and a TD. Brandon Jones added 86 yards on 4 carries. Zack Akers would have topped the 100 yard mark had a long run not been called back due to a penalty, but he still finished with 8 carries for 85 yards and a score. Tanner Alley only carried the rock twice on the night, but the speedy senior added 58 yards and a touchdown to the scoreboard. Sophomore quarterback Jesse Draper carried the ball 5 times for 28 yards and a touchdown, while junior quarterback Marcus Johnston carried 6 times for 25 yards. Senior Corey Dobbins carried the ball twice for 11 yards, and Justin Ball had one carry for 9 yards. You can also add in a fumble recovered by lineman Bret Smith, who proceeded to go back to his middle school days where he played fullback and carried the ball ten yards before getting taken down.

The Cougars attacked through the air as well, completing a total of 11 out of 21 passes for 226 yards and an interception. Johnston took the starting role, going 9 of 15 for 124 yards. He completed passes to four different receivers, and touchdown passes to three. Draper finished the night 2 of 5 for 102 yards and one interception. Junior Tyler Ervine led the receivers with 2 catches for 102 yards and a TD. Akers caught 4 passes for 52 yards and 2 touchdowns, and McClanahan caught 2 passes for 36 yards and a score. Codie Blevins rounded out the Cougars receivers from his tight end spot, catching 2 passes for 36 yards.

In case you're counting, that was 84 offensive plays for 1,033 yards.

Defensively the Cougars held Gate City to 2 touchdowns on the night, with the starters giving up one score and the backups giving up one. Gate City rushed the ball 41 times for 169 yards, a 4.12 yard per carry average. Gate City passed the ball 15 times, completing 7 for 100 yards. The Cougars intercepted 3 Gate City passes, with Houston, Jacob Tabor, and Brandon Jones each getting one pick. Houston returned his interception for 75 yards and a touchdown.

The Cougars scored a total of 13 touchdowns on the day, and allowed two touchdowns and a two point conversion. Sophomore kicker Shane Chrisley split the uprights on every kick he attempted. If Pulaski had kicked after every touchdown they scored, that would have put the final at PC 91 Gate City 15.

On the negative side, there were still some things that the Cougars need to fix. Pulaski County was called for 14 penalties on the day, and during those calls three additional touchdowns and several big plays were called back.

"I was happy with the way we played tonight, but we know we've still got alot of work to do" said Coach Jones. "I thought our kids played well together today, and they worked hard at doing their jobs and their part for the team. Our linemen opened up some holes for us, and I also thought our backs blocked well for each other. Defensively we flowed to the ball well, and we read our keys the way we wanted too. I was happy with the physical way we played too. We know we've still got work to do, but this was a good start for us."

The Cougars will get back to work right away, and will be back in action on Friday, August 17, as they host Giles in a foundation game.

Ouch... you were right....

From Cougarfootball.net ...

Cougars Aggressive and Tough in First Scrimmage

by

David Gravely

In the final game of the 2011 football season, Pulaski County Head Coach Todd Jones put together an offensive line that he thought would get the job done in that game, and possibly for some time to come.

He was right.

After an off season in the weight room and a solid preseason of work, the Cougar offensive AND defensive line was by far the story of the night as they showed a level of improvement that can certainly give Cougar fans hope for the season. They were fast, they were aggressive, and they were physical.

Offensively the line did exactly what you would want to see them do....they opened up holes and they blocked well. Many times the Gate City defenders found themselves being driven back, driven out, and driven down as the Cougar linemen did a fine job of giving the Pulaski running backs room to move.

Oh, and how those running backs did move.

Keeping in mind that this was just a scrimmage......and keeping in mind that what happens in a scrimmage is NOT always an indicator of what would or could happen in a game.....Pulaski County ran the ball 63 times for 807 yards with 11 different players running the ball. That's a 12.8 yard per carry average. Out of those 11 players, six different players score touchdowns running the ball. Senior Keante Houston led the attack with 7 carries for 194 yards and 2 touchdowns. Senior Marcus McClanahan followed close behind with 15 carries for 175 yards and 2 touchdowns, and junior Quincy Rollins was the third Cougar back to top the 100 yard mark with 12 carries for 126 yards and a TD. Brandon Jones added 86 yards on 4 carries. Zack Akers would have topped the 100 yard mark had a long run not been called back due to a penalty, but he still finished with 8 carries for 85 yards and a score. Tanner Alley only carried the rock twice on the night, but the speedy senior added 58 yards and a touchdown to the scoreboard. Sophomore quarterback Jesse Draper carried the ball 5 times for 28 yards and a touchdown, while junior quarterback Marcus Johnston carried 6 times for 25 yards. Senior Corey Dobbins carried the ball twice for 11 yards, and Justin Ball had one carry for 9 yards. You can also add in a fumble recovered by lineman Bret Smith, who proceeded to go back to his middle school days where he played fullback and carried the ball ten yards before getting taken down.

The Cougars attacked through the air as well, completing a total of 11 out of 21 passes for 226 yards and an interception. Johnston took the starting role, going 9 of 15 for 124 yards. He completed passes to four different receivers, and touchdown passes to three. Draper finished the night 2 of 5 for 102 yards and one interception. Junior Tyler Ervine led the receivers with 2 catches for 102 yards and a TD. Akers caught 4 passes for 52 yards and 2 touchdowns, and McClanahan caught 2 passes for 36 yards and a score. Codie Blevins rounded out the Cougars receivers from his tight end spot, catching 2 passes for 36 yards.

In case you're counting, that was 84 offensive plays for 1,033 yards.

Defensively the Cougars held Gate City to 2 touchdowns on the night, with the starters giving up one score and the backups giving up one. Gate City rushed the ball 41 times for 169 yards, a 4.12 yard per carry average. Gate City passed the ball 15 times, completing 7 for 100 yards. The Cougars intercepted 3 Gate City passes, with Houston, Jacob Tabor, and Brandon Jones each getting one pick. Houston returned his interception for 75 yards and a touchdown.

The Cougars scored a total of 13 touchdowns on the day, and allowed two touchdowns and a two point conversion. Sophomore kicker Shane Chrisley split the uprights on every kick he attempted. If Pulaski had kicked after every touchdown they scored, that would have put the final at PC 91 Gate City 15.

On the negative side, there were still some things that the Cougars need to fix. Pulaski County was called for 14 penalties on the day, and during those calls three additional touchdowns and several big plays were called back.

"I was happy with the way we played tonight, but we know we've still got alot of work to do" said Coach Jones. "I thought our kids played well together today, and they worked hard at doing their jobs and their part for the team. Our linemen opened up some holes for us, and I also thought our backs blocked well for each other. Defensively we flowed to the ball well, and we read our keys the way we wanted too. I was happy with the physical way we played too. We know we've still got work to do, but this was a good start for us."

The Cougars will get back to work right away, and will be back in action on Friday, August 17, as they host Giles in a foundation game.

Those stats are crazy!!!!

Battle scrimmaged Sullivan Central today and did really well, especially on defense. Our JV looked like they needed a little work, but they had to play Central's varsity (they didn't bring their JV for some reason). I think a better preseason indicator though will be next week when we play Fort Chiswell in our benefit game.

If you will notice, the offensive snaps for Pulaski was much higher than for GC. For about the last 30 minutes or so, GC remained on defense, and Pulaski stayed on O the entire time. GC was wanting to focus on that side of the ball. Pulaski did look very good for the first scrimmage of the year.

All in all a good day I thought.

Im just going to talk another 3 teams here. I didn't watch the 2 WVA TEAMS.

GRAHAM: Overall a very solid team. Not a lot of size but the kids where strong. Like most teams right now they aren't in complete game shape, but that will change as the days go by.

Tazwell: I was very impressed with these boys. I know they have been through a lot of Coach's. Seems the one they have now is a real good thing. The Qb and 20 and 21 are going to give teams havoc. All three of these kids very impressive.

Central: As the day went we did better. Have some things that need to be worked out, but that is what these games are for. We had one that didn't suit up and it would have been nice to have him out there. Had a few starters get banged up too. The young kids are going to have to grow up and do it fast. Things will be fine.

Good luck to all theses young men!!!

You guys have a good squad! Hate to see that one RB, I think get hurt against Graham... If Tazewell contuies to work hard they may just surprise a few teams! They used McCann and Milkia (spelling) at qb they both looked good.. I was impressed with the holes that the o-line was opening up..... All in all, was a great day to watch football and there was plenty of it going on!

If you will notice, the offensive snaps for Pulaski was much higher than for GC. For about the last 30 minutes or so, GC remained on defense, and Pulaski stayed on O the entire time. GC was wanting to focus on that side of the ball. Pulaski did look very good for the first scrimmage of the year.

I did notice that, but still 12.3 yards per snap is pretty impressive.

But GC isn't what they used to be!

any results or info from the grundy scrimmages?

grundy beat rye cove something like 6 to 1 ...RC had negative 12 yards on the first first 10 plays and Grundy scored twice in the first 10 plays...Grundy didn't really show much, just stuck to the basics.

second game against northwood ended up tied at 1...Grundy threw an INT with a minute or so left to go that was run back for a TD to tie it.

Grundy has a lot to work on, but they look to me like they are way ahead of where they were at this point last year. Both QB's look pretty good, but they just need some time and experience...they look to be pretty well loaded at RB again, and the line played pretty well over all but needs to get a little more inspired...don't know if it was the heat or what but they seemed a little laid back for some reason? I dunno...a lot of kids were cramping and it was pretty hot down on the field.

Overall...pretty good showing for the first time out...I was impressed with what i saw...but, still a few things to work out here and there...as to be expected.

You guys have a good squad! Hate to see that one RB, I think get hurt against Graham... If Tazewell contuies to work hard they may just surprise a few teams! They used McCann and Milkia (spelling) at qb they both looked good.. I was impressed with the holes that the o-line was opening up..... All in all, was a great day to watch football and there was plenty of it going on!

Yeah he twisted a ankle, didn't have his braces on. He learned his lesson. Our starting middle linebacker didn't play and it made a big difference too.

I believe we will be ok. Found out what we to address. That's what I like about these type of games. You always find out your weak spots.

There is no doubt you guys will surprise some teams.

GC's 4 RB's who will play are all soph's (i think) they are starting a Freshman at center, the QB is a 3yr starter and the 2nd string QB is very good. Lost 14 starters from last year's team. 2 linemen have great experience. Add all that to a killer schedule as usual, starting with Rchlands, @Harlan Co., @Bluefield, @Sullivan South, Union, and Clintwood plus the CMD schedule in a definate rebuilding year things may be ugly at least early on. Some of our best teams have been the 2 yrs after a team like this took their lumps. With that said, GC is GC and we are well coached and the kids will give all they've got. I can honestly say i don't know how this year will go, with the exception of Harlan Co. all those other teams on the schedule are down somewhat from last year in my opinion. No one in the CMD scares me on paper, the Devils could still win the district.

Try not to read too much into a scrimmage, Pulaski may be one of the most improved teams from last year as they lost several close games. I think Todd was looking to make a statement also.

Gate City is leaps and bounds above Tazewell. Always have been always will be.

It's called tradition!

Never said they were, and don't quite understand how you determined that from what I said..... I was referring to the GC vs PC scrimmage! So get over your self!

I watched the Graham grid. It looked like Graham was good sized but team speed was very slow at best.I would say Graham and Tazewell about even. Westide next, with Pikeview being really bad.

Abingdon looks to be in mid season form.

Fort Chiswell scored 10 times Abingdon scored 2 times.

i feel bad for those kids. They need a coach and new people in the front office.

Guest king kone
Abingdon looks to be in mid season form.

Fort Chiswell scored 10 times Abingdon scored 2 times.

Where is Southbound?