Virginia High Jamboree

futbolking

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep...i was there...thought Grundy played pretty well.

Playing back to back like that, Union came out and was able to run it down Grundy's throat with fresh legs...by the end of the 2nd quarter which was Grundy's 4th Q though, things had pretty much evened out and Grundy scored to make it 14-7...sounds like Union continued to slow down against Gate City after that as well since it was a 6-0 game...Grundy pretty much handled Gate City tonight I thought. Just a scrimmage, but it was a good gut check for Grundy, especially the line, and I thought that they handled it pretty well.

Fun games to watch, way too many flags...refs need to keep that stuff in the pocket and let them play a little more...some of the stuff they were calling all day was kinda minor I thought...just my opinion....other side of that is, it's good to get that sort of stuff worked out now before the season starts...so...either way. Just sucked to see Grundy 2nd down and 1 and end up 2nd and 21 before a play was even ran? i dunno...

Some hard hits, nice runs, good passes...we go live next week! Football is finally back.

By the way...start the push for the Mutter kid to be All State...he dropped about a 90 yard punt tonight...no kidding.

I only caught the last 3 games and Union impressed me most. A good power run game and tight defense tonight by the Bears. 0 points allowed by the first string defense and a ton of rushing yards on offense. I hope the teams will be able to focus on their weak spots this week before the opening games. Go Bears!

Two ways to look at the flag situation. 1. Let the kids play. 2. Gt it called in a jamboree and maybe learn from it so it doesn't happen when it matters.

Sometimes it depends on the type of flag IMO.

That's what i was saying...kinda the long and short of the whole thing...the refs did a good job of explaining stuff though when they did call something...they even took time to show a few examples at times of what was OK and what was not. It's a thankless job, i shouldn't complain.

Been a LONG time since I've posted here, but Gate City is going to have it rough this year. 5-5 at best.

you guys have a really good QB and a lot of great athletes...smallest line i've seen there in a while, but the kids played hard. Good luck to you this year...hope its way better than 5-5.

I thought Union was probably the best team there with George Wythe being a close second. Probably the most surprising game to me was the Grundy/Gate City game. Grundy took it to GC. GC didn't look anything like they have in the past. Just when I was getting ready to write them off for this year they then came out and gave Union all that they could handle. Never write off Gate Cty.

That's what i was saying...kinda the long and short of the whole thing...the refs did a good job of explaining stuff though when they did call something...they even took time to show a few examples at times of what was OK and what was not. It's a thankless job, i shouldn't complain.

The new helmet rule will probably cause a lot of hollering from fans this year, and potentially coaches early on.

If a players helmet comes off during play, and not caused by a foul that removed the helmet, a player must sit out the next play.

not a bad thing, maybe the kids will use the chin straps more now.

I thought Union was probably the best team there with George Wythe being a close second. Probably the most surprising game to me was the Grundy/Gate City game. Grundy took it to GC. GC didn't look anything like they have in the past. Just when I was getting ready to write them off for this year they then came out and gave Union all that they could handle. Never write off Gate Cty.

Union looked great against Grundy at first because they were fresh and Grundy had just played 3 Q's straight against GC then went straight in to the Union game...by the end of the 2nd Q against Union the fresh legs were gone and Grundy had evened it out...I think you play that game longer it gets interesting. They didn't really do anything fancy, they just ran it down Grundy's throat...but they were getting tired at the end and Grundy seemed to be hanging in there with the conditioning at that point. Which seems to be the case as a more rested GC team at that point gave them a fit. GC is still GC, and you have to respect that.

you guys have a really good QB and a lot of great athletes...smallest line i've seen there in a while, but the kids played hard. Good luck to you this year...hope its way better than 5-5.

If #12 was QB last night, he is the second string and will be playing mainly WR and maybe some HB this year. We will be ok, very very young team, should be STACKED in a couple of years. Good luck to Grundy too.

If #12 was QB last night, he is the second string and will be playing mainly WR and maybe some HB this year. We will be ok, very very young team, should be STACKED in a couple of years. Good luck to Grundy too.

yeah #12 played full time...good looking kid really...he did a good job.

not a bad thing, maybe the kids will use the chin straps more now.

There has always been a rule in high school football that requires the use of chinstraps. No official would ever let a play start with either a chinstrap unfastened or a mouth piece dangling. The problem is that a lot of programs do not know how to properly fit the kid for a headgear and the suspension is either over inflated or under inflated. I think this new rule will hopefully correct that and both coaches and players will recognize the importance of a properly fitted head gear.

There has always been a rule in high school football that requires the use of chinstraps. No official would ever let a play start with either a chinstrap unfastened or a mouth piece dangling. The problem is that a lot of programs do not know how to properly fit the kid for a headgear and the suspension is either over inflated or under inflated. I think this new rule will hopefully correct that and both coaches and players will recognize the importance of a properly fitted head gear.

that's what i mean...a lot of the kids have them buckled but they are too loose.

The days of the buzz cut and a helmet that is so tight it bruises your head just aren't cool anymore. The kids want to be able to flip there helmet up without unbuckling their chinstraps like the college and NFL stars do. This will definately help keep some hats on during the game, at least for the ones that want to be on the field every play.

Agreed on the new rule guys. It makes plenty of sense. With a few kids/teams it seems like you had helmets going everywhere at the end of a play the past couple of seasons.

Grundy has been pretty good about staying on the kids to keep them tight, but I noticed a few teams we played over the past couple of years it seemed like there was a helmet flying off every play or so it seemed...I know I mentioned it to someone last year it was just a matter of time until someone got seriously hurt...head injury is nothing to play around with.

scores...

VIRGINIA HIGH JAMBOREE...

Union 6, Gate City 0

Union 14, Grundy 7

Grundy 14, Gate City 7

Graham 14, Lee 7

George Wythe 14, Lee 7

Graham 21, Virginia 12

George Wythe 14, Virginia 6