The Most Intense Bluefield Graham Game

ChanteHokie1

My cousin who is a Bluefield, WV native chatted about the upcoming game between Bluefield, WV & Graham next Friday. My cousin tells me that this rivalry is so intense that there have been riots or really huge fights with the two sides (VA & WV). I'm from DC and will be attending Virginia Tech this fall. My cousin wants me to come to the game, however I need to know how intense is it first before I decide.

i dont know much about the Bluefield/Graham Rivalry, but from what i heard from some friends of mine is that this rivalry between the two has some bad blood brewing for years. and also last year, a couple of student fans from both sides got into a huge brawl.

I've been to the game for 37 years straight....there have been very few fights...and no "huge brawls"....

Just good clean fun for the most part....about 10,000 to 12,000 people with more of a college atmosphere...tailgating and music before the game....it's awesome...

Don't believe everything you hear...

There are the occasional idiots (usually kids) that may get into a scuffle (very rarely)...

But it is truly unlike no other high school game you will see..

I echo that. For the most part it's a good peaceful rivalry. There are too many friends, cousins, grandparents, girl friends, boy friends, etc. across the lines for things to get to nasty. Anytime you get that many people together there are going to be a few incidents, but even those have been fairly tame. And even those usually take place on one side or the other, but not between. I can only recall one incident in all the years where players got nasty to each other after the game. It's usually a very friendly postgame hand shake.

My cousin who is a Bluefield, WV native chatted about the upcoming game between Bluefield, WV & Graham next Friday. My cousin tells me that this rivalry is so intense that there have been riots or really huge fights with the two sides (VA & WV). I'm from DC and will be attending Virginia Tech this fall. My cousin wants me to come to the game, however I need to know how intense is it first before I decide.

I grew up in Bluefield, VA and went to VT. I can assure you it would be a unique experience for you to take the hour-15 minute (50 minutes if you push it) drive on 460 to watch the game.

Just know that if you want the true Graham/Beaver experience, the best thing to do is sit on the Graham side and cheer whenever that G-star makes it to the end-zone. ;)

BTW, I thought we were going to rank the most intense games ever played between these schools. If we were to do so, Graham's "goal-line stand" from a couple years ago has to be ranked near the top, right? At least top-10?

I grew up in Bluefield, VA and went to VT. I can assure you it would be a unique experience for you to take the hour-15 minute (50 minutes if you push it) drive on 460 to watch the game.

Just know that if you want the true Graham/Beaver experience, the best thing to do is sit on the Graham side and cheer whenever that G-star makes it to the end-zone. ;)

Truth.

Be sure to get there early to take in the tailgating and to get a seat. Back in the 80's there used to be some fights on occasion but it' is way more civil now and both sides get along pretty well. It's def. worth seeing at least once in your life. Hopefully it will be a good game this year!

My cousin who is a Bluefield, WV native chatted about the upcoming game between Bluefield, WV & Graham next Friday. My cousin tells me that this rivalry is so intense that there have been riots or really huge fights with the two sides (VA & WV).

I think either you or your cousin got the Graham-Beaver rivalry confused with the Bluefield-Pulaski Co. rivalry. Lots of fights/brawls ended that series...

As far as most intense Graham-Beaver games...in chronological order...

1974 - Graham 13-0, first time Graham had won in many years.

1984 - Bluefield 21-20, Graham scores late in the game but fails on 2-pt attempt to win the game

1991 - Bluefield 6-4, The ESPN Game, Bluefield scores on a late hail-mary to win

1995 - Graham 26-20, the G-Men trailed 20-0 and came back to win

2001 - Graham 56-8, the Bluefield stands were empty in the 3rd Q

2003 - Bluefield 24-21, Graham trailed big early but AB led a furious Graham rally and almost pulled out the victory.

2008 - Graham 25-23, The Will Cole Bowl, Graham stops Cole at the goal line as time expires to preserve the win.

Here's hoping for a more competitive game this year. Bluefield's recent dominance in the series with games being over by halftime has taken a good part of the luster away from the game for me. I haven't missed Beaver/Graham since 1994, but I debated whether or not to come last year. Did I really just say that? There is no debate going into next week, God willing I will be there since it will be my last Friday of freedom before grad school resumes on Monday.

Here's hoping for a more competitive game this year. Bluefield's recent dominance in the series with games being over by halftime has taken a good part of the luster away from the game for me. I haven't missed Beaver/Graham since 1994, but I debated whether or not to come last year. Did I really just say that? There is no debate going into next week, God willing I will be there since it will be my last Friday of freedom before grad school resumes on Monday.

I agree, and I have a really good feeling about the g-men this year. Not saying were going to win, but I think it will be very competitive this year. These aren't the same old g-men.

I agree, and I have a really good feeling about the g-men this year. Not saying were going to win, but I think it will be very competitive this year. These aren't the same old g-men.

I also miss the G-Men swag of their fans, especially you CPF. It is no fun beating Graham when you all expect to lose and are just hoping to be competitive. There are plenty of teams around the region for Beaver to whip up on, they need to be challenged early on and Graham used to always do that. I want Beaver to win, but I want Graham to make them sweat and earn it.

Not knowning much about Virginia & West Virginia football compared to high school football in Washington, all I know is that Virginia high school programs have done exceptionally well in terms of producing college and professional athletes. West Virginia, I do not know much about. Back two years ago, I attended a game at Charles Town, WV near DC, and it was okay however not that interesting. Hopefully, this game will be interesting.

I've missed maybe 3 or 4 Bluefield/Graham games since 1990 and from my experience it has been a nice clean rivalry. If anything does go on it is not enough to get my attention. Plus as a security precaution there are officers standing throughout the stadium. If anything the only thing that slightly bothers me about the game are those people that are there just to socialize and not watch a game. I don't have anything against socializing but these are mostly just teenagers moving around all game long and when they stop to socialize they'll stand in front of fans like me that are there to watch a football game. However that is to be expected during a rivalry game of this magnitude and even that is really not that big of a deal. I truly recommend attending.

I've been to the game for 37 years straight....there have been very few fights...and no "huge brawls"....

Just good clean fun for the most part....about 10,000 to 12,000 people with more of a college atmosphere...tailgating and music before the game....it's awesome...

Don't believe everything you hear...

There are the occasional idiots (usually kids) that may get into a scuffle (very rarely)...

But it is truly unlike no other high school game you will see..

i have been going to graham bluefield games since 1969 and never ever saw a hugh brawl at the games.

I've missed maybe 3 or 4 Bluefield/Graham games since 1990 and from my experience it has been a nice clean rivalry. If anything does go on it is not enough to get my attention. Plus as a security precaution there are officers standing throughout the stadium. If anything the only thing that slightly bothers me about the game are those people that are there just to socialize and not watch a game. I don't have anything against socializing but these are mostly just teenagers moving around all game long and when they stop to socialize they'll stand in front of fans like me that are there to watch a football game. However that is to be expected during a rivalry game of this magnitude and even that is really not that big of a deal. I truly recommend attending.

I'll make my first one in 9 years Friday night.

Is that the same Pulaski County next to Virginia Tech? They had hostility with Bluefield instead of Graham? What happened? Another thing too, is there anything to do in the Bluefield area (attractions, shopping, entertainment)? Is there any bars or night clubs like in Blacksburg or Washington, DC?

Edited by ChanteHokie1

There are a couple of fine gentlemans clubs!

Cowboy Up is a good place, themed as a cowboy bar but theres a good mix of people there(granted its been 5 or so years since I was up there)

Edited by redtiger

Is that the same Pulaski County next to Virginia Tech? They had hostility with Bluefield instead of Graham? What happened? Another thing too, is there anything to do in the Bluefield area (attractions, shopping, entertainment)? Is there any bars or night clubs like in Blacksburg or Washington, DC?

I think the altercations were racially motivated.

Try Cowboy Up or Mountaineer Lounge. Both are on Cumberland Road.

2008 - Graham 25-23, The Will Cole Bowl, Graham stops Cole at the goal line as time expires to preserve the win.

Random thought: As far as I and the people around me know, the refs never actually called one way or the other? From what I remember, they ran off the field before anyone could hurt them. Just wondering if anyone remembered differently.

Random thought: As far as I and the people around me know, the refs never actually called one way or the other? From what I remember, they ran off the field before anyone could hurt them. Just wondering if anyone remembered differently.

It was a weird, weird play.

I was standing on the fence at the goal line where the touchdown would have been (or was...) scored, and I have no idea what happened. There were simply too many bodies in the way to see the play. The oddest thing about it was that the refs didn't to seem to know what happened either. They just looked around, waved their hands cryptically, and wandered off the field. Maybe my view wasn't the best, but I have absolutely no idea what happened on that play in regards to whether or not Will got in the end zone. Such an exciting-turned-odd event in the history of this game.

The part that we need to remember is that Will started that drive on his own one or two yard line (someone correct me as to what it was). He drove 90-some yards down the field, but was denied that last one (either by the G-Men or by the refs, depending on your loyalties). It was a spectacular ending to a fascinating game, and it's one that will live on for the entirety of this rivalry.

My last thought is that I simply, and completely miss Bluefield. Enjoy the season, all of you Beavers and G-Men. Best of luck to you all.