Admit it, you were surprised...

BigO

AHS played a great ballgame compared to what most everyone on here expected...except for AHS fans. Obviously we need to work on punt blocking and get rid of some mistakes. But even with the pick 6 we would have won the game without the punt blocks. Those 2 blocks provided VHS with 9 points...or 10..can't remember if kicker missed the XP after a punt block or the pick 6. Our defense was stellar and our offense had some bright spots. Bowles' playing calling was good....his clock management at the end of the game was less than stellar. VHS didn't score at all in the second half and the D kept them from making it around the corner and filled the gaps well on that counter reverse play that they ate us up with last year. It will be interesting to see if it was our D that played lights out or if VHS' offnense was lackluster. The Bristol paper predicted a blowout by VHS...you guys on here predicited a blowout by VHS....didn't happen.....so man up and admit that AHS surprised you. Yes, I know its early season and there's alot of football left...but I think AHS has some great things to work on that will hopefully only improve their play. We didn't run the ball very effectively and that was a product of a pretty good run defense. I am anxious to see the outcome of the JSB/VHS game. That will really set the stage for the game between AHS and JSB, as far as expectations go. I hate we lost but I love the fact that our guys never quit and they shocked the hell out of their haters. Man up for those who predicted a huge loss for them tonight...admit that AHS shocked you.

VHS has the worst football team that I have seen in years! They for got to take thier panties off when they put there uniforms on!(QB cant throw, backs run straight up and down, dont understand to cut up field when hole opens, line cant block, punt returner want step up and return punts, LBs that want hit)so if AHS had of had anything they would have won. AHS just needs to drop the football program!

I hope the rest of SWVA football is better than these two programs! Looking forward to watching 2 different teams next week. Will have to decide on what game to go! 1st game jitters maybe!

The most exciting thing in Bristol last night was the fireworks and nascar truck parade!

"It will be interesting to see if it was our D that played lights out or if VHS' offnense was lackluster"

Im guessing it was more of a case of VHS struggling on offense more than Abingdons standout defense BUT VHS is a pretty quick team and the fact that Abingdon was able to contol them says alot imo. Abingdon definately has some things to fix, juding from last nights preformance im gonna say the Falcons will finish the season 5-5

No offense meant to Abingdon but I was more suprised that VHS was unable to end it early, they had the opportunity to completly take Abingdon out of the game. Maybe it was the Bearcat Offense, maybe it was the Falcon Defense. Only time will tell

I don't think I have ever seen someone so excited about his team losing to another sub-par football team before...

Immaturity reigns here at SWVA Sports., from both its members and admin. It just kills you guys that AHS has a decent team and Lance, I say "man up" because of idiots like this dude I quoted above. It cracks me up to see folks say things like VHS is going to be good and will kill AHS, even Bristol's own beatwriter, and then you come back..AFTER...the game and say "Well VHS sucks anyway"...whatev.

We have some much better talent than what showed last night in numerous, very key, positions. Why Bowles didn't play them is a question for him to answer. But, I can tell you this, AHS will continue to surprise this season and will even win more then expected if the correct personnel is playing. I have been saying it since I joined this forum, AHS has some real talent coming up the ranks and when our coaching staff recognizes it (in other words gets their head out of their ass), then you will see it too.

Guys, I know I give you all a lot of crap, and you obviously dish it out too, but I couldn't be more serious about the talent that we had standing on the sideline last night. I know for a fact that if we had a few different players on the field last night the outcome would have been different. But, at the same time, VHS might have the same problem....but historically VHS plays their best players...which is what MOST coaches do. Why ours chooses to do different is a mystery. I know I sound like I think I know everything, and I think I do know quite a bit about football, but it doesn't take a Knute Rockne to see the talent I am talking about. I am sure some will ridicule me based on this paragraph, and thats fine if it gets your rocks off to do that...but if you choose to discuss football then this would be a good place to do so.

In all seriousness...and, it's obvious you are sort of new or something...no offense intended.

But, here's the deal.

The reason people hate Abingdon is because of people like yourself and the things you have said here, and continue to say. You seem to think you are above the rest of us and know something we don't. We look at you and say "yep, another Abingdon moron."

If you had played like that against someone like Richlands then people would have taken notice. Va High is not known for football other than bad football....much like Abingdon.

My advice is to just stop begging for peoples respect and try to hope you can get the football program back in shape to actually earn it.

People just don't care or respect who you "almost beat"...unless it's one of the top teams...in which case, it will stand on its own without people like yourself getting on here and saying "man up" and respect us.

You have teams like Twin Valley, who Abingdon could probably beat (maybe), that people respect because they have very few kids and play with a TON of heart...Abingdon has 1000 kids and the highlight of the game is the band at halftime. The sooner you realize this and shut up, the better you will be....here anyway...and if you don't like it here, or the admins or members...then just go start an "I love Abingdon" website or something and fester with your own kind.

AHS played a great ballgame compared to what most everyone on here expected...except for AHS fans. Obviously we need to work on punt blocking and get rid of some mistakes. But even with the pick 6 we would have won the game without the punt blocks. Those 2 blocks provided VHS with 9 points...or 10..can't remember if kicker missed the XP after a punt block or the pick 6. Our defense was stellar and our offense had some bright spots. Bowles' playing calling was good....his clock management at the end of the game was less than stellar. VHS didn't score at all in the second half and the D kept them from making it around the corner and filled the gaps well on that counter reverse play that they ate us up with last year. It will be interesting to see if it was our D that played lights out or if VHS' offnense was lackluster. The Bristol paper predicted a blowout by VHS...you guys on here predicited a blowout by VHS....didn't happen.....so man up and admit that AHS surprised you. Yes, I know its early season and there's alot of football left...but I think AHS has some great things to work on that will hopefully only improve their play. We didn't run the ball very effectively and that was a product of a pretty good run defense. I am anxious to see the outcome of the JSB/VHS game. That will really set the stage for the game between AHS and JSB, as far as expectations go. I hate we lost but I love the fact that our guys never quit and they shocked the hell out of their haters. Man up for those who predicted a huge loss for them tonight...admit that AHS shocked you.

Congratulations for losing to a school in a lower classification with almost half your enrollment.

Edited by UVAObserver

Those of us who don''t live down that way would also like to know a score along with the commentary.

Va High 16 Abingdon 13. Each team had less than 150 yards of total offense.

I will admit that I was surprised by both Abingdon and Va High last night. Abingdon was not near as bad of a team as I was being lead to believe and Va High did not look near as good as they did at the jamboree the week before.

Very nice, you post on here about how a D-4 Abingdon "shocked the world" by losing to a D-2 team who finished last season @ 5-6 & lost numerous skilled position players to graduation of that team from last year, telling people on here to "man up" and admit they were wrong? Then you turn around and call me an idiot due to me expressing my opinion? Wow, sounds like you want to be heard but you can't handle the opinions of others - especially when it gives you a reality check.

What do you expect people to say, "Wow, that loss to a team with an enrollment around half your size that finished below .500 was impressive - please accept our apologies!" Messageboards such as this one as well as others aren't set up for you a la Burger King where you can always "have it your way", and that goes for everyone else here as well. If you're going to come on here and start pleading for apologies in the way you have for a loss to a team given the info above you're going to have to "man up" and take some criticism yourself.

Very nice, you post on here about how a D-4 Abingdon "shocked the world" by losing to a D-2 team who finished last season @ 5-6 & lost numerous skilled position players to graduation of that team from last year, telling people on here to "man up" and admit they were wrong?

Small quibble, Abingdon's D3 now.

I agree with Big O, we played our heart out man. Its a shame that the Cats had the refs on their side too. Dad said that V high jumped quick not once but twice offsides and no call was made. Dad said he followed the refs after the game, but they were over there munching on chick filet and wouldn't look toward him.:confused: Its just B.S., all this training during the off season for this?!:mad:

Congratulations for losing to a school in a lower classification with less than half your enrollment.

VHS actually has a lot more than half Abingdon's enrollment. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I agree with Big O, we played our heart out man. Its a shame that the Cats had the refs on their side too. Dad said that V high jumped quick not once but twice offsides and no call was made. Dad said he followed the refs after the game, but they were over there munching on chick filet and wouldn't look toward him.:confused: Its just B.S., all this training during the off season for this?!:mad:

you and your dad are jokes.... grow up you wimp

VHS actually has a lot more than half Abingdon's enrollment. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

While true, I must stand corrected that it's more than half, it's by no means "a lot" more than half. It's ~300 kids, which still is enough to create a sizeable advantage when we're talking about schools with under 1000 kids total.

I normally stay out of the business of calling teams out but have to address a reality on this one. It is my understanding that Virginia High dressed the equivalent of a Junior Varsity Team last night, meaning they are very young. Yet you get on here and say "man up?" How about your team and your town (we won't get into that) do that? You Abingdon fans are persistent in asking for respect, yet the word earn is never written; you always say "give." Well, nothing is given in this life dear friend except for free advice. My advice to you is to not come on here asking for respect when you lose to a Junior Varsity Team (no disrespect to Virginia High).

I bet Stripes was on the Cats side too.

While true, I must stand corrected that it's more than half, it's by no means "a lot" more than half. It's ~300 kids, which still is enough to create a sizeable advantage when we're talking about schools with under 1000 kids total.

Yeah, I really didn't mean "a lot". Last time I checked, Abingdon had just under 1000 kids and VHS had just under 700. Still a sizable chunk.

Very nice, you post on here about how a D-4 Abingdon "shocked the world" by losing to a D-2 team who finished last season @ 5-6 & lost numerous skilled position players to graduation of that team from last year, telling people on here to "man up" and admit they were wrong? Then you turn around and call me an idiot due to me expressing my opinion? Wow, sounds like you want to be heard but you can't handle the opinions of others - especially when it gives you a reality check.

What do you expect people to say, "Wow, that loss to a team with an enrollment around half your size that finished below .500 was impressive - please accept our apologies!" Messageboards such as this one as well as others aren't set up for you a la Burger King where you can always "have it your way", and that goes for everyone else here as well. If you're going to come on here and start pleading for apologies in the way you have for a loss to a team given the info above you're going to have to "man up" and take some criticism yourself.

First of all, how does enrollment have anything to do with what takes place on the field? Why should we be penalized for kids wanting to go to the best high school in Va to receive the best education? My problem with the game last night was the fireworks. More and more the redneck bottle huggers are taking over this area, and now a Falcon football game?:mad: We lost because of the race parade which stopped the game at a point we were about to score. They stopped the game for fireworks and the trucks to pass by, this allowed the kitty cats to regroup and rest. I've said it more than once on here, its Abingdon vs the world! You haters will eat your words when the talent shines through just watch!!!!!

you and your dad are jokes.... grow up you wimp

Marion is full of wimps and you are the leader, LEAVE SOUTHY ALONE!!:mad:

Abingdon 956 VAhigh 674 (from the VHSL webpage) Like ThomasDenton said, not a huge gap but it is an advantage.

I think everyone can agree that the score is suprising but it is definately nothing to be excited about. Chances are VAhigh will finish 3rd in the Clinch Mountain and 4-6 to 6-4 overall. A very average team. Like someone said before, if they can play like that against Richlands, Abingdon will get some respect. Finish the season at 7-3 and you will get some respect.

Until then, better performance than expected but nothing special.

I dont know anything about who the coach plays and who he doesent but I can make 3 observations on the matter(assuming that more talented players were sitting on the bench); 1) he is an idiot and AHS needs a new coach, 2) the boosters have too much influence on the athletic program or 3) talent does not make good football players(alot of football is mental and maybe those kids just dont play smart).

I assume these more talented kids are atleast playing special teams? If they dont look impresive on SpT then they probably wouldnt be impressive on O or D

Edited by redtiger

First of all, how does enrollment have anything to do with what takes place on the field? Why should we be penalized for kids wanting to go to the best high school in Va to receive the best education? My problem with the game last night was the fireworks. More and more the redneck bottle huggers are taking over this area, and now a Falcon football game?:mad: We lost because of the race parade which stopped the game at a point we were about to score. They stopped the game for fireworks and the trucks to pass by, this allowed the kitty cats to regroup and rest. I've said it more than once on here, its Abingdon vs the world! You haters will eat your words when the talent shines through just watch!!!!!

Marion is full of wimps and you are the leader, LEAVE SOUTHY ALONE!!:mad:

lol your mom wasnt calling me a wimp last night