Best AA and A Football teams in SWVA

lhsfan_1998

What are everyone's thoughts?

AA- Mine of course would be Richlands.

A- As far as single A, I don't really know. I would usually say Gate City but they are very down this year. Worse then any other year. How everyone is talking, Virginia High and John Battle are the two teams that will be fighting for the CMD Crown and Union will win the LPD crown?? Maybe it's me but I just can't see Battle being as good as all the hipe. Virginia High is in the same boat only beating Abingdon 16-13. I don't know to much about Honaker, Lebanon, or Wise Central. That is just in this area. What about up state?

Richlands-Union Friday night will set the stage to see where both teams stand. Last years game was decided by a late field goal as time was running out. Clintwood returned the Meade kid and in my opinion, is probably the best RB in southwest Virginia. Friday should be interesting!

AA has to be Richlands.

A JI Burton, Union or Clintwood, JS Battle is in the mix. Im gonna say Clintwood, once they get the kinks worked out they will be a tough team to beat. Their D is solid(as always) and the O will start rolling

Im gonna stick with Richlands as far as program and a decade of history. Richalnds is down this season compared to recent history but still a solid football team that should be at worst 8-2 at end of regular season.

AA has to be Richlands.

A JI Burton, Union or Clintwood, JS Battle is in the mix. Im gonna say Clintwood, once they get the kinks worked out they will be a tough team to beat. Their D is solid(as always) and the O will start rolling

I agree to a certain point, however the jury is still out on some of those mentioned.

What are everyone's thoughts?

AA- Mine of course would be Richlands.

A- As far as single A, I don't really know. I would usually say Gate City but they are very down this year. Worse then any other year. How everyone is talking, Virginia High and John Battle are the two teams that will be fighting for the CMD Crown and Union will win the LPD crown?? Maybe it's me but I just can't see Battle being as good as all the hipe. Virginia High is in the same boat only beating Abingdon 16-13. I don't know to much about Honaker, Lebanon, or Wise Central. That is just in this area. What about up state?

There's really only a few fans building up all this hype about Battle. Yes, the Battle community (myself included) has been very excited, hopeful, and even confident about this season and we are definitely improving (and IMO the CMD is fair game for anyone this year) but there's only a few fans on the Internet boards being overly confident/cocky about Battle's chances this year.

For single A, I'd have to have Clintwood pretty high up there, probably on top. JI Burton and Union would be up there too. For AA, in this area, I'd definitely go with Richlands.

Though, are we talking about the best teams THIS YEAR or of all time? My answer was for this year's teams and it's still too early to tell for sure. I mean, we're just now into week 2.

I agree to a certain point, however the jury is still out on some of those mentioned.

Oh definely. I think those teams are at the top but none are solid. If Clintwood doesent get some issues worked out they wont make much of a run. Union has alot of new pieces and has to get it together. JI Burton has talent but needs to step it up to be dominant(dont know that they can), Battle has potiental but I dont think they are the top team(just being in the conversation is hugefor that program)

i'm biased being from clintwood, but, whoever makes it to the finals, on our end mind you, i'll be a pullin for them.....to early to tell whos the best, look at clintwood, last year started 1-2, everyone around thought they were junk, me included, richlands, if feel needed to be tested early,heard on WAXM,(last year) some of the fans that called in were concerned being a AA school, were winning by big margins, and starters enjoying the rest of game from sidelines. know scheduling has alot to do with it.

I think Haysi is the fav in the BDD....then Honaker and Grundy.

Grundy played pretty sloppy against TV last week...they have a few things they need to fix...that game was a lot closer than it looked on paper.

The Mutter kid barely missed a 51 yard FG in that game...went left about a foot, looked long enough to me, but heard someone say it was about a foot short as well....i dunno, it was close and he said he didn't get all of it...that's a nice weapon to have in your arsenal. If Grundy can keep it within 3 in any game and get on the other side of the 50 yard line, they have a legit shot at winning...nice little advantage to have.

I continue to hear Haysi is "loaded"...have yet to see them or Honaker play in person yet.

On the other side of Shortt's Gap...the Graham vs Richlands game looks to be interesting this year.

No one mentioned George Wythe for single A?

Richlands easily for AA of course.

I remember when people used to be afraid to play GW (or maybe they just hated the drive, lol). I know they're still good (and I haven't seen them this year) but it just seems like they're not the big, fast, hard-hitting team of old. I'd definitely consider them to be one of the best single A teams in SWVA.

Haysi has alot of pieces, imo by the end of the season they will be a dangerous team. Potential is there for this to be a very good year for Haysi.

Clintwood is not a dominant team, yet

Edited by redtiger

I remember when people used to be afraid to play GW (or maybe they just hated the drive, lol). I know they're still good (and I haven't seen them this year) but it just seems like they're not the big, fast, hard-hitting team of old. I'd definitely consider them to be one of the best single A teams in SWVA.

id rather drive to GW than grayson any day

Clintwood returned the Meade kid and in my opinion, is probably the best RB in southwest Virginia. Friday should be interesting!

Him (and he is probably the best back in SWVA this year), and about 14 other returning starters from last year's champs. (offense, defense, both ways combined).

last year means nothing though, still gotta play this year's games.

Its too early for sure, but in the spirit of fun Im going to make my picks.

AA= Richlands (again depends how far west SWVA goes and to be honest Richlands should be A instead of AA which i give them props for playing up)

A= Toss up between Clintwood (who everyone knows is a solid program with some of the best coaches in the state) and Union. I know I blew up the bears last year and by all rights they could have done alot better than they did, but this is year two and the Coaching staff is one more year older and have a better feel for the game.

I know some JIB fans will get mad but i really dont care. JIB should not be mentioned in any disscussion about best team in swva for this reason, its easy to beat up on weak programs. If Burton will play atleast 1 solid bigger program in their OOD schedule and make a good game out of it Ill start to respect them, but as long as they go around beating up on Castlewood, Holston, Twin Springs, Thomas Walker, and so forth I can in no way have any respect for that program.

Last season and the entire 80s and 90s and 2000s should show JIB that playing up helps a team not hurts a team. Clintwood was a 1-2 team that won state and IMO it was the Grayson Co and Hazzard games that showed the kids they were a better team than that and that they could handle anything eastern va threw at em. the 80s and 90s Powell Valley, Appalachia, and Gate City teams are living proof that playing up makes better programs. The early 2000s Gate City, and Clintwood programs are testaments to this fact as well.

Clintwood, GW and Galax will be top 3 teams in west D1. They will atleast be the best 3 IMO. Galax has a very tough schedule, so they may not be in the top 3 power rating points if they loose a couple games. Next 3 will be Radford, JIB and maybe Honaker.