Richlands @ Pulaski

Ryan4VT

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true insight there. One thing that has killed Richlands in previous years has been the lack of decent competition (save Gate City) in the regular season. Most games, the starters only play the first half so when they reach the postseason and they need to play the entire game, they almost seem caught off guard

It's not been Gate City (5-7 all time vs Richlands) that has been the regular season test for Richlands...it was Powell Valley (9-8 all time vs Richlands). Of Richlands 8 wins in the series, 5 came after the 2000 season. Prior to that, PV was 8-3 with an average score of 26-15 in PV's favor. Since 2001, Richlands was 5-1 vs. the Vikings with an average score of 18-15 in favor of Richlands. If you take out PVs blowout win in 2008 and Richlands Blowout win from 2010, Richlands was 4-0...but those 4 wins were by a grand total of 24 points. And considering the past 2 Union-Richlands games, it looks like Union has picked up where PV left off....they may not always win, but it will be a dog fight win or lose.

(Since 2001, it is true that Gate city has won 5 of 12 against Richlands, but the average margin of victory in that same time span is 11 points in favor of Richlands (average score since 2001 vs Gate City: Richlands 25 - Gate City 14)...if Gate City played Richlands in prior to 2001, I couldn't find any mention of it)

Richlands biggest problem hasn't been their out of district scheduling...it's been the strength of their district. Since 1999, the combined W-L records of the teams in the Southwest District (besides Richlands) versus VHSL teams is 297-300. Furthermore, since 2008, Richlands is 22-0 versus the SWD, but only six times in that time span did a SWD team other than Richlands have a winning season (Tazwell (2008), Carroll County (2009, 2010), Grundy (2010), Abingdon (2010), Marion (2009). (Going into this year, SWD teams besides Richlands are a combined 103-131 since 2008,....and are a combined 3-8 thus far this year.)

As far as Richlands non-district schedule (VHSL teams only), since 1999 their opponents have a combined record of 349-315...(PV/Union, Gate City, Honaker, and Lebanon are a combined 242-131 in years they have appeared on Richlands schedule). The problem Richlands is facing is due to the quality of football in the region being way down. They can schedule the best teams in the region and still not get any better. But, when a team is at the top of the heap, scheduling is always a predicament...especially if you are trying to schedule teams to make your team better. But you can take a lengthy road trip and schedule a bigger fish from a bigger pond with as much talent, or more than you have...that'll make ya better.

Edited by sup_rbeast

That's right. Graham stopped the 33 game streak in '07. That may be where the Bluefield thought came from.

I thought Bluefield beat Richlands on a last second FG in '07? Did Graham stop the 33 game win streak in '06 maybe?

I thought Bluefield beat Richlands on a last second FG in '07? Did Graham stop the 33 game win streak in '06 maybe?

Graham beat us in 07. Then, 2 weeks later, Bluefield beat us on a last sec. FG. Same year. And the Gate City game is the last loss. I had completely forgotten about that one.

Thought you graduated in '07? Which would make the game '06?

Or am I just being an argumentative ass. ;)

What's that behind door number 2? Ding ding ding! Winner!!!! Lol. Had to do it.

I graduated in 2008. The game was week 4ish of 2007. The Bluefield game later that year was our Homecoming of my senior year.

Graham beat us in 07. Then, 2 weeks later, Bluefield beat us on a last sec. FG. Same year. And the Gate City game is the last loss. I had completely forgotten about that one.

Damn, I didn't know y'all lost to both Bluefield and Graham in the same season.

LOL. Fair enough. The years all run together for me, now.

Same here. Had that year not been my senior year, I would lose track too.

Yessir. Graham played that game beautifully. Ran the ball 15-20 times before throwing a hail mary for a TD. Did it several times. Worked to perfection.

That Bluefield game was one of the best I had witnessed at Ernie even though we lost it was a great game, and Bluefield went on to win state and I think we ended up getting rolled by Brookeville and LT.

The thing with Pulaski is I think we are going to have to match scores with these guys, TD for TD, don't see keeping them out of the endzone. Not saying they will score every drive but they will score, they have a heckuva line. Richlands may be better served slowing the game down, keeping the clock running and mixing in some playaction. May have to revert to 3yds and a cloud of dust, dunno. Can't go 3 and out in a minute, need long methodical drives with a TD. Stats against PH showed all running and very very few penalties, pulaski is a well disciplined football team that don't have alot of mistakes. The key for Richlands is few mistakes, no turnovers, get the defense off the field and keep a level head and I think you got yourself a ball game.

That Bluefield game was one of the best I had witnessed at Ernie even though we lost it was a great game, and Bluefield went on to win state and I think we ended up getting rolled by Brookeville and LT.

We lost to both Bluefield and Graham that year and went on to make it to the State Finals to lose to Monticello. We beat the Logan Thomas led Brookville Bees at the Ernie that year in the state semi's.

Thanks for the post--wish the G-Men success in the rest of their season. I agree with the other posters in regards to Sheets---it seems he would be better utilized at the slot instead of QB.

God bless

Life has many choices---eternity two

Sheets is a athelete. He playes all over the field when they need him. Everyone was talking about what a good QB he was until the Richlands game, now this. Not everyone can throw 38 screen passes a game against a team that has no idea how to cover a pass of any sort. Dadgum did you go to the game, nothing but their d line busting our o line in the mouth and our DBs giving a ten to fifteen yard coushion to the WRs and then flat out not covering them. They moved Sheets to WR and RB to get him in space and good things happened. Then went away from it, dont know why but they did. I honestly cant tell you how many times recievers had nobody within a ten yard radius of them (Richlands). Hopefully Graham can fix this. I wish Sheets had gone to Richlands and played Graham, then maybe someone would give the kid respect for playing for his team and making it better any way he could instead of going to Richlands or Bluefield. I believe last year the score was thirty something to nothing with the second string playing the entire second half. If I remember Baker played for Graham last year against Richlands/Bluefield check the scores of those games. Lets down Sheets. Why not? Baker was second in passing lastyear, throwing twice maybe three times as much as Sheets AND Sheets led the team in rushing, but they always shared the stats in the paper and on the radio, wonder why? If you want to make a statement about greatness lead a team to wins, dont transfer to a winner. Like going from NC State to Alabama and talking about how great you are when u beat NC State. There is a big difference between playing behind Grahams line and Richlands. In four years that margine will decline greatly. Weightlifting is a fairly new idea at Graham and the results are showing in the first year. We are getting better, every year and will continue to improve. I love our boys and think this is the beginning of great things. Time will tell, but the screen passes was a great coach seeing a weekness and we did absolutely nothing to fix it, why not keep doing it. Coaching was evident on fourth and goal not once but twice when the QB was in shotgun, byw the only completed downfield (not screen) passes. Everytime the QB was in shotgun it was with 90% certainty it was a pass. Watch the highlights on WVVA and tell me if there is a CB anywhere to be found on either play. Nope, just Hunter Cook on one TD trying to make up ground on blown coverage. He will be a great one. On a positive note, at least our CB will tackle this year.

God bless you boys, we are all proud of you, dont listen to peoples daddys.

Edited by YOTD

Sheets is a athelete. He playes all over the field when they need him. Everyone was talking about what a good QB he was until the Richlands game, now this. Not everyone can throw 38 screen passes a game against a team that has no idea how to cover a pass of any sort. Dadgum did you go to the game, nothing but their d line busting our o line in the mouth. They moved Sheets to WR and RB to get him in space and good things happened. Then went away from it, dont know why but they did. I honestly cant tell you how many times recievers had noone within a ten yard radius of them, for Richlands. Hopefully Graham can fix this. I wish Sheets had gone to Richlands and played Graham, then maybe someone would give the kid respect for playing for his team and making it better any way he could instead of going to Richlands or Bluefield. I believe last year the score was thirty something to nothing with the second string playing the entire second half. If I remember Baker played for Graham last year against Richlands/Bluefield. Lets down Sheets. Baker was second in passing throwing twice as much as Sheets AND sheets led the team in rushing, but they always shared the stats in the paper and on the radio, wonder why. If you want to make a statement about greatness lead a team to wins dont transfer to a winner. Like going from NC state to Alabama and talking about how great you are. There is a big difference between playing behind Grahams line and Richlands. In four years that margine will decline greatly.Weightlifting is a fairly new idea at Graham and the results are showing in the first year.

God bless you boy, we are all proud of you, dont listen to peoples daddys.

Relax, no one was talking bad about Sheets.

If your reading comprehension was a bit better then you would see that everyone in this thread was extremely complimentary of Sheets actually. He is the best player on Graham's team and moving him to the slot gets the ball in the best player's hands easily. He is too small to make a difference in the middle of the field. Get him on the outside and he's one of the best ATHLETES on the field as he's shown every game this season. Sheets is an ATHLETE not a QB. Nothing wrong with that if you use him correctly.

I still see sour grapes about Baker torching you though. I'd be pissed too if I was a Graham fan. The kid made a decision regarding his future and it has paid off for him obviously. Richlands now has a serviceable QB that fits their system and Graham isn't hurting with Sheets. What's the problem?

Relax, no one was talking bad about Sheets.

If your reading comprehension was a bit better then you would see that everyone in this thread was extremely complimentary of Sheets actually. He is the best player on Graham's team and moving him to the slot gets the ball in the best player's hands easily. He is too small to make a difference in the middle of the field. Get him on the outside and he's one of the best ATHLETES on the field as he's shown every game this season. Sheets is an ATHLETE not a QB. Nothing wrong with that if you use him correctly.

Listen to Old Blue here. Their's a reason Bluefield wins like they do. They have seen plenty of talent and know how to get the most out of it.