Best coach ever from SWVa

com74bsslc

1. Your argument would be worth something if Carlock's and Mance's careers didn't overlap by more than half a decade....

2. The title of the thread is "Best Coach Ever from SWVA". I did read that correctly, right? Sounds like an OP thing.

3. Oh, and if you haven't seen Carlock, your parents probably should allow you on a computer. Bedtime, parental advisory, and all. 2005 ain't that long ago, sport.

Carlocks last season was 2004. His last game was a loss at Tazewell 19-14 in the region semi-finals.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick this around. List your top ten that you saw yourself. Richlands fan.

1. Robbins (PV)

2. Calaboro (Gatecity)sorry for the spelling on all names

3. Carlock (Graham)

4. Mance (Richlands)

5. Ragsdale (Giles)

6. Salem's current coach Mussenberger?

7. Vaught (Richlands)

8. Housewright (Gatecity)

9. Hubbard (Honaker)

10. Marrs (Grahem) a dig at the Graham fans lol

Never saw Clintwood, Haysi, so don't take offense if your team not mentioned.

Phil Robbins couldn't hold up Carlock's Jock Strap. Robbins was way overrated. Witht the kind of talent he had a PV, a trained beagle could have won a state title. Tom Turner did more than Robbins with less as well. Phil Robbin's coaching ability is a lot like going to a strip club. It sounds awesome, but is really just sort of awkward and you feel dirty when you think about it.

Edited by Hiram

Carlock not in any Top 5 is comical. Especially when you include Mance...

prob because a lot of the posters have never see a carlock team play before is why. with the post being top ten coaches you have seen understandable with many young people.

Carlocks last season was 2004. His last game was a loss at Tazewell 19-14 in the region semi-finals.

so you leave him off the list just because he lost his last game. wonder how many coaches on the list lost games also. i thought it was to look at the overall record of a coach not just the last game.

prob because a lot of the posters have never see a carlock team play before is why. with the post being top ten coaches you have seen understandable with many young people.

and alot of us from a little further west never saw the point in making the 2+ hour trip to Bluefield to watch a team play that wasnt our own.

and alot of us from a little further west never saw the point in making the 2+ hour trip to Bluefield to watch a team play that wasnt our own.

then difficult to say best coach in swva that you saw unless you were willing to go see one of the best around the state i myself even now drive 3 and a half hours to watch this new graham coach and team because they in time will be just like a carlock coached team.

then why not drive the short distance to have watched him when graham played at grundy.

The ESPN generation seems to have made these "lists" popular. I will give my unbiased opinion, however misguided it may be given I have only been in the area a little under 5 years.

The real winners are not the coaches themselves but all the young men who have had the privilege to learn from the wealth of talented coaches such a rural part of the state has had over the years. To me, this is more than a football question, it's a life question. These coaches get kids to accomplish more in a short time than most teachers combined. Those kids pass that knowledge and experience to the next generation and the cycle continues.

How many of these coaches mentioned were guided by other coaches mentioned?

so you leave him off the list just because he lost his last game. wonder how many coaches on the list lost games also. i thought it was to look at the overall record of a coach not just the last game.

I didnt make the list, therefore I could not have left him off of it. UVA Observer said 2005, and I was merely saying that his last season was 2004. Coach Carlock was a good friend to me for many years and I believe he is in the top 3.

My list would go something like this

1. Harry Fry

2. Willis White

3. Glynn Carlock

4. John Chmara

5. Fred Simon

6. Nick Colobro

7. Phil Robbins

8. Joel Hicks

9. Greg Mance

10. Chris Jones

Then it's an idiotic rubric.

I mean, the thread is "Best Coach Ever from SWVA". I'm not just imagining this, am I? It makes me gnash my teeth to do this AGAIN, but it's absurd to have "Position X" as the title to a thread and have "Position X, IF Y" as the measure. And that's before we debate whether me posting a picture of Ira Glynn Carlock, Sr. counts as everyone "seeing" him. See, I can play that game, too.

This is a huge "C'Mon, Man!" discussion.

Might as well have titled it "Best Coach Ever from SWVA Who Eats Pancakes Every Tuesday Morning Just After Downing a Shot of Cognac before Smoking a Cigar on the Way to School". Or "Best Coach Ever from SWVA Who Owns the Entire My Pretty Little Ponies Collection"

Edited by UVAObserver

That i have personally saw, in no particular order

Carlock, Graham was in position for playoffs every year

Mance, The last 9 years speaks for itself

Robbins, Alot of State Championships

Colobro, Gate City always were a threat for at least state Semis

Willis White, His record almost second to none.

Vaught, 1st year of Coaching was state title. Second year he took a AAA team that hadn't made playoffs in like 20 years to the playoffs. Took a Richlands team with hardly no postseason experience in the past, to the playoffs the 1st year and a State Title his 2nd year. Yea i know he had issues, but the man knew football!

Compton's coaching style was Carlock's. Jack learned everything he knew from Carlock.

nothing wrong with that...a lot more to being a Coach than calling plays though, and Compton is top notch in my book.

Guess you have to pretty old to remember these two:

Appalachia's Jim Riggs

Gate City's Harry Fry

Pretty old? I prefer to say well seasoned. :D And yes, you'd have to include both of those legends.

That i have personally saw, in no particular order

Carlock, Graham was in position for playoffs every year

Mance, The last 9 years speaks for itself

Robbins, Alot of State Championships

Colobro, Gate City always were a threat for at least state Semis

Willis White, His record almost second to none.

Vaught, 1st year of Coaching was state title. Second year he took a AAA team that hadn't made playoffs in like 20 years to the playoffs. Took a Richlands team with hardly no postseason experience in the past, to the playoffs the 1st year and a State Title his 2nd year. Yea i know he had issues, but the man knew football!

Actually, vaught got fired at PH Roanoke for using a racial slur after his first game. He only led them back to the locker room.