Word is...

GMan

This setup seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

Why, in the name of all that's good, would you create a district of 5-6 teams for the regular season and a "conference" of 6-7 teams for the playoffs? Is it solely to solve the Abingdon problem? Maybe I've suffered some kind of brain damage, but it seems to me that the significantly less ridiculous proposal would be to eliminate the "conference" proposition altogether and just put the teams in 6-7 team districts.

Therefore, you advance from the district playoffs to the state playoffs.

Am I missing something monumental here, or is this just ANOTHER example of the VHSL being the VHSL?

Edited by UVAObserver

The sole purpose of DISTRICTS will only be for scheduling purposes. Teams will be thrown into different conferences based on enrollment and other criteria. The districts allow teams to keep traditional opponents, rivalries etc for the purpose of scheduling conveniences only. Other than scheduling conveniences districts will no longer serve any real purpose other than bragging rights!

Using Abingdon as an example, they will be the only AAA team in the area, instead of forcing them to compete at the district level and making them travel great distances for all games, they will compete locally in a District and the playoff format will begin with Conference play. This method saves fuel, time and makes some sense logistically!

I'm not saying it is perfect, just telling you why they have done it this way!

Edited by bucfan64

The sole purpose of DISTRICTS will only be for scheduling purposes. Teams will be thrown into different conferences based on enrollment and other criteria. The districts allow teams to keep traditional opponents, rivalries etc for the purpose of scheduling conveniences only. Other than scheduling conveniences districts will no longer serve any real purpose other than bragging rights!

Using Abingdon as an example, they will be the only AAA team in the area, instead of forcing them to compete at the district level and making them travel great distances for all games, they will compete locally in a District and the playoff format will begin with Conference play. This method saves fuel, time and makes some sense logistically!

I'm not saying it is perfect, just telling you why they have done it this way!

This still doesn't make the VHSL's approach any more logical. One could still use districts for NOT ONLY scheduling, BUT ALSO playoffs. One less problem, I say.

And if we're going to be so concerned about Abingdon, how about this: have them play in a AA district during the regular season, but put them in the corresponding AAA district for the playoffs. Seems like such a simple fix, no? And I'm sure some math whiz can create a variable to replace the points that Abingdon would lose because they don't play a AAA schedule like the rest of their peers.

Strikes me the districts are too small. A lot of teams will still have to scramble for games. The proposed larger CMD had an advantage in helping schools settle scheduling woes. Finding four to six non-league games can be tough. The schools that are islands in our area can amend the situation themselves if they had the will power- change attendance zones etc. Seems to me having both a district and a conference affliliation will create more problems in the long run.

Never understood it in Virginia, it has always seemed overly complicated. In WV it is simple. No districts, no regions, no sections, none of that factors into anything. Playoffs are determined by ratings points. No divsion or region or section winners.

How about splitting Virginia into the 6 letters (A, AA, up to 6A), and let each group fight it out? And, does the state need 6 letter divisions? Would 5 work? That would displace a lot of traditional rivals, but it's worth a thought.

This still doesn't make the VHSL's approach any more logical. One could still use districts for NOT ONLY scheduling, BUT ALSO playoffs. One less problem, I say.

And if we're going to be so concerned about Abingdon, how about this: have them play in a AA district during the regular season, but put them in the corresponding AAA district for the playoffs. Seems like such a simple fix, no? And I'm sure some math whiz can create a variable to replace the points that Abingdon would lose because they don't play a AAA schedule like the rest of their peers.

Conferences are only for sports other than football. The conference tournament replaces the region tournament in basketball, baseball, etc. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with districts and nothing to do with football. It just gives you an all-in tournament of similar sized schools that fit geographically, meaning no more first round trips to Roanoke or Martinsville on a Tuesday night.

Football will use the same playoff system that Single-A used last year where each class is divided into two sections of 16 schools each.

Conference 40 - Battle, GC, Lebanon, Lee, VAHigh, Central, Union

Conference 39 - Grayson Co, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, Grundy, Abingdon(AAA)

Would make solid districts

Conference - 47 Council, Haysi, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley, Holston, Northwood

would also make a good, competitive district. But im not sure Holston or Northwood would go for it

Edited by redtiger

I can't understand why so many people think this setup is so complicated...it isn't.

It preserves, for the most part, many of the traditional district rivalries, reduces regular-season travel and groups schools of similar size together for post-season play. This is what the vast majority of schools WANT.

Is it the ideal solution that pleases everyone? Nope. But coming up with that is an impossible task.

I've yet to see anyone who has complained about this system come up with a better one for ALL of Virginia. You might be able to throw together a nice couple of districts that work out okay in SWVa, but try doing it for the rest of the state.

The new plan is a heck of a lot better than watching some of these recent B.S. state tournament pairings where schools have to play against opponents double their size.

I'm hearing now that marion won their appeal and will join the Hogoheegee, and that Battle will take Marion's place in the new district with Richlands, Tazewell, Abingdon, and Lebanon. The other new district in the old Region D will be GC, Lee, VHS, Union, and Central. Clintwood and Burton to the Cumberland and the BDD stays the same.

I really wish Marion hadn't won so Battle could stay in with GC, VHS, and the others. Not that I wouldn't like to see Battle play Richlands and Tazewell, but I like the other district better.

And I'm guessing Marion's move doesn't affect the conferences.

EDIT: Now I'm hearing that even with Marion's move, Battle will stay in the second new district. I'm happy now. But it does seem odd to have another four team district.

Edited by ThomasDenton

Ok im confused in football if Richlands makes the playoffs are the teams they will be seeing the teams in the conference 39 and 40 and that is all the way through state or am i missing a ton.

That's how I understand it too! And if that's the case I noticed Carrol County up there in 4A, wow they will be getting some ass kicking s!

Ok im confused in football if Richlands makes the playoffs are the teams they will be seeing the teams in the conference 39 and 40 and that is all the way through state or am i missing a ton.

I think those conferences are just the AA conferences in SWVA. There should be more throughout the state with more teams that Richlands will see in the state playoffs. Though like someone else on here mentioned, the conferences are for all sports except football, which will remain the same as last year and this year in single A.

It is my understanding that you can forget about conferences in football.

All six classes will work the same as single A works this year.

Conference tourneys will be what Districts used to be, in al sports but football.

Half-state games will be the first round in football for all levels

2A West = Conf. 37-40, kinda like last year when Grundy went to Appo. in round 1.

First game vs. a 2A East will be in the state semis.

-----

5A is what I've been saying for years, but it was voted down by the schools a couple of years ago.