Word is...

GMan

Never understood it in Virginia, it has always seemed overly complicated. In WV it is simple. No districts, no regions, no sections, none of that factors into anything. Playoffs are determined by ratings points. No divsion or region or section winners.

A lot of scheduling headaches in the Mountain State in tandem with the "no districts" setup, as well as the fact that there are occasional controversies about the 17th- and 18th-rated teams that are excluded by the points system.

Comparatively speaking, I'll take "complicated" Virginia over "simple" West Virginia every time.

I want to congratulate Marion on winning its appeal and joining the Hogoheegee District. I know its for scheduling purposes, but we all know that they are building a house on sand. You heard it here first.

lol...kinda like CC being in the SWD when they should have been in the Piedmont or RR?

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/Item%2030-final-recommended-conferences-alignment-plan-for-2013-14-and-2014-151.pdf

Here are your conferences. Again, why this couldn't just be the district setup astounds me.

I'm not prepared to give the VHSL any credit whatsoever for being a forward-thinking organization. (Or by definition an "organization" at all, come to that.)

That opinion stated.....

I've said it before, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some future alignment wherein the conferences actually absorb and completely replace the districts.

Man, they just keep messing with this stuff, i liked it better when I played, District champs, region champs, then state champs, just 4 playoff games to reach state. That was fairly easy to understand.

Personally, I liked the 1970-vintage system as well. When the three Group system was implemented, it was pretty equitable and efficient in its operation.

But the demographics of the Commonwealth have changed significantly since then. In the years between 1970 and 2012, the population increased by over 75% and the density of it has been reconstituted completely.

The new alignment is jolting to those of us who might be described as purists, but I will confess that I am coming around to some appreciation of the logic behind it.

According to the Roanoke Times story (http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/314288), it appears that I will have to issue a retraction of my own.

Apparently the Seminole District leadership was opposed to the inclusion of Franklin County. I'll speculate that the schools within the gravitational pull of Lynchburg feel that the Seminole is competitive enough as it is.

Never understood it in Virginia, it has always seemed overly complicated. In WV it is simple. No districts, no regions, no sections, none of that factors into anything. Playoffs are determined by ratings points. No divsion or region or section winners.

How about splitting Virginia into the 6 letters (A, AA, up to 6A), and let each group fight it out? And, does the state need 6 letter divisions? Would 5 work? That would displace a lot of traditional rivals, but it's worth a thought.

i remember times when bhs did not have 10 games on their schedule because of teams not wanting to play them or travel time. districts aleviate that problem. even now look how far bhs travels to play the north carolina team. if you had districts you would at least have definite teams on your schedule. Also this makes it easier to find fewer non district teams. so i will take the va system over wva system anyday.

@RichlandsAlum: That was the point I was trying to make a couple of weeks ago concerning Franklin County, but you were convinced that my statement about "nobody wanting Franklin County" was not true. I figured you had some inside information that the rest of us weren't privy to having, but it turns out that you were simply wrong and retracted your earlier assertion. Boy, all this "stuff" is indeed a mess!

A " MESS " is a very good description of the VHSL. I know that with the population changes and all that something has to be done, it just seems like they still really have no idea what they are doing after all this time.

I know it's a tough process to change the whole system, but you would think that by now they would have it figured out.

Every time you turn around and it's something different.

I've said it before, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some future alignment wherein the conferences actually absorb and completely replace the districts.

Thats the feeling that i get, and with some tweaks here and there that could work really well

Edited by redtiger

@RichlandsAlum: That was the point I was trying to make a couple of weeks ago concerning Franklin County, but you were convinced that my statement about "nobody wanting Franklin County" was not true. I figured you had some inside information that the rest of us weren't privy to having, but it turns out that you were simply wrong and retracted your earlier assertion. Boy, all this "stuff" is indeed a mess!

I'm pretty tight with the administration of my local school (Liberty). However, like most others on here, I was sharing my own opinion. Assuming I ever have "inside information," you may rest assured that I won't be posting it here.

To the point.... I was mistaken in my general assumption and I'm mature enough to accept responsibility for such.

As my 22 year old daughter would say: "What ev" You didn't state your opinion as your opinion, you stated it as FACT. I am at least your age or older, so maturity is a refreshing concept on a message board. It is also refreshing that you can hold your tongue, uh finger on typing, any tidbits of any potential "inside information."

As my 22 year old daughter would say: "What ev" You didn't state your opinion as your opinion, you stated it as FACT. I am at least your age or older, so maturity is a refreshing concept on a message board. It is also refreshing that you can hold your tongue, uh finger on typing, any tidbits of any potential "inside information."

I've gone back over what I posted previously, and I did not intentionally post anything as a FACT [sic]. Given the tone of my posts, I can certainly understand how one might jump to that conclusion, however.

Offering the following post as a reference, I would point out my use of the terms "apparent" and "just for grins."

http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?p=283807#post283807

I drew attention to my own mistake and I confirmed it when you commented on it. Is there anything else that merits discussion here?

No, there never really was anything worthy of conversation or continued conversation between two fellow members expressing their opinions on this topic. However, you missed the meat of your conclusions with the link you provided. Go back one page and "one" can see that "one didn't make an assumption" of anything; I read your comments and they were: "Probably because that isn't true" in regarding to districts not wanting Franklin County. Here's the masterpiece of my objection: "One point I wished to make is that the Seminole Schools are not actively avoiding Franklin County. The emphasis on the pronoun NOBODY {sic} struck me as all inclusive and would subsequently be incorrect." What one {insert Keith J. Grubb} discerned from those comments is that the author was attempting to share fact not opinion. So, it is I who owes you a half hearted apology for making that assumption. I will continue my exercise of scanning the board for opinions and facts and not posting as much regarding my facts or opinions. Rest assured that would be careless on my behalf. After all, I am not emasculated by my "pee-wee status" on this forum.

No, there never really was anything worthy of conversation or continued conversation between two fellow members expressing their opinions on this topic. However, you missed the meat of your conclusions with the link you provided. Go back one page and "one" can see that "one didn't make an assumption" of anything; I read your comments and they were: "Probably because that isn't true" in regarding to districts not wanting Franklin County. Here's the masterpiece of my objection: "One point I wished to make is that the Seminole Schools are not actively avoiding Franklin County. The emphasis on the pronoun NOBODY {sic} struck me as all inclusive and would subsequently be incorrect." What one {insert Keith J. Grubb} discerned from those comments is that the author was attempting to share fact not opinion. So, it is I who owes you a half hearted apology for making that assumption. I will continue my exercise of scanning the board for opinions and facts and not posting as much regarding my facts or opinions. Rest assured that would be careless on my behalf. After all, I am not emasculated by my "pee-wee status" on this forum.

It would be great, but not essential, to find that you appreciate the film _Caddyshack_. Either way.....

"I like you, Betty."

I started to not respond, least I lose my status as a "Pee Wee" with increased number of posts and become a "junior" or some other scout type rank that may indeed entitle me to a... wait for it... badge down the road! After all, that lends itself to some credible if "one" is so inclined to monitor such things. FWIW, I loved CS and Bill Murray in particular.

I will climb out on a thin/underdeveloped branch and assume that the love of high school sports, or football in particular, was the carrot that brought most of us to this forum. I joined when my son started playing JV ball at CCHS six years ago. I found a source of much needed support here when an injury ended his playing days a couple of years ago. I think once we get past the "stuff" of which school we attended or have an affiliation with to some extent, most of us are more alike than different. It can't be the color or size of my font, so it must be how I use it that distracts some readers? I would just be happy to learn to use the spell check-LOL. Yes, I see it in the upper right corner, but it doesn't work.

I started to not respond, least I lose my status as a "Pee Wee" with increased number of posts and become a "junior" or some other scout type rank that may indeed entitle me to a... wait for it... badge down the road! After all, that lends itself to some credible if "one" is so inclined to monitor such things. FWIW, I loved CS and Bill Murray in particular.

I will climb out on a thin/underdeveloped branch and assume that the love of high school sports, or football in particular, was the carrot that brought most of us to this forum. I joined when my son started playing JV ball at CCHS six years ago. I found a source of much needed support here when an injury ended his playing days a couple of years ago. I think once we get past the "stuff" of which school we attended or have an affiliation with to some extent, most of us are more alike than different. It can't be the color or size of my font, so it must be how I use it that distracts some readers? I would just be happy to learn to use the spell check-LOL. Yes, I see it in the upper right corner, but it doesn't work.

It's all good, Huntercav.

Fact is that I did take some liberties with the King's English in that thread. And frankly, I forgot about it (to the extent that I didn't read two lines back from the previous post that I linked). Also, please understand that I am very nearly a connoisseur of bull manure, having spread so much of it myself on this site alone.

While I abuse the good graces of G-man and the moderators more often than not, I appreciate the value of this site and agree with your viewpoint. Feel free to bust my chops any time the mood hits you.

According to the Roanoke Times story (http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/314288), it appears that I will have to issue a retraction of my own.

Apparently the Seminole District leadership was opposed to the inclusion of Franklin County. I'll speculate that the schools within the gravitational pull of Lynchburg feel that the Seminole is competitive enough as it is.

Round and round we go......

According to the local paper in Rocky Mount (link: http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/article.cfm?ID=23142), Franklin County didn't want to join the Seminole.

I've come to the conclusion that in terms of political intrigue, the old Habsburg Empire had nothing on VHSL realignment.