The sign that's causing alot of fuss

battleftbl

This is the sign that the Battle players and cheerleaders came up with to run through before the Abingdon game. Personally I'm proud of the kids for doing this sign. It goes far beyond a win on the football field. It's about coming together to overcome obstacles that life puts infront of us. More importantly, it's about a coach/AD thats loved by an entire community who is battling cancer. It's about an entire community coming together to support him in his fight.

Looks like some people are making a big deal out of the sign, but IMO we need more of this, not less.

post-6654-137723138762_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have zero problems with that sign...I like it. I noticed that our kids (AHS) wore yellow showlaces in support of the AD. If anyone has a problem with that sign then just tell them that you will pray for them...that'll usually shut the haters up. Then, of course, truly do pray for them. There are just so many people that are so wrapped up in earthly things, like high school football, that they forget what's important...and what is the absolute MOST important.

Yeah, this has really shown the support that our local communities have for each other. Virginia High, Patrick Henry and Abingdon all went out of their way to show support.

It's been nice to see because like you said, sometimes we get to wrapped up in less important things to see the whole picture. Good post.

I'm not sure how widespread the complaining is, but I have heard that some have complained.

It's unfortunate that some people take shots, whenever possible. sad really

Get ready Battle. We had a pre-game prayer on 9-11 a couple years back against Sullivan South and trouble got stirred. South had a player die in a game a week or two before.

We've been praying before every game this season. So far, no one's complained about it (though I've been waiting for someone to, after what happened at GC). This is the first that I've heard about someone complaining about the sign though (I think the AHS game was the first one the cheerleaders did this). IMHO, those complaining can just shut up and go somewhere else if they don't like it. I'm sure these kids (and most of the fans) will fight tooth and nail if someone tries to make them stop. There was an article about some high school cheerleaders in Texas a couple of weeks ago (I think) that had a sign like this and they tried to make them get rid of it. But because they made it on their own and brought it to the school with no help at all from the school, they got to appeal the decision and keep using it for now.

I love the sign and seeing teams pray before the games ! We've let too few dictate to so many for far too long ! The schools and people in general are afraid to show any love for god or for prayer now days because they are afraid of what some might say or do.........it's sad !

My prayers go out to the coach/AD in his fight and hope he wins that battle !

This is the sign that the Battle players and cheerleaders came up with to run through before the Abingdon game. Personally I'm proud of the kids for doing this sign. It goes far beyond a win on the football field. It's about coming together to overcome obstacles that life puts infront of us. More importantly, it's about a coach/AD thats loved by an entire community who is battling cancer. It's about an entire community coming together to support him in his fight.

Looks like some people are making a big deal out of the sign, but IMO we need more of this, not less.

I absolutely loved the sign and am going to ask if we could have several of these made for our 2012 Fellowship Of Christian Athletes Va versus Tenn All -Star Senior Game at Va High on December 15th ... May the Lord bless these students ,the community and our country... I am grateful that because of someone sharing Christ with me ,I am a new person with Christ in my life!:)

personally, im not religious, but i do have to say anyone taking offense to this is way off track. Freedom of speech applies to someone arguing against or for any cause. If this team all feels this way and it doesnt offend or repress the feeling and emotions of anyone involved in teh incident, then by all means go to it and shout it from the roof tops.

Anyone that wants to join at midfield at Lee can join in on pray. It isn't mandatory. This includes players, coaches, fans, etc,. At first they had a problem with it and some problems arose but nothing really came of it.

This sign isn't just for the team. It's also for our AD Coach Perrigan, who is battling cancer. The victory the sign speaks of could also be used for his battle. Our community, as well as others, have really supported him and his family and the school has no part in making this sign. If the students want to do this, then what's the harm?

This sign isn't just for the team. It's also for our AD Coach Perrigan, who is battling cancer. The victory the sign speaks of could also be used for his battle. Our community, as well as others, have really supported him and his family and the school has no part in making this sign. If the students want to do this, then what's the harm?

That's cool and all and that's 'Merica, but there's a chance not all parents, kids, or onlookers subscribe to those teachings. Maybe in this case they do but there's no way to be certain, ever. What if a school your kid went to had a big banner that said "Praise Allah for our wins" that the team ran through? Free country, right? Would you be okay with it?

I'm assuming most people on this board would resort to gun violence to show them whose religion is better.

It's better left for Sundays among like-minded masses.

That's cool and all and that's 'Merica, but there's a chance not all parents, kids, or onlookers subscribe to those teachings. Maybe in this case they do but there's no way to be certain, ever. What if a school your kid went to had a big banner that said "Praise Allah for our wins" that the team ran through? Free country, right? Would you be okay with it?

I'm assuming most people on this board would resort to gun violence to show them whose religion is better.

Whats wrong with expressing faith...If Muslims want to put a banner up ..why not ..better expressing than repressing ..unless you live in North Korea, Syria or Iran where freedom is repressed...

I actually answered a similar question on the CMD board. I wouldn't like it, but I definitely wouldn't resort to violence or anything. Freedom of speech goes for everyone. After having went to two very liberal colleges over the last 5 years, I've experienced this kind of thing a lot. There were plenty of classes (especially art classes) where a lot of the students and teachers just sat around making jokes about my religion and even saying that God doesn't exist and that Christians are evil. I just turned away when it got to be too much, because they do have the constitutional right to say those things. True Christians would just turn the other cheek and pray. When you learn to let go of your pride, it's a whole lot easier to do than you think (though, that's everyone's problem today and a Muslim sign probably would result in a shootout). I would hope that if there were anyone in the stands (and I'm sure there were) who didn't like the sign, that they'd think that way and just ignore it and watch the game. No need to complain and try to put a stop to all of it because that's not freedom of speech, that's taking away someone's freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like it, they can either just ignore it or counter it...just don't censor it.

Whats wrong with expressing faith...If Muslims want to put a banner up ..why not ..better expressing than repressing ..unless you live in North Korea, Syria or Iran where freedom is repressed...

1) It's a public school. It is not restricted to that of Christian faith.

2) Expressing your faith is fine. Wear a cross, pray, meditate, do whatever. Do it on your own time without influencing others.

3) Throwing it on a sign as a representation of the school gives it an appearance of organized faith which can suppress the opposing views of the minority.

4) My point was, at John Battle, if a group of Muslim students wanted a "Praise Allah" sign, everyone here would have a different tune. The word "freedom" gets tossed around pretty freely until conservative views are offended, then it crosses the line into un-American. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

I don't think the sign is meant to offend, harm, discourage, or attack any one of another faith, religion, or non-faith. I think it's obviously a positive gesture to the football team.. but I think you throw it on a church sign down the road and let high school football be just that.

I actually answered a similar question on the CMD board. I wouldn't like it, but I definitely wouldn't resort to violence or anything. Freedom of speech goes for everyone. After having went to two very liberal colleges over the last 5 years, I've experienced this kind of thing a lot. There were plenty of classes (especially art classes) where a lot of the students and teachers just sat around making jokes about my religion and even saying that God doesn't exist and that Christians are evil. I just turned away when it got to be too much, because they do have the constitutional right to say those things. True Christians would just turn the other cheek and pray. When you learn to let go of your pride, it's a whole lot easier to do than you think (though, that's everyone's problem today and a Muslim sign probably would result in a shootout). I would hope that if there were anyone in the stands (and I'm sure there were) who didn't like the sign, that they'd think that way and just ignore it and watch the game. No need to complain and try to put a stop to all of it because that's not freedom of speech, that's taking away someone's freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like it, they can either just ignore it or counter it...just don't censor it.

* I'm glad you wouldn't resort to violence but as you said, you are college educated. I wouldn't expect you to. There are less intelligent people who defend their "religion of peace" by not so peaceful means.

* American Christians have a reputation of hostility. I don't see this as always true but many internationals and non-Christians you talk to see it this way. I think there are bad apples in every bunch that give many Christians a bad name, thus the "evil" tag.

* You shouldn't have to turn away. If people were harassing you over your religious beliefs, you have channels you can go through to make sure that doesn't happen. It's messy, it can lead to other types of harassment, and its often not worth your time. This is what several minorities of religion/culture suffer through every day in America. "What's the use? I can deal with it."

* Why should they have to ignore a religious branding of their school? Is it easy for you to ignore anti-Christian sentiment? I bet it's not. Nothing in this sign was negative, mind you, and that's easier to swallow. Anyone in the stands who enrolled their kid into a public institution and not a religious one for that reason was probably not happy and rightly so.

* It's not about censorship or taking away freedom of speech. Every single one of those kids could say the same thing, mean it, and pray about it. It's a public institution and an escape from religious ostracism. That's the only reason it shouldn't belong on a giant sign as a slogan or motto that represents everyone.

*For the record, I would not have been a parent/onlooker to complain. I would have rolled my eyes but the message was positive. I could easily explain to my kids the situation and circumstances without problem. But not everyone is so lighthearted and forgiving.

Edited by deuceswild